The most important unresolved scientific questions, in my opinion.

Thus ends the conversation....
Clearly you have never had a philosophical discussion before. What I am saying is quite standard and normal.

You seem to be a literalist and do not understand implication. If I mean to quote your words, I would use quotation marks.

Clearly you have never had a philosophical discussion before. What I am saying is quite standard and normal.

You seem to be a literalist and do not understand implication. If I mean to quote your words, I would use quotation marks.
It would be physically impossible for a brain to drink beer. I have no desire to try to have a serious conversation with someone who is clearly not taking the conversation seriously.

It would be physically impossible for a brain to drink beer. I have no desire to try to have a serious conversation with someone who is clearly not taking the conversation seriously.
No. You do not know how to have an argument. That is fine, many do not.

While the jellyfish lacks a centralized brain, it has a visual system nestled within four neuron clusters. Called rhopalia, each cluster has some thousand neurons and six eyes. Besides assisting with visual cues, this rhopalial nervous system has various other functions, including that of a swim pacemaker.

People often think their words mean more than they do.

How do you know the universe is expanding?

I just said - and backed with peer reviewed studies, that we DON'T know that the universe is expanding and that there is skepticism in the scientific community.

Are you presuming there is a boundary of some sort to the universe? How are you observing it?

Observations are mathematical. The behaviour of objects in reference to photonic evidence can be explained by the objects moving away from a central location - hence the idea of a "big bang."

But that is no the only explanation for the discrepancy - distortion caused by curvature - roughly like a fisheye lens view, also explains this - and in fact better explains it.

There is no evidence for any god.

Absolutely. There is NO evidence for any gods. We agree on that.

There also is no evidence that there are any sentient beings on any planet circling the nearest 20 stars to Sol.

I am sure we can agree on that also.

Why believe in them?

I think it is absurd to blindly guess (believe, suppose, think, assume, presume) that at least one exists.

We agree there also.

It's like structuring your life around the leprechaun king.

I have no idea of what that was all about.

The default should not be "I'm going to believe the most extraordinary claims until proven wrong".

The default should be we do not know if any gods exist or not. We do not know the mechanics of how this thing we humans call "the universe" came into being.

YOUR actual default has nothing to do with what you are suggesting in the above sentence. YOUR actual default is, "There are no gods."

Are there any sentient beings that exist on any planet circling the nearest 20 stars to Sol?

"I do not know" makes a hell of a lot more sense than "We have no evidence that any do...therefore there are no sentient beings existing on any of those planets."

Ok. I can't know with absolute certainty that there are no gods, just as I can't know with absolute certainty there are no leprechauns or fairies. As of now, there is no reason TO believe in gods, fairies leprechauns. There is no more evidence for gods than there is for leprechauns and fairies.
Okay, We agree that you do not know (with absolute certainty...or KNOW at all) that there are no gods.
Like you, I see no reason to blindly guess (believe, suppose, think, assume, presume) that there is one. There also is not reason to blindly guess (believe, suppose, think, assume, presume) that none exist.

That was the problem I had with your comment that no god exists.

I have as much problem with "no gods exist" as I have with "there is a GOD."

Both comments are absurd...nothing but blind guesses.

But that is no the only explanation for the discrepancy - distortion caused by curvature - roughly like a fisheye lens view, also explains this - and in fact better explains it.
The universe has been experimentally determined to be geometrically flat (no positive or negative curvature) out to the observable cosmic horizon, within the limits of experimental precision.

In theory, any positive or negative curvature to the fabric of the universe would only be noticeable in the larger universe beyond our cosmic horizon and beyond observation.

The only substantial curvature of space at cosmic scales comes locally from gravitational lensing, but that is well understood and can be mitigated for in cosmic experimental measurement.

Back