Sin

domer76

Verified User
I listened to an interesting podcast from a Biblical scholar about sin, especially the Original Sin.

She asked listeners, “What is sin” and “What was actually wrong with eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil”?

Her take on sin is that it is a harmful concept to all of us. That it brings on unnecessary guilt. That it causes many to believe they’re always falling short. Never good enough. That, especially related to things like gays and abortion, it brings upon untold suffering to our fellow humans.

Original Sin? She asks why is having your eyes opened, to be aware of and recognize good and evil, to have a conscience and bad thing? As Genesis states, ‘to be like one of the gods’.

For me, an atheist as far as the Christian god goes, there is no such thing as sin. That’s a theological concept. But, I agree with her premise that the concept itself is not useful. And is, in fact, harmful to all of us.

made up book and stories to control the masses.
I’ve heard a couple versions of the sin thing.

Jesus, I believe, just said ‘repent and you’ll be forgiven’. Easy and no strings attached. Admit you did wrong, try not to do it again and all is good.

Then, Paul comes along and adds this atonement thing. Now, there are strings attached to your forgiveness, as well as your salvation. The belief in this resurrection thing and having to accept Jesus as your lord and savior.

Basically, one guy, Paul, redefined it for the rest of Christianity. Pretty fucked up. Too bad Christians still buy that bullshit and can’t return to the original, simple concept.

I listened to an interesting podcast from a Biblical scholar about sin, especially the Original Sin.

She asked listeners, “What is sin” and “What was actually wrong with eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil”?

Her take on sin is that it is a harmful concept to all of us. That it brings on unnecessary guilt. That it causes many to believe they’re always falling short. Never good enough. That, especially related to things like gays and abortion, it brings upon untold suffering to our fellow humans.

Original Sin? She asks why is having your eyes opened, to be aware of and recognize good and evil, to have a conscience and bad thing? As Genesis states, ‘to be like one of the gods’.

For me, an atheist as far as the Christian god goes, there is no such thing as sin. That’s a theological concept. But, I agree with her premise that the concept itself is not useful. And is, in fact, harmful to all of us.
since you didn't bother to provide a link I am left to speculate......which atheist are you pretending is a biblical scholar THIS time?......

Agree. The concept of sin and original sin are extremely damaging and horrible theology.

Look around you and you see exactly what's wrong with eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. The only thing that's "evil" these days is disagreeing with leftism.

I’ve heard a couple versions of the sin thing.

Jesus, I believe, just said ‘repent and you’ll be forgiven’. Easy and no strings attached. Admit you did wrong, try not to do it again and all is good.

Then, Paul comes along and adds this atonement thing. Now, there are strings attached to your forgiveness, as well as your salvation. The belief in this resurrection thing and having to accept Jesus as your lord and savior.

Basically, one guy, Paul, redefined it for the rest of Christianity. Pretty fucked up. Too bad Christians still buy that bullshit and can’t return to the original, simple concept.
What's does "and all is good" mean? Jesus demanded and demands much more from the apostles and us. This is a very simplistic approach you've undertaken. You have focused on the stuff you like and seem disinterested in the other stuff Jesus said.

since you didn't bother to provide a link I am left to speculate......which atheist are you pretending is a biblical scholar THIS time?......
Yep. Biblical scholars.

They’re very easy to find in youtube podcasts. I even listen to the apologists who try to counter those scholars with their dogmatic approach.

But, as one who has no intellectual curiosity, you’ll not bother. You’ll merely punch in with your normal blather.

Look around you and you see exactly what's wrong with eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. The only thing that's "evil" these days is disagreeing with leftism.
I can always count on a few of you idiots for nothing but drivel. You never disappoint.

What's does "and all is good" mean? Jesus demanded and demands much more from the apostles and us. This is a very simplistic approach you've undertaken. You have focused on the stuff you like and seem disinterested in the other stuff Jesus said.
Tell us what Jesus said about accepting his own death and resurrection as a means of eternal salvation?

Since it went over your head, I’ll just say there’s a difference between forgiveness and atonement. Perhaps your little peabrain can figure it out.

think of it as another word for "things you shouldn't do".

should we have laws against murder?

Back