The Power of Prayer

domer76

Verified User
In response to tragedies, we see this so often in this country - “Our thoughts and prayers are with you.” The problem seems to be that prayers never work.

There probably is power in prayer, but not for those being prayed for. Prayer probably gives the person doing the praying a warm fuzzy of some sort. It might even give a boost to another believer if they’re told they’re being prayed for. But that’s about it.

So, how does a believer handle it when those prayers don’t work out? When they go unanswered? Did they not pray hard enough? If the answer is “It’s God’s will”, then why bother to pray at all?

For me, it’s merely another proof of the non-existence of the Christian god.

God answers your prayer, affirms prayer works.
God does not answer prayer, affirms prayer works.

In response to tragedies, we see this so often in this country - “Our thoughts and prayers are with you.” The problem seems to be that prayers never work.

There probably is power in prayer, but not for those being prayed for. Prayer probably gives the person doing the praying a warm fuzzy of some sort. It might even give a boost to another believer if they’re told they’re being prayed for. But that’s about it.

So, how does a believer handle it when those prayers don’t work out? When they go unanswered? Did they not pray hard enough? If the answer is “It’s God’s will”, then why bother to pray at all?

The exegesis in the church that I always found the most "pleasant" was "God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is 'no'."

The exegesis in the church that I always found the most "pleasant" was "God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is 'no'."

That was part of my post. What is the arbitrary reason for “no”? And when does one know “no”? It’s not as if their god is actually speaking to them.

I don't think prayers to fix a spinal injury or cure blindness should be expected to work.

The remarkable thing is that we pray and mediate at all. There is nothing known about the laws of Darwinian biology that require us to seek transcendence.

Too many millions of Christian monks, Sufi mystics, Zen masters, Taoist monks seem to have experienced something meaningful to them, and too many scientific studies have shown real health and psychological benefits of meditation and prayer for me to write it all off as a con job.

I don't think prayers to fix a spinal injury or cure blindness should be expected to work.

The remarkable thing is that we pray and mediate at all. There is nothing known about the laws of Darwinian biology that require us to seek transcendence.

Too many millions of Christian monks, Sufi mystics, Zen masters, Taoist monks seem to have experienced something meaningful to them, and too many scientific studies have shown real health and psychological benefits of meditation and prayer for me to write it all off as a con job.
No doubt about the benefits of that kind of prayer and meditation. That’s a given.

But, of course, that’s not the type of prayer I’m referring to.

No doubt about the benefits of that kind of prayer and meditation. That’s a given.

But, of course, that’s not the type of prayer I’m referring to.
I didn't see any specific examples in your OP, but if the issue is praying to cure someone's cancer or cure their deafness, those kind of prayers should never be expected to work.

The parents who hold back medical care for a child in favor of prayer should be put in prison

I think what seems to potentially help people is praying for the strength and serenity to cope with sickness and adversity

Prove that prayers never work.

Prayer is a Christian ritual. I see no value unless you want feel bonded with other Christians.

Prove that prayers never work.
There is ZERO evidence they do.

Remember Terri Schiavo? The whole fucking country was praying. Dead.

Who in Ukraine is praying? EVERYBODY. Still being slaughtered.

Who in Gaza is praying? EVERYBODY. Still being slaughtered.

Mass shootings? Thoughts and prayers. NADA.

And the beat goes on.

And the beat goes on.
So anecdotal evidence but no proof. Got it.

And the beat goes on.
It is like praying before a football game starts that god will help you win.

Millions upon millions prayed. NADA. Do you need billions?

Studies on intercessory prayer show it has no effect. Where’s your god, Cletus?
So opinion not proof.

No citations but leaving that aside what does "no effect" mean? My God is everywhere, You didn't get the pony you prayed for did you?

So opinion not proof.

No citations but leaving that aside what does "no effect" mean? My God is everywhere, You didn't get the pony you prayed for did you?
Where is your god for Ukranians, Palestinians, Holocaust victims, children born with birth defects, childhood leukemia? Are those praying not praying hard enough? Are not enough people praying? Doing it wrong?

Or is it just “God’s will”?

One thing that is obvious with you is the "Power of Hate."

Hate consumes you and guides all that you do. No one can hate that which they don't believe in. You clearly believe in god and hate him for the crime of your existence. You'll never forgive those who caused you to be.

Where is your god for Ukranians, Palestinians, Holocaust victims, children born with birth defects, childhood leukemia? Are those praying not praying hard enough? Are not enough people praying? Doing it wrong?

Or is it just “God’s will”?
He is there. It's amazing how it's all about you.

One thing that is obvious with you is the "Power of Hate."

Hate consumes you and guides all that you do. No one can hate that which they don't believe in. You clearly believe in god and hate him for the crime of your existence. You'll never forgive those who caused you to be.
The Black Plague, 25-50 million. One third the European population.

Spanish Flu - up to 100 million.

Certainly, nobody prayed during those events, did they?

I understand why you wish to avoid answering the questions about your god’s absence during this kind of human suffering. It’s an uncomfortable truth, isn’t it?

Back