The Power of Prayer

I think most people have an intuitive sense that your mental attitude and your emotional strength is somehow linked to your physical resilience. But it's not the type of thing medical research universities can get a lot of grant money to study.

Do a quick literature search and you find quite a few scientific studies on "mental attitude" and health outcomes.

Do a quick literature search and you find quite a few scientific studies on "mental attitude" and health outcomes.
Google is not a good indicator of the scope and type of medical research studies on meditation and prayer.

There are probably fifty thousand google entries linking Michelle Obama to cross dressing and the transvestite lifestyle.

Google is not a good indicator of the scope and type of medical research studies on meditation and prayer.

Google Scholar is.

There are probably fifty thousand google entries linking Michelle Obama to cross dressing and the transvestite lifestyle.

Google Scholar is not that kind of stuff.

But you don't have to use Google Scholar (since clearly you had never heard of it), you can do any other number of lit searches. Maybe SciFinder is your friend.

You will find a LOT of studies done on health outcomes related to mental attitude. It's pretty common stuff.

Google Scholar is.

Google Scholar is not that kind of stuff.

But you don't have to use Google Scholar (since clearly you had never heard of it), you can do any other number of lit searches. Maybe SciFinder is your friend.

You will find a LOT of studies done on health outcomes related to mental attitude. It's pretty common stuff.
This is a message board, not the New England Journal of Medicine.

Nobody here is going to do a literature review on Google scholar.

I've met a lot of doctors and medical interns in the last 50 years. And I don't remember any of them telling me they were researching meditation and prayer for it's health benefits.

It is just not a widespread area of mainstream medical research, and to the extent it exists it only gets a tiny fraction of the research grant money genetics and pharmaceuticals do -- > Which is exactly what I said previously.

I love it when people like you who shout your piety from the rooftops bear false witness with such ease. It's like the 10 Commandments are a urinal for you.
maybe you should start a thread about how atheists are superior to Christians when it comes to using urinals........

What study is that? I have seen several with the opposite conclusion. Often they believe it is the same as the placebo effect when they reach their conclusions. If they receive the prayer and believe it will help, often their outcome is positive, even when there was little hope for that positive outcome.
When they are unaware of any prayers, there is no difference in outcomes. Third party prayers don’t work.

Now, there are a few explanations for that.

1) God does not answer prayers.
2) God picks and chooses which prayers he answers yes or no. “It’s God’s will.”
3) There is no god

1) and 3) are not acceptable answers to believers. That leaves only 2).

If it’s “God’s will”, why bother to pray in the first place? For your own warm and fuzzy?

Yes, I never understood living after death.
Pretty easy to understand how the concept got started and why it became popular. At least, for Christians.

In early Christianity, life sucked. It was fraught with hardships for most, with a short lifespan. So, the idea that a better life awaited them was very attractive. Attractive to any church wishing to control the masses, as well.

This is a message board, not the New England Journal of Medicine.

If you can't admit you were wrong about Google Scholar then I can't help you.

Nobody here is going to do a literature review on Google scholar.

Again, you mock me for using a search engine, I merely noted that this is not a trash search. And you can verify it yourself with a simple search on scholar.google.com.

Now you are pissy because you just want to bitch.

I've met a lot of doctors and medical interns in the last 50 years. And I don't remember any of them telling me they were researching meditation and prayer for it's health benefits.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. You should know better.

It is just not a widespread area of mainstream medical research, and to the extent it exists it only gets a tiny fraction of the research grant money genetics and pharmaceuticals do -- > Which is exactly what I said previously.

And you were actually apparently quite wrong.

But you are Cypress and no one can know more than you do. That is verboten.

If you can't admit you were wrong about Google Scholar then I can't help you.

Again, you mock me for using a search engine, I merely noted that this is not a trash search. And you can verify it yourself with a simple search on scholar.google.com.

Now you are pissy because you just want to bitch.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. You should know better.

And you were actually apparently quite wrong.

But you are Cypress and no one can know more than you do. That is verboten.
I know about google scholar, Google translate, Google flights, etc.

This is a message board not the New England Journal of Medicine.

Google scholar is not going to tell you what percentage of peer reviewed articles in the pantheon of medical science research were specifically looking into prayer, meditation or other activities invoking the power of positive thinking.

Nor is Google scholar going to tell you what percent of grant money was devoted to that topic rather than to genetics, pharmaceuticals, cancer, epidemiology, etc.

Google scholar doesn't have those answers. And you would have to be a blithering idiot to think anything more than small percentage of medical research funding goes into the study of the power of positive thinking and it's health effects.

I know about google scholar, Google translate, Google flights, etc.

This is a message board not the New England Journal of Medicine.

GOd damn! You said there was very little research on a topic, I told you and gave you a reference to show you you were in error.

Now suddenly that isn't the point.

You were wrong. Just admit it. Or verify it, but STOP attacking the source. Debate the POINT not the SOURCE.

Google scholar is not going to tell you what percentage of peer reviewed articles in the pantheon of medical science research were specifically looking into prayer, meditation or other activities invoking the power of positive thinking.

Again, you need only look at a search and you can further delineate whether you want Journals or Books, etc.

Nor is Google scholar going to tell you what percent of grant money was devoted to that topic rather than to genetics, pharmaceuticals, cancer, epidemiology, etc.

Google scholar doesn't have those answers. And you would have to be a blithering idiot to think anything more than small percentage of medical research funding goes into the study of the power of positive thinking and it's health effects.

God damn, you are the most fragile ego on this board.

Stop attacking the source and moving the goalposts just because you don't know something.

Check it out for yourself.

Jesus....how did you make it through uni?????

GOd damn! You said there was very little research on a topic, I told you and gave you a reference to show you you were in error.

Now suddenly that isn't the point.

You were wrong. Just admit it. Or verify it, but STOP attacking the source. Debate the POINT not the SOURCE.

Again, you need only look at a search and you can further delineate whether you want Journals or Books, etc.

God damn, you are the most fragile ego on this board.

Stop attacking the source and moving the goalposts just because you don't know something.

Check it out for yourself.

Jesus....how did you make it through uni?????
You didn't read any of the articles. I'm not going to take your word for it that a 30 second frantic google search proved your point.

Your frantic 30 second google searches are not evidence of anything. Without reading the articles yourself, you have no idea how relevant they are to my post.

Google scholar did not provide you the statistics on how much research in the pantheon of all medical research is done on the power of positive thinking, nor how much grant money was available to the research.

One percent, for example, of all peer reivewed medical research articles is a small amount of medical research.

No doubt about the benefits of that kind of prayer and meditation. That’s a given.

But, of course, that’s not the type of prayer I’m referring to.
We call Christian prayers,,,,,,,gimme prayers

Gimme! Thanks! Oops! and Wow! to a god God who is a magician and miraculously answers individual prayer​

Last edited:
Back