road bikes

thinking.....

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52852&scid=1001&scname=Road

or

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52882&scid=1001&scname=Road

anyone ride? i'm thinking of getting into it....
Yea I ride. I was a USCF licensed Cat#3 racer back in the 90's. SF rides too. Damo used to in the past. I prefer steel bikes ( I own two Schwinn Paramounts), though not the lightest, for sports and fitness riders you get the best ride quality and performance from steel at a good price, there more durable and handle better but will weigh a few pounds more. Unless you're down to less then 5% body fat, those few pounds won't make a difference but there are a lot of good aluminum and carbon bikes out there too.

The problem with the bikes you've chosen is that the first one is a low end aluminum frames that is relatively light and stiff but would extremely harsh to ride (you'll feel every little bump in the road) and it has low end components which will probably only last about a season, are clunky, and tend to cause maintenance problems. The second bike is ok, It's a bit of a better frame but will still be harsh compared to a high end bike but it does have more reliable SRAM compoenents but is nothing to sing about. I think you're wise to invest less then a thousand on a bike if your just getting started but I think you'd get more bang for your buck and end up having a more pleasant riding experience with a higher end used bike with quality components.

What I would suggest is going on ebay and knowing what your size is (if you're 5'10" you'd ride a 56 cm road bike). Then I would suggest bidding on an older bike that's your size like a cannondale or a trek. You'd want to go no less then Shimano 105 or Ultegra for components and try to keep your cost around $500. You're not going to find anything with Dura Ace at that price but there are lots of top notch road bikes you can get on auction for $300 to $700.

Trust me, you'd be much happier with a 10 year old Cannondale with shimano 105 components then you would on these low end new specialized bikes.

The point is, you'll get a very nice entry level bike that you can use to get into shape and determine if this is a fitness sport you wish to pursue. Keep in mind, after you buy the bike, you'll need to buy a tool bag, tools and spare tubes, cycling shoes (maybe even a set of clipless pedals), a high pressure pump, shorts, a jersey, a helmet, gloves, eyewear and water bottles. A heart rate monitor is a good investment too. Keep in mind, you'll spend $200 to $400 on this cycling gear.

The main reason I suggest this approach is you may get a bike, ride for a season and decide it's not your cup of tea....and then you have a $1,400 or more bike sitting in your garage collecting dust or if you do like the sport you don't want to be stuck with a low end piece of crap that can't keep up with the pack.

If you do find out that you like cycling then you can save your dimes and go for a high end bike. A top notch high end bike with last 20 years or more if you take care of it and it will more then pay for it self from the fitness benefits (in the long run a high end road bike you ride for 10 years will cost less then a gym membership and it's more fun). I spent $2,400 on my paramount in 94 and I've kept it in tip top shape and it's still a sweet ride. I bought a 94 steel paramount on auction on Ebay that's not quite as good, but still a very nice bike ( it cost $1,200 in 94), not a spot of rust on the frame and I replaced the old components with new Shimano 105 and I use that bike to commute to work.

It's a great sport Yurt. You're best bet is to find a local cycling club or group that is patient with teaching newbies while they get into shape.

Last edited:
You may want to look at bike direct. For $100 less ($1300) then the specialized with tiagra listed bove you can get a full Shimano 105 Kestrel Carbon Fiber (Kestrel is an industry leader in carbon fiber bikes). This would be a way better ride.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/oz_evoke.htm

The steel bike they list is an even better buy. The frame is made of high end Reynolds 853 steel and it has complete ultegra components. This is a bike that's race ready at only $1300 and would last a life time. This completely blows away the Specialized bike listed at $1400. The frame is far superior and Ultegra components cost about triple what tiagra does.

http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/mercier_serpensIX.htm

I personally prefer the steel frame as steel is more durable and has superior handling characteristics that you'll appreciate when your descending a steep hill, sprinting or running a pace line. Both steel and carbon fiber are far supirior in ride comfort then Aluminum. In the two bikes above the frames are of comparable value. The carbon frame is lighter but the steel frame is more durable and has superior handling characteristics and the steel bike has superior components. (Shimano has four levels of components. Their top end and very expensive Dura-Ace that the pros use, the second tier is Ultegra used mainly by amature racers, their thir tier is 105 for sport and fitness enthusiast and their cheapest tier is Tiagra for entry level riding. I wouldn't own a bike with tiagra. Spend a little more and get the substantially better 105 group. You won't be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Back