RIP Paul "Pee Wee Herman" Reubens.

I'm from England as many on here know and I fail to understand what's so funny about him. Then again I'm not the only one to be left bewildered as I can say with some certainty that his films have never been shown on UK TV. Indeed I pretty sure that the vast majority of Brits has never even heard of him. It must be an American thing, is there something I'm missing about his 'humour'?

The character of Pee Wee was funny because he was so odd and childlike.

In order to "get" what's so funny about that, one must actually HAVE a sense of humor to begin with.

Something you apparently don't.

When it comes to comedy, Brits are the most biased people on Earth.

You all act like you invented comedy and are the only ones who understand and know how to do it properly.

Worse yet, you look down your snooty British snoots at American humor, which is ironic, since the number one biggest ambition in life for every British entertainer who's ever lived, is to become famous in America and perform over here.

I actually enjoy British comedy, but it's not always funny. Especially the newer crap. The older 70's and 80's shows were good, but there are American comedies from back then that were just as funny and in some cases funnier.

Brits need to expand their horizons and try to stop being so narrow-minded, defensive and insecure about such things.

Peewee acted well in several movies. He could do the job. His playhouse's appeal was that it was not really just a kid's show, but his target was going past the kids to the adults. The kids had no idea what was going on. It served as a kid's show and kept adults amused. That is a tough dance to do.
There are comics that do not seek a universal appeal. Niche comedians want a solid and steady audience. Gilbert Gottfried, Andy Kaufman, Steven Wright Emo and other comedians were not going to get a huge acceptance. Rubens had 122 actor credits. He had director credits and writing too.

The character of Pee Wee was funny because he was so odd and childlike.

In order to "get" what's so funny about that, one must actually HAVE a sense of humor to begin with.

Something you apparently don't.

When it comes to comedy, Brits are the most biased people on Earth.

You all act like you invented comedy and are the only ones who understand and know how to do it properly.

Worse yet, you look down your snooty British snoots at American humor, which is ironic, since the number one biggest ambition in life for every British entertainer who's ever lived, is to become famous in America and perform over here.

I actually enjoy British comedy, but it's not always funny. Especially the newer crap. The older 70's and 80's shows were good, but there are American comedies from back then that were just as funny and in some cases funnier.

Brits need to expand their horizons and try to stop being so narrow-minded, defensive and insecure about such things.

I would agree with you about modern Brit comedy, woke to the max and totally unfunny in many cases. If your yardstick for having a sense of humour is liking Pee Wee Herman then I have that in common with virtually the whole world outside the US.

I love Dennis Leary, Robin Williams, Bill Hicks, Bill Cosby, Bill Burr and of course George Carlin. Amongst the Brits there is Ricky Gervais, Bill Bailey, David Mitchell, Lee Mack, Stephen Fry, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Jimmy Carr to name just a few.

Last edited:
I would agree with you about modern Brit comedy, woke to the max and totally unfunny in many cases. If your yardstick for having a sense of humour is liking Pee Wee Herman then I have that in common with virtually the whole world outside the US.

I love Dennis Leary, Robin Williams, Bill Hicks, Bill Cosby, Bill Burr and of course George Carlin. Amongst the Brits there is Ricky Gervais, Bill Bailey, David Mitchell, Lee Mack, Stephen Fry, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Jimmy Carr to name just a few.

PeeWee Herman was a product of the creative imagination of a very talented comedic actor.

Most people who have a sense of humor and an appreciation for talent, see that.

And BTW, many/most of the American comics you listed, are/were stand-up comedians.

PeeWee was as I mentioned, a comedic actor.

Note the difference.

As for the Brits you mentioned, aside from Ricky Gervais and the two Pythons, nobody outside of the UK have ever even heard of them.

And Gervais sucks.

PeeWee Herman was a product of the creative imagination of a very talented comedic actor.

Most people who have a sense of humor and an appreciation for talent, see that.

And BTW, many/most of the American comics you listed, are/were stand-up comedians.

PeeWee was as I mentioned, a comedic actor.

Note the difference.

As for the Brits you mentioned, aside from Ricky Gervais and the two Pythons, nobody outside of the UK have ever even heard of them.

And Gervais sucks.

Stephen Fry and David Mitchell are unknown in the US, are you 'aving a larf?

Never heard of him.

Doubtful anyone I know has.

Nobody I know is interested in younger generation entertainers of any kind.

Brits do comedic acting better, but they tend to suck at standing on a stage alone with a mic and just being funny.

The guy in the video was amusing, but he's more of a humorist than a comic or comedian.

He could just write and publish his stuff in book form and it would have the same comedic effect.

He's sort of a Brit male version of Sarah Vowell.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE David Mitchell's stuff. He is a genius! (Rob Webb is also a genius but you don't see as much of him as you do DM which is a shame).

Stephen Fry is great as well. I think I like his later stuff (now) moreso than when he was doing skits with Hugh Laurie.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE David Mitchell's stuff. He is a genius! (Rob Webb is also a genius but you don't see as much of him as you do DM which is a shame).

Stephen Fry is great as well. I think I like his later stuff (now) moreso than when he was doing skits with Hugh Laurie.

Yes he is and Nomad is incredibly ill informed. I'm surprised to be honest I thought he was more clued up.

From Reddit.

Could somebody please explain Pee-Wee Herman to me?
I have asked this of a lot of people, and it seems that it is very 'American' humour. Watching over some of the videos, I honestly do not see the humour in them. Is it the fact that it's a grown man acting like a child? From all the videos I could find, it seems that he plays a character out of a children's show, yet there are legions of adults who swear he is one of the funniest comedians ever.

I don't get it.

Last edited:
Never heard of him.

Doubtful anyone I know has.

Nobody I know is interested in younger generation entertainers of any kind.

Brits do comedic acting better, but they tend to suck at standing on a stage alone with a mic and just being funny.

The guy in the video was amusing, but he's more of a humorist than a comic or comedian.

He could just write and publish his stuff in book form and it would have the same comedic effect.

He's sort of a Brit male version of Sarah Vowell.

Grind used to rave about David Mitchell, but then he is obviously more clued up than you seemingly.

Yes he is and Nomad is incredibly ill informed. I'm surprised to be honest I thought he was more clued up.

From Reddit.

Could somebody please explain Pee-Wee Herman to me?
I have asked this of a lot of people, and it seems that it is very 'American' humour. Watching over some of the videos, I honestly do not see the humour in them. Is it the fact that it's a grown man acting like a child? From all the videos I could find, it seems that he plays a character out of a children's show, yet there are legions of adults who swear he is one of the funniest comedians ever.

I don't get it.

Pee Wee was a character of his time. It was the late 80's, early 90's in the US and he came from out of left field. His schtick was the man-child and, to be honest, it worked. It was unencumbered, often kinda subversive but always well-cloaked, silliness.

Grind used to rave about David Mitchell, but then he is obviously more clued up than you seemingly.

I find it funny how you keep on pointing to other people's comments etc, to bolster or justify your own views.

Some zero on Reddit posted a negative comment about Pee Wee + Grind raved about David Mitchell = "See? I am right!!!"

IDGAF about what someone on Reddit or someone on this forum thinks. I have my own views.

I said the guy (Mitchell) was amusing. Sorry if that's not good enough for you. I just don't think he's terribly funny.

I was not a huge fan of Pee Wee Herman, but I do understand that he was a creative artist who created a unique character that will live on in people's memory long after those people you mentioned are forgotten.

Pee Wee was a character of his time. It was the late 80's, early 90's in the US and he came from out of left field. His schtick was the man-child and, to be honest, it worked. It was unencumbered, often kinda subversive but always well-cloaked, silliness.

Brits like serendipshitty have a chip on their shoulder about everything American.

They are hung up on trying to claim they're better at everything.

Back