Spades

How have you been in the military and not been taught spades?

No one I know of at my unit plays spades. A few people are into watching professional poker, but that's all I've seen in terms of cards. We have a lot of sports obsessed people who get really into stats, betting, and playing fantasy.

What other games did they make you play? :cof1:
None. I just learned to play spades to pass the time the week I was there. I did learn my lesson. If you're evern in Arkansas don't mess with the live stock. Saying "Honest your Honor! I was only helping that sheep over the fence." just won't cut it there.

None. I just learned to play spades to pass the time the week I was there. I did learn my lesson. If you're evern in Arkansas don't mess with the live stock. Saying "Honest your Honor! I was only helping that sheep over the fence." just won't cut it there.
You lucky some guy named "Tiny" didn't have his way with you like you had with that sheep. :1up:

We played Euchre when I was in the Navy, it is somewhat like Spades, but better.

How do you know what Euchre is? You're from Colorado. Nobody outside of MI, OH, and IN plays Euchre (I was also the high school champ in Euchre).

how is it played etc

Spades is a team game. It's you and a partner (who is seated across from you) against another two players. The entire deck is used, with the exception of the red 2's (2 of hearts and 2 of diamonds). These cards are replaced with the two jokers, one called the big and one the little. The big is the highest card in the game, and the little is the 2nd highest. The suit spades is trump, meaning that lowest spade (the 3 of spades in most games) is higher than any other card in another suit. The objective of the game is to properly bid how many books (hands) you will take without going over, and to reach either 50 or 100 points first as a team. Taking over the amount you bid is called bagging, and after ten bags, you go back 10 points. Not getting the number of books you bid means you get set, and go back how ever many you bid (for example, getting set on 6 books, means I go back 6 points). There are more game specific elements (walking the SgtMaj, renigging, etc) that can be discussed but that's the basics.

Spades is a team game. It's you and a partner (who is seated across from you) against another two players. The entire deck is used, with the exception of the red 2's (2 of hearts and 2 of diamonds). These cards are replaced with the two jokers, one called the big and one the little. The big is the highest card in the game, and the little is the 2nd highest. The suit spades is trump, meaning that lowest spade (the 3 of spades in most games) is higher than any other card in another suit. The objective of the game is to properly bid how many books (hands) you will take without going over, and to reach either 50 or 100 points first as a team. Taking over the amount you bid is called bagging, and after ten bags, you go back 10 points. Not getting the number of books you bid means you get set, and go back how ever many you bid (for example, getting set on 6 books, means I go back 6 points). There are more game specific elements (walking the SgtMaj, renigging, etc) that can be discussed but that's the basics.

not spades, damo's game. i already said in this thread that I used to play spades.

Back