Survivalism: harmless hobby or paranoid fear?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date

Are survivalists kidding themselves?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
G

Guns Guns Guns

SurvivalUnderAtomicAttack.jpg

Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists or preppers) who are actively preparing for emergencies as well as possible disruptions in social or political order, on scales ranging from local to international. Survivalists often have emergency medical and self-defence training, stockpile food and water, prepare for self-sufficiency, and build structures that will help them survive or "disappear" (e.g. a survival retreat or underground shelter).

Anticipated disruptions include the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

Discuss...

There are countless situations that can arise that a bit of planning can help a great deal. Post natural disastors are one that comes to mind. After a major disastor, the predators and scavengers come out of the woodwork like roaches. Being able to provide your family with food, clean water, first aid, and physical protection falls into your lap. The authorities will not be of any help for possibly weeks or longer.

I do not understand why people ridicule or even fear preppers. If they are planning for something that will not happen, why does anyone care? If something does happen and you are depending on the authorities to help you, why not be glad there are those who won't be adding to the number of people needing assistance?

It seems, at worst, a harmless hobby. Much better than some hobbies that seem totally socially acceptable.

There are countless situations that can arise that a bit of planning can help a great deal. Post natural disastors are one that comes to mind. After a major disastor, the predators and scavengers come out of the woodwork like roaches. Being able to provide your family with food, clean water, first aid, and physical protection falls into your lap. The authorities will not be of any help for possibly weeks or longer. I do not understand why people ridicule or even fear preppers. If they are planning for something that will not happen, why does anyone care? If something does happen and you are depending on the authorities to help you, why not be glad there are those who won't be adding to the number of people needing assistance? It seems, at worst, a harmless hobby. Much better than some hobbies that seem totally socially acceptable.

Thanks for your input.

Who said they "fear" survivalists?

There is, quite literally, a 100% chance of something happening that will cause distress to human survival on this planet. Will we be prepared as a specie? Maybe, if we're lucky enough that it comes far future.

Until the time we are prepared to deal with such a disaster as could come from any number of different avenues survivalists ensure the survival of our specie.

There is, quite literally, a 100% chance of something happening that will cause distress to human survival on this planet. Will we be prepared as a specie? Maybe, if we're lucky enough that it comes far future. Until the time we are prepared to deal with such a disaster as could come survivalists ensure the survival of humanity should it happen before we are prepared.

So survivalism is a harmless hobby?

Yes. I have said, more than once in this thread, that I believe some people fear preppers.

So when I asked "who said they fear survivalists", and you replied "I did", what you really meant was that somebody else does?

So survivalism is a harmless hobby?

It is a necessity, whether you want to mock them or not they are the ones that will survive if the stuff hits the fan before we are ready to deal with it. It's a repeating meme, shoot even humanity has suffered a near extinction in our short existence on this planet.

I certainly did. I said that people fear the preppers.

Looks like you said "I did" when I asked who said they fear survivalists....so, who said they fear survivalists, since you now deny having said that you do?

It is a necessity, whether you want to mock them or not they are the ones that will survive if the stuff hits the fan before we are ready to deal with it.

Did I say I want to mock them? Tell me more about your ability to foretell the future....

It's a repeating meme, shoot even humanity has suffered a near extinction in our short existence on this planet.

Humanity has suffered a near extinction in our short existence on this planet?

When was that?

Looks like you said "I did" when I asked who said they fear survivalists....so, who said they fear survivalists, since you now deny having said that you do?

I admitted saying that I said that people fear preppers. I have not changed what I said. Perhaps I misunderstood the question or you misunderstood the answer.

Back