The rural America death spiral

The piece is a little outdated, being pre Covid. In fact, NYC is dead and there is a real estate boom as far north as 100 miles from the city. Everyone is fleeing to the safety of rural America, saving tens of thousands/year on rent.

I think we're going to see large corporations leave the huge buildings and have staff work from home. The savings are astronomical. Covid accidentally showed them a new business model.

We would prefer you trash staying in your shithole illegal infested cities.

Small towns are in serious trouble. Tens of millions of people left rural communities in the second-half of the 20th-century, and many communities continue to lose their young people to larger cities. Businesses and population alike have taken huge hits, as freeways run motorists around (or over) these towns, but never slowly through them. Rural taxpayers subsidize their own demise, even as they pursue an approach to growth that is designed to decline.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2020/6/24/small-towns-are-dying-can-they-be-saved

Small towns are in serious trouble. Tens of millions of people left rural communities in the second-half of the 20th-century, and many communities continue to lose their young people to larger cities. Businesses and population alike have taken huge hits, as freeways run motorists around (or over) these towns, but never slowly through them. Rural taxpayers subsidize their own demise, even as they pursue an approach to growth that is designed to decline.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2020/6/24/small-towns-are-dying-can-they-be-saved

guno is a jewnigger faggot with rotten cumbreath.

When's the last time you shot a chicken in the neck with a 30-.06 @ 100 yards that you stepped off?
Laid down the cracked corn and waited,..

Never shot a chicken in the neck at 100 yd. with a .30-06. A groundhog at 780 yd. with a .220, though (using a rangefinder).

Never shot a chicken in the neck at 100 yd. with a .30-06. A groundhog at 780 yd. with a .220, though (using a rangefinder).

Just a regular .220? Nothing wrong with that. :)
Never taken a shot that far myself.
Okay, so my best friend's uncle had this .220 Swift, and that was his favorite gun.
Had one of them multilayer and colored wood stocks n stuff?
He was a gunsmith by trade, and that was his favorite gun,
I can vouch for that he knew a thing or 2. :)

Last edited:
Yep. A 50+ yr. old .220 Swift, at that

Ah! .220 Swift! That was my friend's uncle's favorite gun!
I shot it once..It hit where I was aiming. It had one of them multi-colored rainbow stocks, and he did some work on it, too.
1 shot= about a dollar with that. :dunno:
Unless you reload.
I felt privileged just to shoot the thing twice.
It let me know he liked me. :laugh:
You know, I knew his brother, but he actually was a lot better than his brother.
Idk..it is what it is.
That was a sweet gun. Yessir!
I'd like to know where that gun is now, apparently nobody does..yikes!
I've had it in my hands, and now it's poofed.

Last edited:
Ah! .220 Swift! That was my friend's uncle's favorite gun!
I shot it once..It hit where I was aiming.

The Swift is the most accurate of all my rifles. Although the L579 and the 700 BDL are pretty close. The M-1 and M1-A are also notables...

The Swift is the most accurate of all my rifles. Although the L579 and the 700 BDL are pretty close. The M-1 and M1-A are also notables...

My .06 is pleasingly accurate. I'm a stickler for accurate.
My friend's uncle's gun filled the bill. Yessir
Now from what I understand it's disappeared, and that's a shame,
Marlin model 60s are nicely accurate. I used to set off shotgun shells with mine. And top out trees.

Couple of 12s into the tree just about the length of the shotgun shell, get back a ways and pop the the primer with teh .22
Yeah, I did that.
I had fun growing up. :)

Last edited:
Remmington Model 700 BDL. I bought it in 1978. Paid $500, including a 3X9 Leupold Compact scope, rings and a nice sling. The only modification was truing the bolt, which I did myself.

I had an aunt that used to take a deer every year with a gold engraved BAR .06
Her husband got her the best.
All this time I was wondering why my chili wasn't as good as hers.
Then her son told me: "She was putting that deer meat in there, you didn't know?." Oh wow! I never knew that. LOL
Her chili was the best! I loved it!

$500 was a lot of money in 1978!
That'd be around over $2k now.

Last edited:
Back