Rune's Ancestors

I love how many of these aren't followed in my beloved Seattle. We are notiously passive-aggressive, and viewed as cold by outsiders. As such, we are rarely ever direct or aggressive (we prefer to go behind your back, obviously). We are never prepared (even for the rain, especially for the heat), we constantly make promises we can't keep, etc. A lot of these are group oriented, which, again passive-aggressive people don't pull those off very well.

Our city planning used to be phenominal back in the 50s-70s, such as with the Seattle World's Fair. Thankfully, we have built up some pretty damn fine businesses (provided those businesses don't market a sport) since the coming of the 80s, but our city planning is crap, and our transportation infrastructure is crumbling.

Yet were you to find the areas of Seattle which are predominantly Norwegian, you would discover a different ethos that continues to exist to this day.

Well, England really only traces it's monarchy back to the Norman conquest of 1066. Technically, there were no English kings prior to the Vikings, and thus monarchy was introduced via the Vikings, but Ethelred was Unready!

I guess it doesn't really matter, since William I was descended from Vikings. The distinction is that he wasn't part of the Danish conquests...

Well, England really only traces it's monarchy back to the Norman conquest of 1066. Technically, there were no English kings prior to the Vikings, and thus monarchy was introduced via the Vikings, but Ethelred was Unready!

I am not sure where you are going to get that info but it's wrong. William the Bastard aka William the Conqueror defeated Harold, the last Anglo-Saxon king of England, in 1066 at the battle of Hastings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Godwinson

I guess it doesn't really matter, since William I was descended from Vikings. The distinction is that he wasn't part of the Danish conquests...

None of it matters since the Norman Knights were not French...they were literally North Men.

There were Viking kings in England as far back as the 700s, freak.
Just because you found a wiki link which makes absurd claims about the true dates about the union of England means nothing.

Well I guess that my history teachers at school were all wrong as well.

Furthermore, as 3D points out, the origin of the present day Monarchy is the Norman invasion. Stop being retarded.

Furthermore, as 3D points out, the origin of the present day Monarchy is the Norman invasion. Stop being retarded.

If you weren't such a retarded dildo you might have checked the reason why William invaded England.

The invasion of England by William was triggered by an event that took place in the year 1051. During this year, William met his cousin the English king, Edward the Confessor in England. The Norman history illustrates that during this meeting, Edward being childless gave William his word to make him his legal heir. However, while breathing his last the king ended up granting permission of kingship to Harold Godwine who belonged to an extremely powerful noble family. The death of King Edward in January 1066 and the subsequent announcement of Harold Godwine as the king set off a conflict between King Harold II and William, who desired his rightful claim to the English throne. However, even before King Harold could defend his throne from William, he was defeated by his own brother Tostig and was forced to leave the English Channel. The King finally managed to take control of the situation on 25th September 1066 by killing both King Harold III and Tostig at Stamford Bridge.

However, King Harold could barely breathe a sigh of relief when after 3 days; England was invaded by William at Pevensey. Along with a military strength of about 7,000 troops and cavalry, William captured Pevensey and headed for Hastings. 13th October witnessed an intense battle between Harold and William at Hastings resulting in the death of King Harold II and the ensuing defeat of his forces. Finally, on the auspicious day of the 25th December 1066, William the Conqueror came to be known as the first Norman king of England. This event marked an end of the Anglo Saxon era in the history of England.

http://www.historyking.com/World-Hi...Did-William-The-Conqueror-Invade-England.html

Last edited:
I am not sure where you are going to get that info but it's wrong. William the Bastard aka William the Conqueror defeated Harold, the last Anglo-Saxon king of England, in 1066 at the battle of Hastings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Godwinson

Right here is where you lose it loser.

Harold Godwinson (whom you describe as an anglo saxon) has a Scandinavian name. The so called Anglo Saxxons were repeatedly conquered and ruled by Vikings for hundreds of years prior to 1066, which is simply the date that the present monarchy (also Viking derived) extends from.

You are starting to sound like a typical conservative.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/harold

From the Old English name Hereweald meaning "leader of the army", derived from the elements here "army" and weald "leader, ruler". The Old Norse cognate Haraldr was also common among Scandinavian settlers in England. This was the name of five kings of Norway and three kings of Denmark. It was also borne by two kings of England, both of whom were from mixed Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon backgrounds, including Harold II who lost the Battle of Hastings (and was killed in it), which led to the Norman conquest. After the conquest the name died out, but it was eventually revived in the 19th century.

Did your history teachers leave this out by any chance?

http://www.behindthename.com/name/harold

From the Old English name Hereweald meaning "leader of the army", derived from the elements here "army" and weald "leader, ruler". The Old Norse cognate Haraldr was also common among Scandinavian settlers in England. This was the name of five kings of Norway and three kings of Denmark. It was also borne by two kings of England, both of whom were from mixed Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon backgrounds, including Harold II who lost the Battle of Hastings (and was killed in it), which led to the Norman conquest. After the conquest the name died out, but it was eventually revived in the 19th century.

Did your history teachers leave this out by any chance?

What the fuck is wrong with you? Threedee said that the English monarchy started with William the Conqueror which is not correct. You are so desperate to prove that you are right that you are now reduced to arguing whether those kings were Anglo Saxon or not. :palm:

Back