Second College Degrees

ib1yysguy

Maybe some of you guys have advice to proffer. I'm currently considering retraining in a different field. I'm presently about three credits away from finishing my journalism major, however I'd like to go into electrical engineering. The problem is that there isn't much cross-over credit wise, so I may have to get a second degree before I'm even eligible to apply for graduate school. My understanding is that the feds don't offer financial aid for second undergraduate degrees, however. Is that correct or not? I'm waiting for a reply from a couple colleges I've emailed, so we'll see I guess.

How the heck is someone expected to retrain from a dying profession if he or she can't get federal financial aid? The banks aren't really lending private loans either.

What are some options I haven't considered?

Maybe some of you guys have advice to proffer. I'm currently considering retraining in a different field. I'm presently about three credits away from finishing my journalism major, however I'd like to go into electrical engineering. The problem is that there isn't much cross-over credit wise, so I may have to get a second degree before I'm even eligible to apply for graduate school. My understanding is that the feds don't offer financial aid for second undergraduate degrees, however. Is that correct or not? I'm waiting for a reply from a couple colleges I've emailed, so we'll see I guess.

How the heck is someone expected to retrain from a dying profession if he or she can't get federal financial aid? The banks aren't really lending private loans either.

Can you just not finish the three journalism credits until you've gotten all your EE credits under your belt?

- it may be a stupid question, but its the first thing that popped into my head

Well, seeing as how Journalism and Electrical Engineering are different types of degrees (BA and BSEE), I would reccommend getting a new degree. You are going to be required to take all sorts of classes (math, physics, probably chemistry, etc.) that were not required for your BA as it is.

I agree with Lady T, pick up the degree, regardless of major. For the second, should take you two years or so, whether BA or BS, gen ed is gen ed, and that's done. In all likelihood a couple courses do cross over, I hope.

Being the proud holder of 3 BA's and 1 MS, I feel your pain, cost wise. The reason for picking up the degree, which is soooo close, what if you DO need to work full time, given the economy and all? Have the degree, may not help, but can't hurt.

What about accounting? It sucks, its boring, but it pays the bills an is a little easier than EE.

I agree with Lady T, pick up the degree, regardless of major. For the second, should take you two years or so, whether BA or BS, gen ed is gen ed, and that's done. In all likelihood a couple courses do cross over, I hope.

Being the proud holder of 3 BA's and 1 MS, I feel your pain, cost wise. The reason for picking up the degree, which is soooo close, what if you DO need to work full time, given the economy and all? Have the degree, may not help, but can't hurt.

Professional student! What do you need 3 BAs for? You know that you can pick up added teacher endorcements without getting a plethora of degrees, right? :pke:

Well, seeing as how Journalism and Electrical Engineering are different types of degrees (BA and BSEE), I would reccommend getting a new degree. You are going to be required to take all sorts of classes (math, physics, probably chemistry, etc.) that were not required for your BA as it is.

That's what I'm saying. I need to get a second baccalaureate before I can get into a graduate program, but I'm not sure I can get financial aid for that.

Professional student! What do you need 3 BAs for? You know that you can pick up added teacher endorcements without getting a plethora of degrees, right? :pke:

Trust me, it wasn't part of a plan, needless to say. I started out with double major, journalism and political science. Hey, my first year of college, Nixon resigned. Woodward and Bernstein ruled!

While an ok writer, I recognized I wasn't the next Ernie Pyle, feel in love with a sociology teacher and decided to pair up with pol. sci. dropped journalism.

5 universities later, picked up BA's in pol sci, (U of I) and sociology, (U of Chicago). Went to work for AT & T in management. :shock:

After a few years, took off 14 to raise kids. Filed for divorce, needed to work. Teaching was the best choice for hearing impaired, educated person. However, to teach at less than college, needed to pick a major that would work. History it was, along with teaching credentials. That is how I ended up with 3 BA's.

Now endorsements for teaching? Oh, I'm pretty unique there:

social studies (5-12), language arts (5-12); journalism (5-10); US history (5-12); Western Civ (5-12); Eastern European studies (5-12); Far Eastern studies(5-12); Pol Sci (5-12); sociology (5-12); philosophy (AP endorsed); psychology (5-12); economics (5-12).

That's what 3 BA degrees earns in education. The MS means I can also teach anything I'm endorsed in up to 12th grade, in college.

I resent that remark, Lady T. Or did you know I would resent it and that is why you said it. :D

Immie

Please.....I'm in finance. Believe me, there is no air of superiority coming from this way. It is a stable field and you can find work across all industries doing it. That or HR.

Please.....I'm in finance. Believe me, there is no air of superiority coming from this way. It is a stable field and you can find work across all industries doing it. That or HR.

My middle child is now working on accounting degree, man, *yawn*, though he seems to be enamored.

Trust me, it wasn't part of a plan, needless to say. I started out with double major, journalism and political science. Hey, my first year of college, Nixon resigned. Woodward and Bernstein ruled!

While an ok writer, I recognized I wasn't the next Ernie Pyle, feel in love with a sociology teacher and decided to pair up with pol. sci. dropped journalism.

5 universities later, picked up BA's in pol sci, (U of I) and sociology, (U of Chicago). Went to work for AT & T in management. :shock:

After a few years, took off 14 to raise kids. Filed for divorce, needed to work. Teaching was the best choice for hearing impaired, educated person. However, to teach at less than college, needed to pick a major that would work. History it was, along with teaching credentials. That is how I ended up with 3 BA's.

Now endorsements for teaching? Oh, I'm pretty unique there:

social studies (5-12), language arts (5-12); journalism (5-10); US history (5-12); Western Civ (5-12); Eastern European studies (5-12); Far Eastern studies(5-12); Pol Sci (5-12); sociology (5-12); philosophy (AP endorsed); psychology (5-12); economics (5-12).

That's what 3 BA degrees earns in education. The MS means I can also teach anything I'm endorsed in up to 12th grade, in college.

What's up with your journalism endorcement? I have never seen students study it below the 11th grade level except for perhaps a select few 10th graders that manage to make the school newspaper staff.

What's up with your journalism endorcement? I have never seen students study it below the 11th grade level except for perhaps a select few 10th graders that manage to make the school newspaper staff.

Hey, I don't write the rules of hours and endorsements for the state of Illinois. Talk to Quinn. LOL!

If you can get a high testing score (28-32 ACT or SAT equivalent) you can get significant academic scholarships.

Otherwise, can't you just dump the three credits and pretend journalism never happened? I don't think they can deny you the money if you've never had a college degree and hadn't drawn public funds before. Or at least that doesn't seem reasonable?

If you can get a high testing score (28-32 ACT or SAT equivalent) you can get significant academic scholarships.

Otherwise, can't you just dump the three credits and pretend journalism never happened? I don't think they can deny you the money if you've never had a college degree and hadn't drawn public funds before. Or at least that doesn't seem reasonable?

whats 1280 SAT translate to ACT wise? I took it back when SAT was out of 1600, so I don't even know if my score matters anymore.

Hey, I was shocked when that showed up on my certificate! The state sets those grades. I guess there are lower schools that have a 'newspaper', I guess it would be extracurricular and I could be drafted. LOL!

Hey, I was shocked when that showed up on my certificate! The state sets those grades. I guess there are lower schools that have a 'newspaper', I guess it would be extracurricular and I could be drafted. LOL!

I suspect you are right about the school newspapers and such. Most schools expect teachers to wear several hats.

I worked for a company that gave out private loans for education that you dont need to pay back until you finish school. The name of the company was http://www.firstmarblehead.com/

Back