Thanksgiving

Yeah, I have just a tad of a reputation.

Hey, we got a new foster dog. She's a sweet sweet beagle (As I'm talking about how sweet she is, she's barking in the background.) Anyway, I want to get h er to go to the bathroom as soon as we get outside, but she never goes, however, she doesn't go inside the house either. Unless she's got a secret stash of shit she's hidden away, I don't know when this dog goes to the bathroom. Any tips?

It may just take her some time to have to go; it's hard for some doggies to just go on command (people too, for that matter!) She may just need to be out for more time before she can go. Do you know anything about her history? That could also give some clues. It might help to give her a couple of treats soon before you go outside, as that starts a whole system of reactions that generally leads to elimination. Also take her out just when she wakes from a nap.

Barley won't go anywhere but at home, so I have to make sure he drains the tank, so to speak, before we leave for his lessons. This is going to have to change when we start competing as we'll be on site all day. Poor little guy! I'll just have to take him different places and encourage him to let loose (with the appropriate cleanup materials on hand).

This may sound indelicate but could be valid -- if you're not finding any stools, try to make sure she's not eating them. This could be a sign of anxiety, or just a nasty habit. (One I've had to break one of my guys of doing!)

I'm glad you got a sweetie this time; maybe you'll end up keeping her after all! :)

ewwwww, is it possible she's eating it? My boyfriend said that jokingly, but she hasn't pooped in like 3 days (I did leave her outside alone for about an hour earlier)

ewwwww, is it possible she's eating it? My boyfriend said that jokingly, but she hasn't pooped in like 3 days (I did leave her outside alone for about an hour earlier)

It might not be a joke! USCit is right, sniff her breath when she comes in. If she still doesn't go, though, you might want to call a vet on Friday; there may be mild laxatives that would be compatible with a dog's physiology. You also could try some green veggies to give her a bit of fiber. Usually if a dog is going through some anxiety over a change, though, the problem manifests itself in the opposite direction. I remember when we got Joey, our first Border Collie, we both had been trying to make him feel welcome and unknown to each other had loaded him up on those chewy treats. Poor guy! Within two days he had awful diarrhea! A change in diet can do that; perhaps the opposite is also true.

Blue Buffalo dog food has received some terrific writeups for its nutritional value and natural sources. My guys loved it, but it went through, shall we say, too fast; apparently this is a problem for some dogs with this food. Too bad, because it's great! You could try a small bag of that to see if it starts things up. Good luck ... :p

Back