States I've Been to...

I don't know if it's any worse than Massachusetts is said to be, but I'm told the drivers up there are truly Mainiacs.

I met a guy in Maine who put a bike rack on the front of his pick-up and drove around in the early morning hours trying to kill a deer for the table, out of season...
He claimed to bag at least two deer a year like that, impaling them with the rack...
He didn't even own a bike...
Maine has some crazy motherfuckers.

90% of the important history of the country is between DC and Boston, rube.
Just because people on the right coast talk to fast for you to understand sheepfucker
It certainly is a very important part of the country. It's also one of the ugliest parts of the country and damned dreary. Post industrial malaise for nearly 500 miles.

And the people are some of rudest, vulgar and least hospitable in the country. The north east and south central are the least hospitable region of the country I've been too.

Last edited:
It certainly is a very important part of the country. It's also one of the ugliest parts of the country and damned dreary. Post industrial malaise for nearly 500 miles.

And the people are some of rudest, vulgar and least hospitable in the country. The north east and south central are the least hospitable region of the country I've been too.

Rt. 95 is not indicative.
The people are not rude they just don't pander to hick sheepfuckers

I visited NYC over the thanksgiving break, so I have a few more states to add to my list:

AL-DC-DE-FL-GA-LA-MD-MS-NC-NJ-NY-PA-SC-TN-TX-VA.png

NYC is a weird place. Everywhere smells like piss. I ate dinner at a sandwich shop that also sold dishwashing liquid and Raid. It was probably the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life.

I also went to Central Park, Times Square, and the Freedom tower, and became much poorer after having spent just 6 hours there. It was the worst planned trip I think I've ever been on.

Arlington is nice, so is the national mall and NYC (at least at night). The rest of it, yeah, it's an eyesore.

If I subtract states that I just drove through and made no meaningful stops, it would be NC, SC, NJ, and DL. Seriously, NJ is just the place that you go through on the way to New York, I don't know why anyone lives there.

If I subtract states that I just drove through and made no meaningful stops, it would be NC, SC, NJ, and DL. Seriously, NJ is just the place that you go through on the way to New York, I don't know why anyone lives there.
of the 37 States I've been too only three were drive throughs or airport stop overs. California, Hawaii and Oklahoma. In terms of scenic grandeur I'm sure the Rockies is the most remarkable in the nation. Unfortunately I have not been to any of the Rocky Mountain States. I intend to correct that soon. I plan on going to Colorado this summer to see U.S. Challenge bike race.

Of the rest of the regions I've been too the Upper Great Lakes region is the most scenic with Appalachia coming in a close second. Once you get west of Appalachia's piedmont region heading west into the heartland the great river valley regions are pretty amazing too but once you get out of the river valleys its, farm, farm, farm, small town, farm, farm farm, small town, more farms, etc. It's like that from Columbus, OH for a 1,000 miles west where civilization peters out into the great plains. Pretty boring stuff. Having said that you can't help but be impressed by how productive that land is. It's "you can't get your head around it." colossally huge. Sucks driving through it though.

In regards to the people. From most hospitable to least (not including the 13 Western States I have not been too), The most congenial, friendly and hospitable people by far and away are the folks of the upper great lakes region. I'll throw Iowa and Nebraska into that region too as they do fit culturally. There isn't a cleaner, nicer, laid back and friendly metro area to live in than Minneapolis/St. Paul. Next friendliest is the south east Atlantic Coast region. It amazes you that people so nice, and friendly can be real Nazi's when it comes to politics. I would say the upper great lakes folks are nicer but the South Eastern folk are some of the politest. The North East megalopolis is a trip. You'll be in a bar talking to a really nice person. Then when they leave they'll step over a guy on the floor having a heart attack and not even notice him.

New England is a very scenic area but a large part of the population share the hard assed industrial out look that is also present in the rust belt States of "It's a cold hard cruel world and no one gives a shit about you other than family.". Right and Tin Hat remind me of many of the New Englanders I've known. They are definitely not as insular though as most small Midwestern towns where if you haven't lived there for 20 years then your a new person and a social mushroom. That's probably one aspect of rust belt Midwesterners that really puts people at ill ease is that we can be so cordial and polite for 5 minutes towards you and then it's like we just completely wipe you from our minds and act like you're not even there.

The South Central region carries that attitude to an extreme. West Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Southern Missouri. Were a small town rust belter is polite for 5 minutes then forgets about you I've never been to any place on this country where folks are so hostile towards strangers or people who don't conform to a certain identity. The South is supposed to be famous for it's hospitality and I saw lots of that in the south east states...not so much in south central. Just a real mean and surly and resentful general red neck attitude there. Just a disproportionate number of people with a chip on their shoulder. On the other hand if you conformed to the local social patterns they'd thaw fairly quickly. Not like the rural Midwest where they start to thaw after 5 to 10 years. If your a non-conformist type...I don't think the central south region would be for you.

Back