Spring Fever Gardening thread

I don't know if you can make it out, but to the right of the farthest tree you can see my 1919 Oliver walking plow which still has it's original wooden beam.....

7235_1048908962204_1810120622_105229_4277091_n.jpg

Very nice, PMP, and I see the plow.

I live in an apartment, but am moreover too lazy at this point to ever commit to gardening. Therefore, I am going to mooch off of what you all have created. Keep the photos coming, ladies and gentlemen! :cof1:

I moved into a neighborhood with many retirees. Some have garden contracts and their trees are shaped while others have continued to pick at their trees pruning them to the point where they died.

Me? I planted about a dozen more trees and the house is barely visible from the street. An eight foot cedar hedge encloses the back yard. One neighbor commented that when he looks out his living room window it reminds him of being up north.

I prune just the bare necessities like the blue spruce beside the front walk. The upper branches hang over the walk-way.

Grow baby, grow!

I've always hated formal gardens with rows of shrubs shaped like spheres and diamonds.....I only removed damaged growth or branches that will eventually rub away at a neighboring branch......

My "tomatoes" are doing fine, and the expertise gain growing them makes me want to attemp some of the plants I saw on Catalina island. Elephant tree and old man cactus.

I love organic gardening, and use manure for most of my fertilizer needs.

But I have to agree with Rana on this one. Take the shit someplacce else.

I've always hated formal gardens with rows of shrubs shaped like spheres and diamonds.....I only removed damaged growth or branches that will eventually rub away at a neighboring branch......

Yeah, I never cared much for the formal or English Gardens. I like my plants to be a riot of growth.

Yeah, I never cared much for the formal or English Gardens. I like my plants to be a riot of growth.

When I moved here my neighbor was a retired, English chap. He had a few trees in pots. The pots were 3 feet high and the trees 5-6 feet. The rest of the lawn and scrubs were manicured.

Anyway, I proceeded to plant a six foot cedar hedge the length of the fence on my side. I told him I was going to let it grow to 8 feet. I explained it wasn't because I didn't like him. HA!

"You have a big house. One day you'll sell and a young family will buy it. They'll have kids, their friends visiting, maybe a pool in the backyard, etc. This hedge will ensure privacy", I told him.

Sure enough he sold a few years later and a young family purchased the home. They now have two young children and a back yard pool.

The man dropped by a year later and told me I called that one right!

It was logical a retired couple wouldn't be buying a two-story home.

The new neighbors are great. He's a lawyer and his wife a teacher. They don't have time for gardening so I go over and trim the hedge a bit on his side.

Good hedges make for good neighbors. :)

If it's round cobbles and boulders its a glacial moraine. An alluvial plain is characterized as flat, comprised of sands and silts. :palm:

It was a glacial moraine and is filled with rounded boulders and rounded cobble.

Its also an ALUVIAL fan.

Its the inland impire area east of LA.

The soil is awesome beautiful black soil and when you dig in it there are these gorgeous rocks and boulders.

Its like a treasure hunt every time I dig.

This whole area used to be filled with farms of all kinds and you can grow nearly aything in this wether and soil.

My particular little chunk of this land used to be an apricot orchard.

I used to have one of the trees still in my yard until a renters neglect killed it.

It had the biggest, tastiest apricots I have ever sampled.

My son still mourns that tree and is still searching for the apricot to equal that fruit.

Now no more renters in this house and I can fine tune the yard.

Thanks for the link.

You're welcome. The site also offers landscape design and a free course composed of a number of emails. Lots of info there.

My crocus came up last week and a bunny ate all the flowers. I suppose it's my fault as I feed the bunnies all winter. The suburb where I live is developing and the bunny habitat is going so they moved in under my garden shed.

I leave the feed on the back porch and they stop by just before the sun comes up. They're quite tame considering. I can get within about 15 feet of them before they run away. The babies move so fast they're almost a blurr as they go by.

I suppose it all has to do with growing up watching the Buggs Bunny/Road Runner Show.

we've either had rain or cold every weekend.....haven't had a chance to do anything yet except pick up fallen branches......plus my son bought his first home (a foreclosure reclamation) last month, so now I have two places to work on....

we've either had rain or cold every weekend.....haven't had a chance to do anything yet except pick up fallen branches......plus my son bought his first home (a foreclosure reclamation) last month, so now I have two places to work on....

Nothing more satisfying than turning an ugly duckling into a swan.

Peas went in three weeks ago. I've cut the grass 5 times. I built a 9 square foot planter off the deck for lettuce and herbs, and filled it with 12 cubic feet of potting soil. My wife seeded it while I started all my garden seedlings three nights ago.

Volunteers are awesome. I've transplanted trees from my parent's place in Cape Cod Massachusetts to my old house in Upstate New York and they did much better than trees I bought at the local nursery. Here I have some cedars that sprung up in planting beds and have transplanted those to the back yard to make a random hedge.

these are not awesome.....not only are they growing about three inches from his foundation, I suspect (though they haven't started leafing yet) that they are sumac which is a horrible weed tree around here......

Yeah that's a trash tree. I cut 7 of them out of my mother-in-laws house one weekend a long time ago, before I asked her daughter to marry me. They were all 8-10" caliper, and several overhanging the house and deck. After she saw me take them all down with my "pendulum" technique which uses ropes to swing the tree out of the way while it falls, do no damage to the house, then de-limb and clear, chunk and stack, she was convinced that I was the man for her daughter.

when I first moved here I had one such tree on the far bank of the creek.....I cut it down, it was only about a three incher.....the next year I had no less than fifty volunteers springing up from its roots, and it took me nearly twelve years to finally kill the bastard.....

Back