The coffee from my coffee machine tastes like poison. Is this a bad sign?

I have a problem with coffee at my cabin, and its not the machine but the coffee itself. It gets bitter as hell unless I bought it very recently. I suspect storage at uneven, especially cold, temperature.

I have a problem with coffee at my cabin, and its not the machine but the coffee itself. It gets bitter as hell unless I bought it very recently. I suspect storage at uneven, especially cold, temperature.

Cold is good for storing coffee, damp is not. High acid content can cause coffee to go rancid sooner than not~~~ try a dash of salt in the coffee grinds before brewing. Number one reason coffee can taste bad is the water; high mineral content or too much water softener.

In my younger days I was the manager of the gourmet department at Cost Plus, now called World Market.

Cold is good for storing coffee, damp is not. High acid content can cause coffee to go rancid sooner than not~~~ try a dash of salt in the coffee grinds before brewing. Number one reason coffee can taste bad is the water; high mineral content or too much water softener.

In my younger days I was the manager of the gourmet department at Cost Plus, now called World Market.

The cabin is located on the eastern continental divide, and that area of the Appalachians is basically a temperate rain forest, so humidity is a big problem. Storing it in the freezer or refrigerator isn't going to help that. Should I put a Damp Rid thing in the cabinet? Do you think that would help?

How about only using whole bean up there?

you don't run bleach through your coffee maker....you run vinegar and water

and watermark if it tastes or smells like strychnine....drink up...have an extra cup for me :)
I know you don't. I was being facetious.

The cabin is located on the eastern continental divide, and that area of the Appalachians is basically a temperate rain forest, so humidity is a big problem. Storing it in the freezer or refrigerator isn't going to help that. Should I put a Damp Rid thing in the cabinet? Do you think that would help?

How about only using whole bean up there?

Whole bean in freezer bags stored in the freezer should do the trick. Remember to remove the air from the bag each time you open it. In fact removing the air could do the trick for dry storage period.

Coffee begins to go bitter very quickly and long storage makes it worthless. Keep it whole bean and less than a few days. Only buy coffee on the way there, and only enough to last 4 days at most. Once ground it will begin to degrade even more quickly, buying ground coffee in a can... *barf*... That's the stuff you drink at work!

Only build cabins next to a Starbucks.
True that. Otherwise you are just going too far in your "roughing it"...

:D

(The nearest Starbucks to Damocles' house is only an hour drive away. The nearest one to the family house in the mountains less than two minutes drive.)

Whole bean in freezer bags stored in the freezer should do the trick. Remember to remove the air from the bag each time you open it. In fact removing the air could do the trick for dry storage period.
Should I put some silica desiccant packets in along with the beans?

Coffee begins to go bitter very quickly and long storage makes it worthless. Keep it whole bean and less than a few days. Only buy coffee on the way there, and only enough to last 4 days at most. Once ground it will begin to degrade even more quickly, buying ground coffee in a can... *barf*... That's the stuff you drink at work!

That's simply not practical. I buy 3# at a time at Costco. I haven't had a problem at home, only at the mountains.

Listen to Damo. The myths about the freezer and air tight bags are just that. Myths. Brew what you use and don't store copious amounts of coffee at any time. Just like fruit, the coffee bean has it's optimal time where it tastes best. The fresher from roasting time the better.

Starbucks has I believe five roasting facilties. When they get the coffee in the stores, it is already a couple of weeks old from roasting.

Back