Spring Fever Gardening thread

PostmodernProphet

fully immersed in faith..
so as not to interfere with the tomato/coffee thread.....

what are your plans for gardening/landscaping once the snow is gone...I have a tree that needs to come down which is going to turn a large area from deep shade to light shade....currently nothing grows well there because of tree roots......thinking of moving a couple of huge hostas (24 inch leaves) to that location as a focal point....I already have a double flowering Rose of Sharon tree about five foot tall there which will benefit from the added sunlight.....this year it will be time to transplant about a hundred hostas which have overgrown their space.....

last year I finished a stone wall for my front landscaping and I need to finish the plantings there...thinking of Japanese Forest Grass....
7235_1048908922203_1810120622_105228_5257040_n.jpg

my wife is always after me to plant annuals, but we only get an hour of direct sunlight a day in the front yard and none in the back yard.....

Last edited:
yes, I've tried a few sedum but I have only one spot in the yard where they do well, a hot, sunny dry spot by the back patio door surrounded by concrete.....with all the shade I have and the creek that runs the entire length of my property, moss grows better than sedum......

I discovered Bluestone Perennials last year and placed an order. They have very nice stock, no wishy-washy dying specimens. And everything is well packed so it arrives looking like it was just dug out.

Our front yard is shady so I'm always scrounging for something a little different, preferably flowering. I want to put a fountain in the back yard this year and find a place for some new roses.

yes, I've tried a few sedum but I have only one spot in the yard where they do well, a hot, sunny dry spot by the back patio door surrounded by concrete.....with all the shade I have and the creek that runs the entire length of my property, moss grows better than sedum......

How about some ferns along the creek?

what are your plans for gardening/landscaping once the snow is gone...I have a tree that needs to come down which is going to turn a large area from deep shade to light shade....currently nothing grows well there because of tree roots......thinking of moving a couple of huge hostas (24 inch leaves) to that location as a focal point....I already have a double flowering Rose of Sharon tree about five foot tall there which will benefit from the added sunlight.....this year it will be time to transplant about a hundred hostas which have overgrown their space.....

last year I finished a stone wall for my front landscaping and I need to finish the plantings there...thinking of Japanese Forest Grass....

my wife is always after me to plant annuals, but we only get an hour of direct sunlight a day in the front yard and none in the back yard.....

I like the wall. Did you glue/cement it all together?

How about impatiens or begonias for the annuals? They can stand a lot of shade.

My plans are to:

1) trim back some of the larger evergreen trees on the property, and;
2) Expand my vegetable garden. I've lived in the South for 14 years now and still can't grow veggies like I used to in upstate NY.

I have to move a mountain of boulders arround in my yard and plan on making some cobblestone walkways and sitting areas.

My property is filled with eluvial plain rounded boulders and I wont have to buy a thing to do this.

Its an awesome way to get a great bodybuilding workout.

One hour of sunlight huh? spider plants, hostas, ferns and pretty much anything that is considered a house plant could be used as an annual in such a place.

If it's round cobbles and boulders its a glacial moraine. An alluvial plain is characterized as flat, comprised of sands and silts. :palm:

southernman has come unhinged since it came out about his wife and the bi/gay relationship. Sad cause he's not getting any now.

How cute!

How about some ferns along the creek?

I love ferns, I have them in the front of my house with two large hostas! I also need to divide both ferns and hostas. I planted two Sitkas roses last summer and hope they made it through the winter, it was so cold for so long.

I planted irises last year, they do well in shade as well as Columbine. My Canadian Crab Apple is my crowing glory in the yard. people stop and take pictures of it in the Summer when it blooms.

Landscaping in Alaska is so different from the lower 48. Houston, the ares that I visited, everything was so manicured. In Alaska we do a lot of flowers. Planters and baskets are very popular. I do both. Begonias go crazy up here, they get huge.

southernman has come unhinged since it came out about his wife and the bi/gay relationship. Sad cause he's not getting any now.
Stop lying. You know nothing about my wife. If you have a beef with me, then don't attack my family.

Topshit is pissed because I have a better education, own nicer real estate, a larger portfolio, and make more money. All things that he challenged me on then fell short.

Oh, and I'm taller than he is too. LOL

You fell short again shorty. :)

This is a thread about gardening, take your childish bickering elsewhere, please

Is it necessary for your to pollute every thread with this shit?

Please don't spread your shit in the garden thread, do you have to ruin every thread with this shit between DY and yourself? Please spare us one thread

growing veg garden in low desert has it's own difficulties.

wish i could figure out how to post a photo, one day maybe.

Last edited:
I live in an apartment, but am moreover too lazy at this point to ever commit to gardening. Therefore, I am going to mooch off of what you all have created. Keep the photos coming, ladies and gentlemen! :cof1:

I like the wall. Did you glue/cement it all together?

How about impatiens or begonias for the annuals? They can stand a lot of shade.

the wall is held together the old fashioned way.....gravity....which is why it took me all summer to build it.....

tried both impatiens and begonias.....at the end of the season they were still the same size they were when I planted them....it was sad.....

pretty much anything that is considered a house plant could be used as an annual in such a place.

that reminds me......years ago I bought three tiny ivy plants for a dollar each that were supposed to be house plants and put them next to one of my trees....they're about nine feet up the trunk now.....

I don't know if you can make it out, but to the right of the farthest tree you can see my 1919 Oliver walking plow which still has it's original wooden beam.....

7235_1048908962204_1810120622_105229_4277091_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back