Survivalism: harmless hobby or paranoid fear?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date

Are survivalists kidding themselves?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
of course some people fear preppers. they also ridicule them because of that fear. It's simple cowardice on their part though. it's a self fulfilling prophecy of death though, considering the last multiple page thread about preppers. some nanny staters feel it's stupid to 'prep' for anything more than 3 weeks because the government will have everything resolved by then, or at least they'll be out taking care of their children citizens. And if they aren't, some think it will be a simple thing to either take the preppers supplies and share them among the populace, or kill them if they refuse to share.

Did I say I want to mock them? Tell me more about your ability to foretell the future....
Your OP is openly mocking, and it has nothing to do with "telling the future". It is simple reality. Something will come, a supercaldera, a comet, disease, scientific accident...

If we are not ready to deal with it technologically these people will survive while those of us who are not survivalists will not.

Humanity has suffered a near extinction in our short existence on this planet?

When was that?

Here is a link you should read: http://io9.com/5501565/extinction-events-that-almost-wiped-out-humans

Roughly 70,000 years ago, give or take a few thousand years, an enormous eruption occurred in what is now Sumatra, leaving behind Lake Toba (the crater lake pictured above). The eruption coincides with a population bottleneck that is often cited as the reason for the relatively low genetic diversity across Homo sapiens sapiens. Research suggests as few as 2,000 humans (actual homo sapiens) were left alive by the eruption and its aftereffects.

2,000 total humans on the planet after one volcanic eruption... and that is just one of the events. Earlier events nearly killed off the Homo genus several times. If any one of them caused full extinction rather than just a population bottleneck (that one with 2,000 humans is one of epic proportions), we would not exist today.

I watched it on the Smithsonian Channel a while back, some show with Hawking stating that the only way to ensure our survival is to spread humanity to more than one solar system.

However events like this one happen, pretending they don't exist is just foolish. That particular event linked there killed of 90% of all animal and plant life on the planet...

of course some people fear preppers. they also ridicule them because of that fear. It's simple cowardice on their part though. it's a self fulfilling prophecy of death though, considering the last multiple page thread about preppers. some nanny staters feel it's stupid to 'prep' for anything more than 3 weeks because the government will have everything resolved by then, or at least they'll be out taking care of their children citizens. And if they aren't, some think it will be a simple thing to either take the preppers supplies and share them among the populace, or kill them if they refuse to share.

Can you explain how you "know" these things?

Your OP is openly mocking, and it has nothing to do with "telling the future".

Mocking? How so?

It is simple reality. Something will come, a supercaldera, a comet, disease, scientific accident...

Or global warming?

If we are not ready to deal with it technologically these people will survive while those of us who are not survivalists will not.

So you can foretell the future.

Thanks, I will.

Roughly 70,000 years ago, give or take a few thousand years, an enormous eruption occurred in what is now Sumatra, leaving behind Lake Toba (the crater lake pictured above). The eruption coincides with a population bottleneck that is often cited as the reason for the relatively low genetic diversity across Homo sapiens sapiens. Research suggests as few as 2,000 humans (actual homo sapiens) were left alive by the eruption and its aftereffects.

Research? Not the Bible?

2,000 total humans on the planet after one volcanic eruption... and that is just one of the events.

Was there an official count?

Say, don't some people think Noah and crew were the only survivors of a great flood?

Were they survivalists?

I watched it on the Smithsonian Channel a while back, some show with Hawking stating that the only way to ensure our survival is to spread humanity to more than one solar system.

Send me a postcard when you get there, will you?

However events like this one happen, pretending they don't exist is just foolish. That particular even linked there killed of 90% of all animal and plant life on the planet...

So you live in fear?

Care to explain how some beans and bottled water combined with guns n' ammo will stave off a world-ending event?

Care to explain how some beans and bottled water combined with guns n' ammo will stave off a world-ending event?

So have some extra beans, bottled water, guns, and ammo is all it takes to be a prepper? Sounds like some unprepared preppers.

But, by having stored food, water, and a means of protecting yourself, you can survive when most others will not. The "world ending" events described in the link did not kill everything on the planet. Those with proper preparations and skills can survive when those who have no skills and preparations will die.

Not difficult to understand.

Mocking? How so?
Right. You didn't mean that then... :rolleyes:

Or global warming?
Maybe.

So you can foretell the future.
You are clearly symptomatic of RCDD. This is like telling you that someday everybody we know will be dead. It is simply true and has nothing to do with prognostication.

Thanks, I will.

You're welcome.

Research? Not the Bible?
Reminder for the RCDD sufferers with memory malfunctions. I'm a Buddhist.

Was there an official count?
First, are you admitting that you didn't read the article? And are you saying that scientific method isn't good enough for you?

Say, don't some people think Noah and crew were the only survivors of a great flood?

Again, Buddhist here.

Were they survivalists?

If the story were true then I guess they must be.

Send me a postcard when you get there, will you?
You are now being purposefully stupid. I don't know why you would want to do that.

So you live in fear?
Nope. But the temporary nature of current reality is a large part of Buddhism. I don't live in fear any more than somebody else who can tell you that someday I will die. It is simply true.

Are you going to continue to pretend you are not mocking here?

Is you misunderstanding my answer the only option?

You included it here:

I admitted saying that I said that people fear preppers. I have not changed what I said. Perhaps I misunderstood the question or you misunderstood the answer.

Now, did I misunderstand your answer ("I did") when I asked who said they fear survivalists?

You included it here:

Now, did I misunderstand your answer ("I did") when I asked who said they fear survivalists?

You are dancing around again. Did I give you only one option or two? You seem to think the only option is that you did not understand my answer. If that is true, we are fine. However, it was not the only option I listed. Further discussion of so trivial a matter seems like a waste of time.

You included it here:

He answered, "I said they fear survivalists."

I can't read it to you any slower than that, so just read it slowly. Sometimes people with RCDD need to mouth the words.. Some even have to whisper while they read.

Right. You didn't mean that then...

So you admit you had no reason to say I was engaged in mockery. Thanks.

You're welcome.

This is like telling you that someday everybody we know will be dead. It is simply true and has nothing to do with prognostication.

If we'll all be dead, then how will survivalists keep living?

I'm a Buddhist.

Your signature line proudly proclaims your belief system. Are you having doubts?

Are you saying that scientific method isn't good enough for you?

Did I say that?

Again, Buddhist here.

Do you have to remind yourself frequently?

If the story were true then I guess they must be.

So Buddhists believe the literal truth of the Bible?

You are now being purposefully stupid. I don't know why you would want to do that.

Perhaps because I'm not, and wouldn't.

Are you going to continue to pretend you are not mocking here?

Wow, maybe you should resume smoking. You just admitted you had no basis for saying that, didn't you?

So you admit you had no reason to say I was engaged in mockery. Thanks.
Incorrect. And yet another sign that you have RCDD.
If we'll all be dead, then how will survivalists keep living?
Wow. Do you think we'll not have children... who later will also die, after most have children? Or do you believe that you will somehow live for eternity unlike every other human who came before?
Your signature line proudly proclaims your belief system. Are you having doubts?
No.
Did I say that?
Read the article it tells you how they come up with the figure. You can also do more research into the event.
Do you have to remind yourself frequently?
Apparently I have to remind you frequently.
So Buddhists believe the literal truth of the Bible?
RCDD again. Do you know what the word "if" means?
Perhaps because I'm not, and wouldn't.
Then it is accidental stupidity? I don't care which, the result is the same.
Wow, maybe you should resume smoking. You just admitted you had no basis for saying that, didn't you?
No, I did not.

it's called psychology. knowing how and why some people think. it's not that difficult if one likes to study things other than their chosen field of expertise.

You should get together with Damocles. He keeps referring to something called 'RCDD'.

I admitted saying that I said that people fear preppers. I have not changed what I said. Perhaps I misunderstood the question or you misunderstood the answer.

Now, in this post (to which you keep referring), did I give you only one option for what happened? Is you misunderstanding the ONLY option listed here?

Now, in this post (to which you keep referring), did I give you only one option for what happened? Is you misunderstanding the ONLY option listed here?

What did I misunderstand?

I asked "who said they fear survivalists" and you replied "I did".

What did I misunderstand?

Did I say the only possibility what that you misunderstood? So far you seem bound and determined that it is.

Perhaps you could reread it one more time and grasp the meaning of what I said.

But that is just more trivial diversion. The fact is, I am not afraid of preppers. But some people ARE afraid of preppers. The fact that most preppers have guns means that some people are scared of them.

But the preppers are just people who think having homeowners insurance, fire extinguishers and a few smoke alarms is not enough. So they take it upon themselves to be prepared for disastors, whatever their origins might be.

Did I say the only possibility what that you misunderstood? So far you seem bound and determined that it is. Perhaps you could reread it one more time and grasp the meaning of what I said. But that is just more trivial diversion. The fact is, I am not afraid of preppers. But some people ARE afraid of preppers. The fact that most preppers have guns means that some people are scared of them. But the preppers are just people who think having homeowners insurance, fire extinguishers and a few smoke alarms is not enough. So they take it upon themselves to be prepared for disastors, whatever their origins might be.

LOL, you won't admit it was you that misunderstood, will you?

Very telling that you and your "allies" carefully avoid the term "survivalist"....

So who are these fearful folks?

LOL, you won't admit it was you that misunderstood, will you?

Very telling that you and your "allies" carefully avoid the term "survivalist"....

So who are these fearful folks?

I think I admitted it. It was you who stayed focused on only one portion of my statement. I am not avoiding using the word survivalist. I just think that is a misnomer. We all want to survive. But few actually prepare for disasters. So the word "preppers" is more accurate.

And thanks for being such a diligent spell-checker.

Last edited:
Back