The Royal Family

Why does the US media make such a big deal over a figurehead monarchy in a country that is not our own?

No offense to our members in the UK....but I just don't get it.

Simple. The Royal family rules this country still. Google is your friend.

Simple. The Royal family rules this country still. Google is your friend.

The royal family doesn't have any real power. Theoretically, they have some reserve powers, but at this point in Britian's development any use of them in a truly meaningful way would likely lead to a constitutional crisis, and in any such standoff parliament would hold all the cards. As far as the system has, by now, evolved towards the doctrine of parliamentary supremacy (where the only limit on parliaments power is that it can't limit its own power), the parliament could just pass a law to remove the monarch, strip them of the reserve power in question, or simply nullify their use of it, and that would be that. They wouldn't really be able to fight it, as the government answers to the prime minister.

As for why they're liked, well, I suppose it's not that bizarre. People in positions who's honor and prestige outstrips its actual power and responsibility are typically well liked. Figurehead monarchs and presidents get a lot of attention without having to dirty their hands in the business of government, they sit silently in the background and look cute, while the people to project their own opinions and values on to them. It's not just limited to Britian, figureheads throughout the parliamentary system typically have far higher approval ratings than the guy actually running the show. It's even sort of the same way in China, which has a history of well liked premiers such as Zhou Enlai and Wen Jiabao serving along much more mixed general secretaries like Mao Zedong and Hu Jintao (the premier runs the state, which sounds impressive, but in the Chinese system the state is subordinate to the party, leaving the premier basically with the power to do what the general secretary tells him).

i personally would resent having people on paper being more pure than me and "above" me.

'Above me' how? They are a sight better than elected party politicians hated by half the electorate, but it should be a Civil Service job, held by someone with diplomatic skills, and infinite capacity for boredom and pretty daughters willing to marry and divorce in public before they all abdicated at the end of ten years!

The royal family doesn't have any real power. Theoretically, they have some reserve powers, but at this point in Britian's development any use of them in a truly meaningful way would likely lead to a constitutional crisis, and in any such standoff parliament would hold all the cards. As far as the system has, by now, evolved towards the doctrine of parliamentary supremacy (where the only limit on parliaments power is that it can't limit its own power), the parliament could just pass a law to remove the monarch, strip them of the reserve power in question, or simply nullify their use of it, and that would be that. They wouldn't really be able to fight it, as the government answers to the prime minister.

As for why they're liked, well, I suppose it's not that bizarre. People in positions who's honor and prestige outstrips its actual power and responsibility are typically well liked. Figurehead monarchs and presidents get a lot of attention without having to dirty their hands in the business of government, they sit silently in the background and look cute, while the people to project their own opinions and values on to them. It's not just limited to Britian, figureheads throughout the parliamentary system typically have far higher approval ratings than the guy actually running the show. It's even sort of the same way in China, which has a history of well liked premiers such as Zhou Enlai and Wen Jiabao serving along much more mixed general secretaries like Mao Zedong and Hu Jintao (the premier runs the state, which sounds impressive, but in the Chinese system the state is subordinate to the party, leaving the premier basically with the power to do what the general secretary tells him).

Yes Watermark, but I said this country, not GB. The European Royal family rules the US.

Back