Teens who use marijuana are more likely to suffer psychotic disorders

Neither alcohol or weed is good for anyone to be used recreationally. Just because one is worse than the other doesnt mean the other is without warts. They both damage the user in their own way.

Teenagers who used cannabis within the last year had a dramatically higher rate of developing a psychotic disorder, according to a study published Wednesday.

The study, led by researchers from the University of Toronto, found an 11 times higher risk of developing a psychotic disorder among teenagers who used cannabis compared with those who did not. When the analysis was limited to just emergency room visits and hospitalizations, there was a 27-fold increase in psychotic disorders in teenagers who had used the drug.

sure glad they made this stuff legal
I think they should ban milk. did you know that every single person who has a psychotic disorder started out drinking milk?

When an overwhelming majority of teenagers smoke pot it stands to reason that when it comes to mental disorders that most will be with those who get high.

okay, now look.....studies show young people tend to be more lib'rul......studies show young people tend to use more weed......studies show young people who are lib'ruls more likely to have a psychotic disorder.......studies show young people who use weed are more likely to have a psychotic disorder.......which comes first, the chicken or the egg......

Teenagers who used cannabis within the last year had a dramatically higher rate of developing a psychotic disorder, according to a study published Wednesday.

The study, led by researchers from the University of Toronto, found an 11 times higher risk of developing a psychotic disorder among teenagers who used cannabis compared with those who did not. When the analysis was limited to just emergency room visits and hospitalizations, there was a 27-fold increase in psychotic disorders in teenagers who had used the drug.

A psychotic disorder like leftism?

LOL. The language in the study is nonsense. They have it backwards. People with psychotic disorders might self medicate with weed.
The study seems to say that was taken into account, but it's not clear how. I agree it seems obvious kids with what might be described as psychic disorders, e.g., ordinary growing up issues, would be more likely to smoke grass than straight arrows who themselves may have issues but were not in the study.

I am too. Like alcohol, most states make it illegal to sell to minors.

The study seems to say that was taken into account, but it's not clear how. I agree it seems obvious kids with what might be described as psychic disorders, e.g., ordinary growing up issues, would be more likely to smoke grass than straight arrows who themselves may have issues but were not in the study.
It shouldn't have gotten through peer review unless they evaluated and attempted to control for alternative hypotheses and casual factors, like mentally ill kids being already prone to smoking more MJ.

weed undoes brainwashing, thats why the establishment hates it.

"Study" sponsored by CATAF.

Conservative A-hole Trumpers Against Freedom.

It shouldn't have gotten through peer review unless they evaluated and attempted to control for alternative hypotheses and casual factors, like mentally ill kids being already prone to smoking more MJ.
Which assumes 1) the procedures used are feasible and 2) they were used competently. The study, in other words, may have been a crap shoot.

Since pot is legal in many states there is regulation on how it is packaged and labeled. For example, the strength must be on the label.
Ilegal pot may be reliable if you know the person, but its THC level is not provided.

The study seems to say that was taken into account, but it's not clear how.
If it's not clear how, they didn't take it into account. This really is that straightforward.
I agree it seems obvious kids with what might be described as psychic disorders, e.g., ordinary growing up issues, would be more likely to smoke grass than straight arrows who themselves may have issues but were not in the study.
A paradox. You can't describe kids with psychotic disorders in the study and then say the weren't in the study!

What peer? Making an argument from randR fallacy requires no peer or review.

The study openly admits that the % of kids who 'develop' psych issues from pot use is miniscule, if it's even possible to draw a correlation to pot use.

Weed is extremely strong these days. Shortly after smoking, a high percentage of all users experience some temporary paranoia or general angst.

Edibles magnify these issues, and for a much longer time. Once the buzz passes, these temp. issues do as well.

The study did NOT prove that marijuana use causes psych issues, because it doesn't. Will it magnify underlying issues? Sure.

I think they should ban milk. did you know that every single person who has a psychotic disorder started out drinking milk?

When an overwhelming majority of teenagers smoke pot it stands to reason that when it comes to mental disorders that most will be with those who get high.
Still going strong since the 70's. I forget if it was Carlin who first proposed it?

Correlation and causation. Marijuana pretty much definitely increases the chances someone will develop a psychotic disorder with regular use. The Māori of New Zealand are one of the best study groups being heavy marijuana users who don't smoke tobacco or use alcohol. Massive increase in lung cancer and mental illness from that use.
Source?

And where is causation shown in the OP study?

Neither alcohol or weed is good for anyone to be used recreationally. Just because one is worse than the other doesnt mean the other is without warts. They both damage the user in their own way.
Yeah, chocolate is like that too.

My views on weed........ I cant stand the smell of it for one thing. It stinks like hell. The user also smells like it all the time because the odor is so strong it gets in their clothing whether they realize it or not. I also think that if a person is a big user of the drug it can have the effect of making you pretty damned lazy. I just dont like the shit,,....never have. Having said all that,....I do know for a fact that it helps a lot of people with certain health problems including pain issues and depression. AND,....in many ways, actually MOST ways it is a lot better than alcohol thats for sure. I guess the key to the whole thing is moderation,....just like alcohol. Being an occasional user? Fine,....no problem. Need it for pain, depression? No problem at all. Being a WAKE AND BAKE all day long user? Yeah,...not good. You are wasting your life and dont even remember what it is like to have a clear mind anymore. Moderation,....thats the key to everything.

Back