Rent Control

That really sucks Beefy. I rent myself. A four bedroom house with a large kitchen and living room, front and back porch on an acre and a half. Rents $650 a month.

I don't think getting rid of the rent controls would help you though, just gives the owner more profit as the other apartments would now rent for the same thing your paying.

Let me rent a room from you. So long as you don't live in the desert or the bland.

I live in the country, surrounded by farmland and woods. Gotta drive slow at night cause of the deer and an occasional cow getting loose. The rooms are all occupied but if one of the grandkids decides to run away or something I'll let you know.

Yeah, for that kind of payment here I could buy a good house and a hundred acres of land. maybe 200 acres....

rent control isn't the only thing that drivces prices up due to stifling supply. prop 13 in CA has done it too. my uncle and aunt still live in the same house they bought in the 70's with a fraction of the prop taxes they should pay on the current valjue of their home.
Rent control is bogus, but Prop 123 and similar are necessary IMO.

How exactly is it reducing the supply of housing on the fair market? That occupied apartment is out of the "supply" whether they are paying $300 or $1500.

Whatever number of housing units are allocated for rent controll takes away from what would be available at fair market value.

Back