South Side man living proof that new federal health insurance exchange site can work

According to the latest Census Bureau data, 309 million Americans have health insurance.

Of these 4 percent are covered by directly purchased insurance alone.

The remaining 96 percent are covered by government or company insurance or some combination.

Government health insurance does not allow discrimination based on preexisting conditions.

Company insurance typically does not either, insofar as the risk pool is already incorporated in the premiums, and there are portability requirements in moving from company to company.

Thus 12 million people purchased private direct purchased health insurance on the eve of ObamaCare.

Insurance industry studies show that one in eight applicants for private health insurance have preexisting conditions that affect their eligibility or premiums.

This gives a total of 1.5 million Americans who were denied health insurance or paid higher premiums due to pre-existing conditions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2013/10/08/lying-with-statistics-obamas-pre-existing-conditions-crisis/

I'm glad there is no restriction due to pre-existing conditions......I have a pre-existing condition.....of course I also had a pre-existing health care plan that was stuck with me because I had the plan before I had the pre-existing conditon.......now because of the ACA I no longer have the pre-existing health care plan.....

I don't know.....think of all those years when we had a Democrat president and a Democratically controlled congress and it never happened.....go figure.....

granted, we did have a two year window with a Republican president and a Republican controlled congress.......but we also had 9/1/01 and we weren't thinking much about insurance then.......

I'm not talking about now, why didn't insurance companies ever ease up on all the restrictions before? We got Obamacare because our HC system sucks and has done so forever and a day. Too bad insurance companies weren't a little less greedy, maybe we wouldn't have had a system to reform.

Christiekins of Pittsburgh wants insurers to be forced to lose money by government coercion...and we are talking about now.

I'm glad there is no restriction due to pre-existing conditions......I have a pre-existing condition.....of course I also had a pre-existing health care plan that was stuck with me because I had the plan before I had the pre-existing conditon.......now because of the ACA I no longer have the pre-existing health care plan.....

I've mentioned before how I've had to fight insurance companies for migraine Rx, my only health problem, and it involves taking a pill a few times a month. How cheap and greedy can a provider get? My premiums are paying many times over for Imitrex but each time the companies acted like I was pushing for a lung transplant or something.

I've mentioned before how I've had to fight insurance companies for migraine Rx, my only health problem, and it involves taking a pill a few times a month. How cheap and greedy can a provider get? My premiums are paying many times over for Imitrex but each time the companies acted like I was pushing for a lung transplant or something.

How do we know it's not psychosomatic?

I'm not talking about now, why didn't insurance companies ever ease up on all the restrictions before? We got Obamacare because our HC system sucks and has done so forever and a day. Too bad insurance companies weren't a little less greedy, maybe we wouldn't have had a system to reform.

beats me.....I wouldn't know, I got my insurance from a non-profit company......

People like this are going to benefit greatly from Obamacare. He was refused regular coverage because of his pre-existing condition. If, god forbid, Obamacare tanks, where is it going to leave people like Joe Lucas?

"Joseph Lucas is a South Side house painter who has spent much of his adult life without health insurance coverage. In his 20s and 30s, health coverage was an abstraction, and annual physicals were more of a worry for the white-collar set. "I'm a blue-collar sort of person," said Mr. Lucas, who is single. But, "I turned around 40, and figured it was something I should look into."

He did it using the federal health insurance website that has been frustrating thousands of people, as crashes and delays have plagued the site since its Oct. 1 launch...

...Mr. Lucas is an exception, someone who got help using the website and signed up for a plan. He had been waiting for the opportunity.

Through a previous employer, he had obtained health insurance -- then dropped it several years later as his premiums increased. What had been a $90-a-month premium contribution eventually grew to $450 a month. "It became totally unaffordable for me," he said.

Going without coverage is a calculated risk that many in his financial position take, particularly if they don't have dependents. And, as with many others, the gamble did not pay off. Three years after dropping coverage, on Oct. 10, 2010, he was hospitalized with an aortic aneurysm. Eleven days after that, he was given his discharge papers and a hospital bill for $69,000...

...He was also given, going forward, a pre-existing condition in the eyes of health insurers. Not only did he have a hospital tab he could not pay, but he also was looking at annual follow-up CT scans that would cost $11,000 or so a pop without insurance. "I was finding out I could not purchase insurance" following the aneurysm treatment, Mr. Lucas said. "I was either refused" or, in the case of Highmark Inc., steered toward a guaranteed-issue plan. Such plans do not take into account a patient's medical history, but it would have cost Mr. Lucas more than $900 a month in exchange for the absence of underwriting...

..That's when he learned about the provision of the 2010 Affordable Care Act that created a new "high-risk" insurance plan, meant to provide coverage for uninsured people with pre-existing health conditions. Pennsylvania's version, called PA Fair Care, began offering coverage in September 2010. The premiums for PA Fair Care were $283 a month.

Mr. Lucas had a choice of more than 30 plans from Highmark, UPMC Health Plan and HealthAmerica, he said. Ultimately, he selected a "silver-level" plan from Highmark. After a federal tax credit of $233 a month is factored in, his coverage will cost about $150 a month -- a great price, he said, for a 50-year-old man with an aortic condition.

While finding coverage took a few log-in attempts and two days of research, in his mind, that wasn't a turnoff. He describes himself as a centrist Democrat who was "on board" with Obamacare from the beginning, for reasons less to do with his party registration and much more to do with his life situation and health bills.

The Affordable Care Act benefited him twice, he says, first with the high-risk coverage, then with the health exchange and the new rules that say policies offered on the exchange can't account for a person's health.

Minimalist christiecommunistfan915 thinks that a success story about one single person makes Obamacare wildly successful for everyone else. That may be the case for Democrats, because most of them are dumb shits, anyways.

You keep digging, shill. ;)

Back