Second College Degrees

Why couldn't you just drop those last 3 credit hours, get the credits for the degree you need, then jump on these three at the same time and graduate with 2 at the same time?

:dunno:

Cause he's running out of student loan money. This is not a good time to ask for a student loan.

Civil or Mechanical engineering then Computer science are gonna get you paid the highest
$55,000 coming out of school. Accounting is in the most demand and will be for a decade will get you $48,000.
Suck my hemroid on living cost while in school, When I got out in 1984 accounting grads were getting $17,700 and loving it.

So Mechanical engineering + computer science is better than plain software engineering?

IB1 mentioned that the programming field is kind of inundated because everyone knows how to do it, but a software engineer knows how to do a lot more than just program. Can a random guy off the street do calculus and design algorithms to model physics? A software engineer may start out as a programmer, but usually they wind up leading them and telling them how to do what they need to do to make the program work.

Cause he's running out of student loan money. This is not a good time to ask for a student loan.
Then wait. Drop the classes now, wait until it is a good time (can't be too far away, wasn't there billions allocated to this in the Spendthrift bill?), then get the credits needed for the other degree, and at the last moment grab these three and get two degrees at once.

Then wait. Drop the classes now, wait until it is a good time (can't be too far away, wasn't there billions allocated to this in the Spendthrift bill?), then get the credits needed for the other degree, and at the last moment grab these three and get two degrees at once.

It depends on the state where the school is located (also, didn't 1b1 say he's paying out-of-state tuition?). A few years ago, Texas instituted laws intended to discourage students from continuing past a predetermined number of hours (and years to get those hours) required for any degree, up to and including a doctorate. I assume that this is to stop some students from taking multiple degrees instead of getting jobs after graduation, or delaying graduation for one or several reasons.

yeah he'd be way better off in engineering. I hope he wasn't saying graduate school for Journalism.

Keep in mind that a BSEE is typically a 5 year program. Even with the gen ed credits you'd still be looking at least 3 years to complete the BSEE at a normal full time pace. Also understand that a journalism background is precious little preparation for an engineering degree. If your math and physical science skills are lacking you may be talking 4 more years.

Its a 4 year degree at my school. Once you factor in summer classes, he could definitely have it done in two if he did it full time and really put his time in.

Maybe some of you guys have advice to proffer. I'm currently considering retraining in a different field. I'm presently about three credits away from finishing my journalism major, however I'd like to go into electrical engineering. The problem is that there isn't much cross-over credit wise, so I may have to get a second degree before I'm even eligible to apply for graduate school. My understanding is that the feds don't offer financial aid for second undergraduate degrees, however. Is that correct or not? I'm waiting for a reply from a couple colleges I've emailed, so we'll see I guess.

How the heck is someone expected to retrain from a dying profession if he or she can't get federal financial aid? The banks aren't really lending private loans either.

What are some options I haven't considered?

Have you ever considered just being poor?

Seriously though. DOn't waste time getting an engineering degree. Get an mba.

You needed a "rolleyes" icon after that one! It's pretty well established that alone an MBA is pretty much useless. It's only of any value at all if combined as an adjunct with another degree such as engineering, law, or even medicine.

You needed a "rolleyes" icon after that one! It's pretty well established that alone an MBA is pretty much useless. It's only of any value at all if combined as an adjunct with another degree such as engineering, law, or even medicine.

Wrong.

And you're probably not factoring in the systematic abuse and debasement of engineers and technical people.

do a google on MBA salary average

Back