Religious Typology Quiz

If someone says to me that the only knowledge I can have is by experience and observation, I would tell them the epistemology of John Locke was sorta discredited about 150 years ago.

Thought that was Hume who pushed empiricism as the core epistemology. But I'm not sure how that has been "discredited" other than the more absurd ends of hard-core empiricism.

There are many things I believe, suspect, or remain agnostic about which are not within the range of my sensory perception, and may not be resolvable with mathmatical equations or laboratory equipment.

As I said before I see no reason NOT to keep looking. You are right there are things out there that our current abilities would fail to find. But that's not the point. Let's take the Neutrino for an example. It is nearly impossible to "detect" a neutrino, it takes a HUGE amount of effort and luck and isn't always successful (a lot of neutrinos simply pass through the detectors).

No one was just sitting around saying "I wonder if there's a tiny little subatomic particle no one has ever thought of that might be out in the world to detect!" No, it showed up in the mathematics as well as a tiny mass defect during some nuclear reactions so it gave away the need to "find it".

My example of the invisible widget was to say: "why do you think there is an invisible widget that cannot be detected sitting beside you?" Because that has to be answered first before anyone starts trying to find the right detector.

Does that make sense?

I believe in equality and justice, even though there is no mathmatical basis behind it,

Well, maybe not "mathematical" (that's up for debate) it is quite easy to explain it without resorting to any sort of metaphysics. They are both really obvious simple concepts which can exist wholly in the physical world. And arguably they are not "universal" in their value to an animal. Social animals would have an appreciation for these things. But what value would say a lone predator on the savannah have for these concepts?

they completely transcend experience,

I disagree. One can easily experience both directly and physically.

and there is no known law of biology that requires it.

Again, I disagree. Social animals derive an evolutionary advantage by holding these values. They help to stabilize social networks which is critical to the cohesiveness of the social group. As such there's an obvious biological value to these concepts.

Those social groups that hold these values of equality and justice will be more stable and thus more successful.

There's lots of things to believe in which transcend experience and observation.

I don't know how those are experienced.

I am not here to play psychic.
See? That can be taken as snooty, demeaning or playful without more context.

Which way did you mean it?

BTW, me neither on psychic. There's no such thing as magic. IMO, there's only the natural laws of the Universe. Magic is only thought of by ignorant people IAW with Clarke's Third Law:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Thought that was Hume who pushed empiricism as the core epistemology. But I'm not sure how that has been "discredited" other than the more absurd ends of hard-core empiricism.

As I said before I see no reason NOT to keep looking. You are right there are things out there that our current abilities would fail to find. But that's not the point. Let's take the Neutrino for an example. It is nearly impossible to "detect" a neutrino, it takes a HUGE amount of effort and luck and isn't always successful (a lot of neutrinos simply pass through the detectors).

No one was just sitting around saying "I wonder if there's a tiny little subatomic particle no one has ever thought of that might be out in the world to detect!" No, it showed up in the mathematics as well as a tiny mass defect during some nuclear reactions so it gave away the need to "find it".

My example of the invisible widget was to say: "why do you think there is an invisible widget that cannot be detected sitting beside you?" Because that has to be answered first before anyone starts trying to find the right detector.

Does that make sense?

Well, maybe not "mathematical" (that's up for debate) it is quite easy to explain it without resorting to any sort of metaphysics. They are both really obvious simple concepts which can exist wholly in the physical world. And arguably they are not "universal" in their value to an animal. Social animals would have an appreciation for these things. But what value would say a lone predator on the savannah have for these concepts?

I disagree. One can easily experience both directly and physically.

Again, I disagree. Social animals derive an evolutionary advantage by holding these values. They help to stabilize social networks which is critical to the cohesiveness of the social group. As such there's an obvious biological value to these concepts.

Those social groups that hold these values of equality and justice will be more stable and thus more successful.

I don't know how those are experienced.

I don't have time to respond to everything but I didn't say freedom, equality, and justice are metaphysical.

I said there are plenty of things out there to believe in, suspect, or be agnostic about which transcend sense experience and are not resolvable by mathmatical equations and laboratory equipment.

There is no known law of biology that drives us towards equality and justice. If you don't believe that, I can show you ten thousand years of pre-20th century recorded human history, or their heirarchy of lion prides, chimpanzee troops, baboon colonies, and animal ecosystems

I don't have time to respond to everything but I didn't say freedom, equality, and justice are metaphysical.

I said there are plenty of things out there to believe in, suspect, or be agnostic about which transcend sense experience and are not resolvable by mathmatical equations and laboratory equipment.

There is no known law of biology that drives us towards equality and justice. If you don't believe that, I can show you ten thousand years of pre-20th century recorded human history, or their heirarchy of lion prides, chimpanzee troops, baboon colonies, and animal ecosystems

Comparative psychology is a great way to delineate the animal in man and, if anything, what makes mankind different from other animals other than being a really great tool-maker.

I think the person is a young male

That hostility is so young male

BP has improved though I think

The poster is bright but very angry

Could be, but my gut says BP has a feminine personality. Unlike Moon, she's an American so I can read her better. My life experience is living all over the nation and constantly meeting new people. Trusting your gut is like exercising a muscle; it becomes stronger over time. My interest in women was a focal point in using my gut to meet and connect with them. Sex was the goal, but the side result had overlap with people in general. There was also the military and airline thing about knowing who could be counted upon in a crisis.

Could be, but my gut says BP has a feminine personality. Unlike Moon, she's an American so I can read her better.

"I can read her better".

Ah ahahahahahahahahaha!

My life experience is living all over the nation

Oh so you were a hobo?

and constantly meeting new people.

And those people soon learned to regret meeting you.

Trusting your gut is like exercising a muscle; it becomes stronger over time.

Too bad your gut is one massive weak pile of flab.

My interest in women was a focal point in using my gut to meet and connect with them.

LOLOLOLOL. God listening to you is so hilarious!

Tell us more about your "skills". LOLOLOL

"I can read her better".

Ah ahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh so you were a hobo?

And those people soon learned to regret meeting you.

Too bad your gut is one massive weak pile of flab.

LOLOLOLOL. God listening to you is so hilarious!

Tell us more about your "skills". LOLOLOL

Perry, if you really have a PhD then you understand the "sticks and stones" rule.

That means you are smart enough to realize your behavior is that of a child but, for some reason unknown to me, you continue to act like one.

IMO, this is for one of three reasons:
1. You aren't who you claim to be.
2. You are who you claim to be but, while very smart, are very immature. This could be because you're young and a prodigy like Sheldon or that you are older, but defective mentally.
3. You are who you claim to be, you're a normal person but going through a crisis such as divorce, job change, loss of family or some other stressful event causing you to behave abnormally.

Which one is closest, Perry?

Comparative psychology is a great way to delineate the animal in man and, if anything, what makes mankind different from other animals other than being a really great tool-maker.

Some other animals make tools, but we take the grand prize.

I see nothing about biological law or human history that says we are innately driven towards freedom, equality, justice.

In fact, those virtues have generally had to be imposed at great cost

Perry, if you really have a PhD then you understand the "sticks and stones" rule.

That means you are smart enough to realize your behavior is that of a child but, for some reason unknown to me, you continue to act like one.

IMO, this is for one of three reasons:
2. You are who you claim to be but, while very smart, are very immature. This could be because you're young and a prodigy like Sheldon or that you are older, but defective mentally.
3. You are who you claim to be, you're a normal person but going through a crisis such as divorce, job change, loss of family or some other stressful event causing you to behave abnormally.

It's FUCKIN HILARIOUS to see the guy who couldn't get a PhD himself tell us ALL ABOUT PhD's.

LOLOL.

You know far less than you FANCY you do, moron.

...one of three reasons:

It's FUCKIN HILARIOUS to see the guy who couldn't get a PhD himself tell us ALL ABOUT PhD's.

LOLOL.

You know far less than you FANCY you do, moron.

As a career professional, Perry, what is your opinion of people who consistently answer questions with a question?

FWIW, IMO, it's Door #3. I could be wrong.

Some other animals make tools, but we take the grand prize.

I see nothing about biological law or human history that says we are innately driven towards freedom, equality, justice.

In fact, those virtues have generally had to be imposed at great cost

True on tools, but notice those tools are almost, if not 100%, exclusively one use. A chimp will use a stick to dig termites out of a mound. Will it use the same stick to pick his teeth then, later, stab another chimp for being in his way? Certainly not to scratch his name into the termite mound. LOL

Humans have a unique trait of using a stick for multiple purposes. I doubt anyone on this forum could create an absolute list of the ways a human can use a stick, but I strongly believe most could list how many ways a chimp could use a stick.

True on tools, but notice those tools are almost, if not 100%, exclusively one use. A chimp will use a stick to dig termites out of a mound. Will it use the same stick to pick his teeth then, later, stab another chimp for being in his way? Certainly not to scratch his name into the termite mound. LOL

Humans have a unique trait of using a stick for multiple purposes. I doubt anyone on this forum could create an absolute list of the ways a human can use a stick, but I strongly believe most could list how many ways a chimp could use a stick.

Ants and bees are among nature's greatest engineers. Even a spider web is a type of intricate engineering. Are they just born knowing how to do it? Or are they taught?

Back