The Power of Prayer

Prayer is a placebo. It makes the person praying feel good and feel like they are doing something. Per the Christian Bible, God already knew the event you're praying about was going to happen. To imagine that he/she/it would be swayed by repetition of known facts is just silly.....but no more silly than believing he/she/it exists in the first place.

@Cypress : I want to make a point very clear because you are now starting your usual mischaracterization of the topic:

1. I NEVER claimed there was a lot of research on the power of prayer. I noted that there was some on that topic.

2. MY CLAIM was that there was a lot of research on the impact of mental attitude on health outcomes (which I verified with a quick scan of Google Scholar)

Now, let's reset and see if you can actually debate the point honestly.

@Cypress I accept your tacit agreement that you mischaracterized my point and are now avoiding talking about it because, as per usual, you were caught.

Good job. Knowing yourself is the first step. Now do better.

Are you saying you don't like it when people do to you what you do to LITERALLY everyone else? Consider me shocked that you are hypocritical about YET ANOTHER thing.

You misrepresented my point and then ran away.

That's you in a nutshell. Unable to debate the point honestly.

Are you saying you don't like it when people do to you what you do to LITERALLY everyone else? Consider me shocked that you are hypocritical about YET ANOTHER thing.

You misrepresented my point and then ran away.

That's you in a nutshell. Unable to debate the point honestly.

You didn't actually do a legitimate literature review. You just frantically Googled for thirty seconds and dashed back here.

I didn't say there was zero research on the power of positive thinking, prayer, and meditation. I said it was negligible.

You have not the slightest idea what percentage of medical research is committed to the power of positive thinking, and I am not going to get drawn into speculations about whether its 0.01%, 0.1%, or 1% of total medical research. It's still tiny.

Prayer is a placebo. It makes the person praying feel good and feel like they are doing something. Per the Christian Bible, God already knew the event you're praying about was going to happen. To imagine that he/she/it would be swayed by repetition of known facts is just silly.....but no more silly than believing he/she/it exists in the first place.
Exactly. If the prayer seems to work with it being “answered”, the Christians uses it as evidence prayer works. What it really means is their god can be negotiated with to change his mind, ie not omniscient or unchanging.

But, if the prayer is not answered, the Christians excuse it with “God works in mysterious ways”, rather than acknowledging that prayer really doesn’t work.

Always a rationalization.

Exactly. If the prayer seems to work with it being “answered”, the Christians uses it as evidence prayer works. What it really means is their god can be negotiated with to change his mind, ie not omniscient or unchanging.

But, if the prayer is not answered, the Christians excuse it with “God works in mysterious ways”, rather than acknowledging that prayer really doesn’t work.

Always a rationalization.
God does not answer all prayers......if he did we would have completely avoided all the shit Biden put us through.....I expect He wanted lib'ruls to face the consequences of their bad decisions........or is that just a rationalization?......

God does not answer all prayers......if he did we would have completely avoided all the shit Biden put us through.....I expect He wanted lib'ruls to face the consequences of their bad decisions........or is that just a rationalization?......
More likely, he doesn’t answer those kinds of shit prayers from the right.

Laughable how some Christians think they know what this god wants.

welcome to Artificial Stupidity.
So Christian Nation SCOTUS Fourth Reich July under color of law flag day ethics is still Klues Klucks duh Klans "what is 9/11 ?" Freudian slip as US Fascist Masochists Klues Klucks duh Klans "who threatened Byrd" as Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate drug trafficking enforcement Klues Klucks duh Klans "who stole a voting ballot" as Klues Klucks duh Klans Fuhrer's Brainwashing Inquisition "no one steals & burns US Constitutions in this nation" as West Nazi Germany Virginia lynching enforcement who has a parking ticket for parking a vehicle before even owning the vehicle as Klues Klucks duh Klans who steals President Eisenhower presented old glorys to Holocaust survivors as those crooks on Capitol Hill ethics of Christiananality pedophilia more perfect union to Mohammed Valhalla pedophilia martyrdom......

I've known hundreds of doctors over 50 years, and I went to a university with one of the best medical schools in the country. I never heard any doctor or med student say they were researching the medical benefit of prayer, meditation, hope, and the power of positive thinking.

To the extent research like that exists, it is undoubtedly insignificant and even fringe compared to all the conventional research on oncology, epidemiology, genetics, pharmaceuticals, etc.
undoubtedly insignificant.

yes. nihilists hate positive energy.

it turns out magic is real, and is white or black.

which one are you?

In response to tragedies, we see this so often in this country - “Our thoughts and prayers are with you.” The problem seems to be that prayers never work.

There probably is power in prayer, but not for those being prayed for. Prayer probably gives the person doing the praying a warm fuzzy of some sort. It might even give a boost to another believer if they’re told they’re being prayed for. But that’s about it.

So, how does a believer handle it when those prayers don’t work out? When they go unanswered? Did they not pray hard enough? If the answer is “It’s God’s will”, then why bother to pray at all?

For me, it’s merely another proof of the non-existence of the Christian god.
Excuse me, but you are looking through the wrong end of the telescope, sir. The "thoughts and prayers" are, like funerals, for the living. The dead are past caring.

That said, the power of positive thinking has been proved to work. Nothing magical about it. "Prayer" is simply a ritualistic means of providing positive thinking. In the case of the death of a loved one, it's a way providing positive support for those grieving.

8tywy0.jpg

God didn't elect Biden......demmycrats who conducted unconstitutional elections did.....
Proof you either a liar or truly demented, Pmp. Why do you believe the Republicans are such stupid fucking pussies to let Democrats steal an election right out from under a sitting Republican President and a Republican Congress?

Back