The Football season in review.

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
It's not been the best of years. An american icon had his last season besmirched in a terrible scandal and then, sadly, passed away. My Buckeyes lost the most games since 1897 including a loss to that hated team up north and have been sanctioned by the NCAA. The mythological college national championship game was not only a joke, it was an excruciatingly boring game. Then last night was punctuated by the worst possible calamity. A New York team wins the National Championship. God knows when the media hype about that will end.

The only saving grace for this year was that my Bungles had a rare winning season.

All in all.....not the best football season at all.

Are you still on about the fact that less talented teams didn't get a shot at the BCS, allowing for one of them to get murdered, and thus, making the game more "exciting?"

LSU 45, OSU 3 has so much appeal...

I was referring to Ohio Buckfuck State. Moot is bitter that his team sucks at football, and wants to take it out on Alabama and LSU. I can sympathize a little - Notre Dame, UW, and WSU all suck at football (WSU possibly beyond recovery), and I hate the SEC enormously.

I was referring to Ohio Buckfuck State. Moot is bitter that his team sucks at football, and wants to take it out on Alabama and LSU. I can sympathize a little - Notre Dame, UW, and WSU all suck at football (WSU possibly beyond recovery), and I hate the SEC enormously.
Actually I was more miffed about a New York team winning the NFL championship. I hate it when that happens.

Mott, it's all about perspectives, bud.

First off, let me agree with you on Joe Pa. The man was a legend, what else can you say? It literally hurt my heart to see him go out that way. Being an Alabama fan, the animosity toward Penn State was always strong, but for some reason, we came to respect Joe Pa. It's a shame his legacy will forever be marred by the scandal, and I hope future generations will evaluate his entire body of work and not remember him for how things ended. It was just a really sad chapter in football.

As for the season itself, I can't complain, my Tide brought home another crystal football... (it's not mythical, btw.) I thought the BCSNCG was probably the best defensive performance I have ever witnessed on a football field. I don't know how anyone could love football, but not like that game. You have to give Alabama and Saban credit, they did exactly what they had to do to win the championship outright. If the game had been close, then both LSU and Ok St. would have had legitimate claims to part of the title, as it was, Alabama's defense wiped ALL doubt about which team was #1. I think Saban told them straight up, if you go out there and play the same close game you played last time, you won't win the NC. You have to dominate. And they responded. ROLL TIDE!

As for the pros, it was odd not to see Green Bay vs. Saints AT LEAST! I really thought that would be the NFC Championship... goes to show you never can tell. I pulled for the Giants, I've always liked the NY teams for some reason... well, mainly because of Joe Namath and Richard Todd for the Jets.. but I liked the Giants back in Parcells day, they had a few good Bama players as well. I wanted Eli to win another Super Bowl and top big brother... it's always cool when little brother can out-do big brother at anything... ya know?

Heck, I even liked Madonna's halftime show... I thought it was unbelievably tame for Madonna, reminded me of her "Like a Virgin" days...

I may have a reversel of opinion. The Boringist Game of The Century....aka.....the BCS NCG this year may result in us finally having a national championship playoff! That would be awesome!

Mott, it's all about perspectives, bud.

First off, let me agree with you on Joe Pa. The man was a legend, what else can you say? It literally hurt my heart to see him go out that way. Being an Alabama fan, the animosity toward Penn State was always strong, but for some reason, we came to respect Joe Pa. It's a shame his legacy will forever be marred by the scandal, and I hope future generations will evaluate his entire body of work and not remember him for how things ended. It was just a really sad chapter in football.

As for the season itself, I can't complain, my Tide brought home another crystal football... (it's not mythical, btw.) I thought the BCSNCG was probably the best defensive performance I have ever witnessed on a football field. I don't know how anyone could love football, but not like that game. You have to give Alabama and Saban credit, they did exactly what they had to do to win the championship outright. If the game had been close, then both LSU and Ok St. would have had legitimate claims to part of the title, as it was, Alabama's defense wiped ALL doubt about which team was #1. I think Saban told them straight up, if you go out there and play the same close game you played last time, you won't win the NC. You have to dominate. And they responded. ROLL TIDE!

As for the pros, it was odd not to see Green Bay vs. Saints AT LEAST! I really thought that would be the NFC Championship... goes to show you never can tell. I pulled for the Giants, I've always liked the NY teams for some reason... well, mainly because of Joe Namath and Richard Todd for the Jets.. but I liked the Giants back in Parcells day, they had a few good Bama players as well. I wanted Eli to win another Super Bowl and top big brother... it's always cool when little brother can out-do big brother at anything... ya know?

Heck, I even liked Madonna's halftime show... I thought it was unbelievably tame for Madonna, reminded me of her "Like a Virgin" days...
Ehhh JoePa will be remembered as a legend and this scandal will be a topical news subject for a news cycle or two and then JoePa will be remembered for all the good things he did.

Woody was villified for his bad temper and slugging Charlie Bauman and for his ultra conservative coaching style for a while after he was fired but when he passed away it was his legacy of all the good things he did for the sport, his univerity and the State that he loved so much and just like Woody, Joe Pa's legacy will continue in the good works of the thousands of young men he taught and mentored. A serious mistake in judgement on his part will never be able to erase that legacy.

But, not to get de-railed, I have this important point to make to the haters:

No one has yet argued my point, that their shitty team (OSU, etc.) would have gotten murdered in the BCS, and hence the reason why their shitty team didn't make it. They have stated loudly, that the game was boring, yet have not addressed my point about whether or not a game resulting in a 45-3 blowout would have been more satisfying.

I am therefore going to assume that you all think that seeing your team of choice lose 45-3 against LSU would have been more exciting than seeing Alabama clobber LSU in a much closer, yet "BORINGEST" game. To this, I must ask, why have any fucking standards at all? Let's just give the Towel Boy the ball, and see what he can do with it...

I also beg to differ concerning the season. The excitement of watching two SEC teams totally dominate everyone on their schedule was great for me.

Watching Texas A&M and Missouri decide to join the conference was excellent as well.

And the BCSNCG was far from boring. I suppose if you want games with scores in the 60s or 70s, it would have been boring. But to watch a team who scored 40+ points on so many good teams (5 were ranked in the final top 10) get so thoroughly stopped was thrilling. LSU was a threat to rip you at any time, and yet they didn't cross the 50 yd line until the 4th qtr, and you call that boring?

But, not to get de-railed, I have this important point to make to the haters:

No one has yet argued my point, that their shitty team (OSU, etc.) would have gotten murdered in the BCS, and hence the reason why their shitty team didn't make it. They have stated loudly, that the game was boring, yet have not addressed my point about whether or not a game resulting in a 45-3 blowout would have been more satisfying.

I am therefore going to assume that you all think that seeing your team of choice lose 45-3 against LSU would have been more exciting than seeing Alabama clobber LSU in a much closer, yet "BORINGEST" game. To this, I must ask, why have any fucking standards at all? Let's just give the Towel Boy the ball, and see what he can do with it...
Uh no.....

I also beg to differ concerning the season. The excitement of watching two SEC teams totally dominate everyone on their schedule was great for me.

Watching Texas A&M and Missouri decide to join the conference was excellent as well.

And the BCSNCG was far from boring. I suppose if you want games with scores in the 60s or 70s, it would have been boring. But to watch a team who scored 40+ points on so many good teams (5 were ranked in the final top 10) get so thoroughly stopped was thrilling. LSU was a threat to rip you at any time, and yet they didn't cross the 50 yd line until the 4th qtr, and you call that boring?
Sorry to dissapoint you Winter but that's not a sentiment shared outside the State of Alabama. However, it turned into a good thing. It's looking like a plus one play off is around the cornor. That may not be perfect either but it beats the hell out of the BCS.

Ehhh JoePa will be remembered as a legend and this scandal will be a topical news subject for a news cycle or two and then JoePa will be remembered for all the good things he did.

Woody was villified for his bad temper and slugging Charlie Bauman and for his ultra conservative coaching style for a while after he was fired but when he passed away it was his legacy of all the good things he did for the sport, his univerity and the State that he loved so much and just like Woody, Joe Pa's legacy will continue in the good works of the thousands of young men he taught and mentored. A serious mistake in judgement on his part will never be able to erase that legacy.

I'm afraid Joe Pa, much like Woody Hayes, will always be remembered for the thing that ended his career. It's sad, but that's how it goes.

Sorry to dissapoint you Winter but that's not a sentiment shared outside the State of Alabama. However, it turned into a good thing. It's looking like a plus one play off is around the cornor. That may not be perfect either but it beats the hell out of the BCS.

The BCS and NCAA have been working on 'Plus 1' for the past decade, it has nothing to do with this year's national championship game... which by the way, was one of the most watched games in the history of BCSNCG's. The Superdome was packed, New Orleans had the fan base of TWO home teams for the weekend... a LOT of money was made in the French Quarter. It doesn't really matter what the sentiment around the country was, sentiment doesn't pay the bills.

We've had the discussion about playoffs before, and again I will point out, it's not a decision that can be made by fans, coaches, and athletic directors. It is not up to the Bowl officials, or the BCS, or even the NCAA. Ultimately, it is up to university presidents and boards of directors. This is why the process of change has taken so long, it's just not an easy thing to do, because everyone has to be on the same page and in agreement, and this deal has too many players.

But... If butt-sore losers like you want to blame Alabama's defensive domination for giving us a playoff... fine by me.

Actually, it is a sentiment shared around much of the SEC. Granted, LSU didn't like the outcome.

Yep, I agree that the game probably brought about the change in minds concerning the playoffs. You're welcome. :)

Back