The Emerging Democratic Majority

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
We'll see. If the Dems want a semi-permanent national majority, then need to continue to win, and appeal in the mountain west, and the midwest.

Leaving party labels aside though, the thesis is fundamental correct. Over time - with a few bumps up and down - the country becomes more and more progressive. More center-left. People almost take if for granted now, that gay relationships are tolerable, and even that civil unions should be permissible. It was a mere four years ago when Cons were laughing at my support of Howard Dean, saying that the GOP could easily smear him for signing gay civil unions into law.

It's simply taken for granted today, that sexual harrasment is wrong. And that Federal Laws were needed to help stop it. 30 years ago, it wasn't that way. People simply take it for granted that the environment needs to be protected, and that individuals and business have to be regulated to that end. It's only a matter of time, before some form of universal health care is adopted. Etc.

The re-emergence of the emerging Democratic majority.

John B. Judis and Ruy Teixeira * June 19, 2007

[T]his election signals the end of a fleeting Republican revival, prompted by the Bush administration's response to the September 11 terrorist attacks, and the return to political and demographic trends that were leading to a Democratic and center-left majority in the United States. In 2006 the turn to the Democrats went well beyond those offices directly concerned with the war in Iraq or affected by congressional scandals. While Democrats picked up 30 House seats and six Senate seats, they also won six governorships, netted 321 state legislative seats, and recaptured legislative chambers in eight states. That's the kind of sweep that Republicans enjoyed in 1994, which led to Republican control of Congress and of the nation's statehouses for the remainder of the decade.

Just as important as these victories is who voted for Democrats in 2006. With few exceptions, the groups were exactly those that had begun trending Democratic in the 1990s and had contributed to Al Gore's popular-vote victory over George W. Bush in 2000. These groups, which we described in our 2002 book, The Emerging Democratic Majority, included women, professionals, and minorities. But in 2006 they also included two groups our book slighted or ignored altogether: younger voters (those born after 1977) and independents. These voters can generally be expected to continue backing Democrats.... What one sees in the 2006 election is not simply a revolt against the administration's conduct of the war but a return to the political perceptions of the two parties that was inclining the electorate before September 2001 toward a Democratic majority. Voters didn't simply reject the administration for its conduct of the war; angered by its conduct of the war, they reembraced a center-left worldview on a whole range of issues. The electorate of 2006 was like the electorate of 2000 -- only more so....

In the 2006 congressional election, libertarian-leaning independents played a decisive role in Democratic victories in prairie and non-Pacific western states. In the Montana Senate race, independents voted 59 percent to 35 percent for Democrat Jon Tester against incumbent Conrad Burns, who had been linked to the Jack Abramoff scandal. In Arizona they strongly backed Gov. Janet Napolitano and even Democratic Senate challenger Jim Pederson, who lost to incumbent Jon Kyl. In Minnesota, where onetime Perot backer Jesse Ventura was elected governor in 1998 on the Reform Party ticket, independents backed Democratic Senate candidate Amy Klobuchar over conservative Republican Mark Kennedy by 63 percent to 28 percent. Independents also played a role in Democratic House pickups in Colorado, Kansas, Connecticut, and New Hampshire (where 44 percent of voters identify themselves as independents).......

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=back_to_the_future061807

Yup....!

You sure as hell showed all us Conservatives that your chosen boy 'Screaming Dean' was electable being that he was on target and all...lol@ cypress... :cof1:

You sure as hell showed all us Conservatives that your chosen boy 'Screaming Dean' was electable being that he was on target and all...lol@ cypress... :cof1:
i just noticed your avatar statement, and now I understand.

should I put on my tin-foil hat when talking to you???

(Battleborne) i just noticed your avatar statement, and now I understand.

should I put on my tin-foil hat when talking to you???

"Area 51"? or "Madog 20/20"? Who knows?

If you can make heads or tails out of what he's saying, good luck. I can't.

Cypress I sure hope we have a dem majority coming center left.

All they have to do is call conservative middle running play's no hail mary's

1. Get the fuck out of Iraq
2. Get the fuck out of Iraq
3. Improved access to medical care and college
4. Quit butting 700,000 kids in jail for pot, the AMA calls it medicince for Christ sake. (the point is at shutting down all the strom trooper bootstrappers).:clink:

Cypress I sure hope we have a dem majority coming center left.

All they have to do is call conservative middle running play's no hail mary's

1. Get the fuck out of Iraq
2. Get the fuck out of Iraq
3. Improved access to medical care and college
4. Quit butting 700,000 kids in jail for pot, the AMA calls it medicince for Christ sake. (the point is at shutting down all the strom trooper bootstrappers).:clink:

Takes notes of this comment....
:rolleyes:

He was on target. He was a 100% correct about everything relating to the Iraq war on Ws numerous failures.

Note to Battleborn: Sarcasm only works when the statement is untrue.

Excuse me....

He was on target. He was a 100% correct about everything relating to the Iraq war on Ws numerous failures.

Note to Battleborn: Sarcasm only works when the statement is untrue.

It was never proven that there were no WMD's in Iraq prior to the invasion..only that they disappeared...via Syria into Lebanon/Iran and elswhere with a little help of the KGB...speculation maybe... on both sides of the aisle...:pke:

"your chosen boy 'Screaming Dean' was electable being that he was on target and all...lol"

Why thank you. DNC Chairman Dean was way on target, wasn't he?

Why, it only seems like yesterday that Wingnuts were lecturing me that electing Howard Dean as DNC chairman was an epic mistake...that it would ensure the Democratic Party's demise.

And after only two years in the position, what happens with Dean at the helm?

-Dems take 6 Governorships
-32 seats in House of Reps
-6 senate seats
-321 state legislative seats
-Flipped legislatures in 8 states to Democratic control.

Shall we just chalk up the wingnut's early proclamations about Dean, as simply another miserably wrong wingnut prediction?

Not really....

"your chosen boy 'Screaming Dean' was electable being that he was on target and all...lol"

Why thank you. DNC Chairman Dean was way on target, wasn't he?

Why, it only seems like yesterday that Wingnuts were lecturing me that electing Howard Dean as DNC chairman was an epic mistake...that it would ensure the Democratic Party's demise.

And after only two years in the position, what happens with Dean at the helm?

-Dems take 6 Governorships
-32 seats in House of Reps
-6 senate seats
-321 state legislative seats
-Flipped legislatures in 8 states to Democratic control.

Shall we just chalk up the wingnut's early proclamations about Dean, as simply another miserably wrong wingnut prediction?

It had to do with the true conservative base being really mad about the illegal immigration issue along with outsourcing and insourcing of cheap labor...by the way both parties are guilty of this one...and congress has a lower rating with the electorate than GW...so what was your point again about 'Screaming Dean'...he was a lousy MD and a worse politician!

It had to do with the true conservative base being really mad about the illegal immigration issue along with outsourcing and insourcing of cheap labor...by the way both parties are guilty of this one...and congress has a lower rating with the electorate than GW...so what was your point again about 'Screaming Dean'...he was a lousy MD and a worse politician!

Who gives a crap if the NeoCon wingnut base was pissed? Yours is a failed ideology, I'd be pissed too if it was my ideology.

The reason the Dems won, is because moderates and independents overwhelmingly voted for Democrats. By huge margins.

Keep your wingnut base. Dean or I aren't trying to win their votes. I don't care if they're mad and crying into their bibles.

"worse politician"? Well, he managed to balance his states budget and Vermont has some of the leading test scores in the nation. Texas on the other hand is a veritable shithole. That takes babies off life support against their mothers wishes.
Unless of course they are white.

It was never proven that there were no WMD's in Iraq prior to the invasion..only that they disappeared...via Syria into Lebanon/Iran and elswhere with a little help of the KGB...speculation maybe... on both sides of the aisle...:pke:

You idiot. The burden of proof relies on us to prove that they do have a WMD program. Which we haven't proven to date. Unless you know something the rest of us dont' know.

***sigh***

Who gives a crap if the NeoCon wingnut base was pissed? Yours is a failed ideology, I'd be pissed too if it was my ideology.

The reason the Dems won, is because moderates and independents overwhelmingly voted for Democrats. By huge margins.

Keep your wingnut base. Dean or I aren't trying to win their votes. I don't care if they're mad and crying into their bibles.

Once again for the record as you also have a short memory...I am a Registered American Independent(Conservative)...and most in this ilk always vote GOP if not a protest vote for the Independent party canidate...:rolleyes:

Some...

You idiot. The burden of proof relies on us to prove that they do have a WMD program. Which we haven't proven to date. Unless you know something the rest of us dont' know.

people just 'can't handle the truth'...now if you would not mind so much I have not called you a name...why do you feel it necessary just because I disagree with you...never mind this is a liberal thingee when all else fails...:rolleyes:

Once again for the record as you also have a short memory...I am a Registered American Independent(Conservative)...and most in this ilk always vote GOP if not a protest vote for the Independent party canidate...:rolleyes:

Once again for the record as you also have a short memory...I am a Registered American Independent

Translation: I claim to belong to some irrelevant third-party, because I'm too embarrased to admit that I defend and vote for republicans most of the time.

Because, these days, only total Bush-whores and Bush-liars even bother to use this lame excuse:

Battleborne: "It was never proven that there were no WMD's in Iraq prior to the invasion..only that they disappeared...via Syria into Lebanon/Iran and elswhere with a little help of the KGB...speculation maybe... on both sides of the aisle..."

people just 'can't handle the truth'...now if you would not mind so much I have not called you a name...why do you feel it necessary just because I disagree with you...never mind this is a liberal thingee when all else fails...:rolleyes:

That's true. I did call you a name first. I apologize. I'm trying to stop that even if the person I'm talking to is a complete idiot who speaks in stream of conscience half the time.

Honestly, I'll try to watch that.

Back