RIP William Christopher

I think the quality of the show, as well as enough supporting characters, could allow someone to enjoy watching. I mean, everyone liked Potter, right?

The show started getting kind of sappy during the last few seasons, more or less around the time Wayne Rogers as Trapper John left and Mike Farrell as B(low)J(ob) Honeycutt replaced him.

Some of the "worst" characters like Frank Burns and his replacement Charles, were the easiest to stomach because they weren't trying to preach some message. More like cartoon characters you didn't take seriously. And Hot Lips might've been easier to stomach if they'd found someone other than Loretta Swit to play her. Something about that woman just grates on my nerves. Mainly her annoying voice. But even today if I happen to watch it, I keep on wishing someone would slap the piss out of her.

But for the most part, the rest of the characters were OK.

Sherman Potter was a great addition to the show. I liked Harry Morgan in anything he did.

I'm just sorry he wasn't on more shows. Would've loved to see him on Andy Griffith or The Beverly Hillbillies or even Green Acres.

The show started getting kind of sappy during the last few seasons, more or less around the time Wayne Rogers as Trapper John left and Mike Farrell as B(low)J(ob) Honeycutt replaced him.

Some of the "worst" characters like Frank Burns and his replacement Charles, were the easiest to stomach because they weren't trying to preach some message. More like cartoon characters you didn't take seriously. And Hot Lips might've been easier to stomach if they'd found someone other than Loretta Swit to play her. Something about that woman just grated in my nerves. Mainly her annoying voice. But even today if I happen to watch it, I keep on wishing someone would slap the piss out of her.

But for the most part, the rest of the characters were OK.

Sherman Potter was a great addition to the show. I liked Harry Morgan in anything he did.

I'm just sorry he wasn't on more shows. Would've loved to see him on Andy Griffith or The Beverly Hillbillies or even Green Acres.

Sally Kellerman would have been an awesome Hotlips...oh wait...

No way.BJ was the best side guy ever.

I dunno. I always saw him as kind of a smarmy, typical snooty Northern California, wine & cheese nibbling putz.

Always sulking and blabbering on and on about his daughter Erin and San Francisco this and San Francisco that.

I mean, who in 1952 ever named their daughter Erin? That was a 60's and 70's name if ever there was one.

I actually think that even though it was supposed to be set in Korea in the early 50's, the entire feel and spirit of the show was really more tuned in with Vietnam and the 60's.

I think they tried to make the show stylistically more like Catch-22 and Hawkeye more like Yossarian than the book and movie it was based on.

BTW, Richard Hooker (Hornberger), the "real" Hawkeye and former Korean war MASH surgeon who wrote the book that the movie and TV show were both based on, didn't like the show or Alan Alda's portrayal of him, either. The real Hawkeye didn't hate the military and he wasn't a staunch pacifist like Alda's portrayal of him.

realhawkeye.jpg

The "real" Hawkeye standing in front of the real "Swamp" in the real Korea during the real Korean War.

Back