Rent Control

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
*typical Grind Argument here.

You know my position.

I think this is my new pet issue. Anyone that supports rent control should die. Horrible violation of property rights.

Rent controlled areas actually drive the costs up around here. The building I live in now has some grandfathered in residents under a now defunct rent control law. These people have been living here for $300 a month in their studio and 1 bedroom apartments since the late 70's, and they can't raise the rent more than 1.5 % (I think). I'm paying $1652 for my 2 bedroom.

It reduces the supply of housing on the fair market, and drives costs up.

*typical Grind Argument here.

You know my position.

I think this is my new pet issue. Anyone that supports rent control should die. Horrible violation of property rights.
There is no such thing as "property rights." It's a purely social construct, subject to revision at any time as all social constructs are.

In the practical sense, when we treat property rights as absolute, it facilitates the concentration of power/wealth into the hands of the landed even more quickly than otherwise.

Rent control EVERY neighborhood and the problems with it go away. Therein lies the answer.

There is no such thing as "property rights." It's a purely social construct, subject to revision at any time as all social constructs are.

Very true. I argued long and hard recently that property rights weren't a natural freedom, and that they are entirely social...

It reduces the supply of housing on the fair market, and drives costs up.

How exactly is it reducing the supply of housing on the fair market? That occupied apartment is out of the "supply" whether they are paying $300 or $1500.

How exactly is it reducing the supply of housing on the fair market? That occupied apartment is out of the "supply" whether they are paying $300 or $1500.

Because it has been tied up for many years at a reduced rate. If they were suddenly made to pay market value, they would have to either leave, or pay, and I think most would leave, opening up the supply to the market. Let's just say they were $5 per month to families living under rent control. They would never leave, thus the apartments would not be part of the market forces, thus reduced supply.

Because it has been tied up for many years at a reduced rate. If they were suddenly made to pay market value, they would have to either leave, or pay, and I think most would leave, opening up the supply to the market. Let's just say they were $5 per month to families living under rent control. They would never leave, thus the apartments would not be part of the market forces, thus reduced supply.

That's not necessarily a given though.

That's not necessarily a given though.

When I went in to rent my shoebox I asked about studios, and they said that the studios never come up for rent because they are rent controlled. She said that of the 50 or so studios they have in the complex, they haven't had one come up in 6 years, and that one came up because the lady in it died.

The way housing costs have skyrocketed in the valley over the last few decades (my parents sold their house in '78 for $47,000, and it listed last year for over $600,000), people under rent control simply never move. It ties up a large part of the fair market and guys like me, a working stiff, pay shitloads more.

you commies are living in a fantasy world; rent control everything and you won't have any housing....................

rent control isn't the only thing that drivces prices up due to stifling supply. prop 13 in CA has done it too. my uncle and aunt still live in the same house they bought in the 70's with a fraction of the prop taxes they should pay on the current valjue of their home.

There is also the fact that they work against sprawl and thus in most of the city areas new building is also stagnated.

So I take it Grind is unable to get a rent controlled apartment ?

what is that supposed to mean?

Money has never been an issue for me or my family....

I don't need student loans, financial aid, or anything... we have plenty of money.

what is that supposed to mean?

Money has never been an issue for me or my family....

I don't need student loans, financial aid, or anything... we have plenty of money.
Which is fine, but is a matter of luck. The lucky have an unfortunate tendency to begrudge assistance to the less fortunate: it's one of the oldest stories in the world.

Back