The Vest May Be Toast

How can they if he's resigned?

Siggghhhhh......I'm just gob smacked that a man of Tressels intelligence and media savy could do something as stupid as try to cover up a violation by players in which a clear track record existed vis-a-vis a Federal investigation. In related news. Ed Rife, the owner of the tattoo parlor has plead guilty to federal drug charges for selling upwards of 20# of pot. He could get 20 years but by Federal guidelines should get 3 to 5 years.

Well best wishes to Luke Fickell. Rumor has it their going to pad his schedule with losers like LSWhoo.

Wow worse case of tiger eve ever. Reminder we smoked Ohio slow while they were cheating. And cheating to win in the little ten. Lol

Tressell may have had good intentions where Pryor was concerned, but it ruined him in the long run. "The Vest" had a reputation for running a good program, but he tossed all that aside by the way he coddled Pryor.

So does anyone think Urban Meyer is the next head coach at OSU?

Tressell may have had good intentions where Pryor was concerned, but it ruined him in the long run. "The Vest" had a reputation for running a good program, but he tossed all that aside by the way he coddled Pryor.

So does anyone think Urban Meyer is the next head coach at OSU?
I hope not. I'm sure Urban would jump at the job and he's a great coach but I think I share most Buckeye's feelings in that I don't want him as our head coach. Let him go back to Florida. He made his bed, let him sleep in it. I hear talk from the media with Meyer, Stoops and Pelini at the top of the short list. Just goes to show you what morons they are. My #1 pick would be Jon Gruden. He's a better coach then Meyers, Stoops or Pelini.

Rumor has it Gruden wants to get back into coaching. The Ohio State job would be a perfect match. He'd get the level of control that he's not going to get with an NFL job and he'd kick ass on recruiting. Nationally he'd attract national caliber talent as most kids want a shot at the NFL. Who better to get them there then a head coach who's won a Super Bowl? At the State level, and this is even more important for the kind of depth needed to win championships, Gruden knows the State and he knows how to build a network with the Ohio high school programs just as Tressel did. Something their predecessor John Copper wasn't as good at. Gruden also has the personal charm and charisma that will make him a hit with parents and players on the recruiting trail. Last but not least, He's an Ohio man. I don't want an outsider coaching at Ohio State. That's the problem with Meyers. After crushing OSU in the 2007 NCG, he's now viewed as an outsider even though he's originally from Ashtabula.

My guess is one of three things will happen. #1. Luke Fickell will pull off an upset, win the Big 10 and win the Rose Bowl and will get at least another year. #2. OSU will make Gruden an offer and give him the kind of control he'd never get in the pros. #3. OSU will do as they did with other great Buckeye coaches and pick a man like Paul Brown, Woody, Wes Fessler and Tressel who had an outstanding record at a mid major program inside the State of Ohio. To emphasize my point. When John Cooper was fired no one in the national media had Jim Tressel high on their list while anyone who knew anything about Ohio football knew he was a front runner for the job.

Last edited:
I think hiring Meyer would be a mistake. The Urban Meyer we saw last year was a different coach from the one who cranked up the Gators when he was hired.

If for no other reason than the health problems, some of which are aggravated by stress, he would not be as successful at OSU.

I don't see Gruden coming out of the NFL for a ccollege coaching gig. I think this will be a golden opportunity for a lower level coach to step into the limelight.

No way Gruden goes from 2 Super Bowls to a team with no chance to beat the SEC Champion.

With Gruden as a head coach, OSU might be the team to beat the SEC Champs on a regular basis. At least after they recovered from the sanctions. But I doubt the sanctions will be nearly as severe as USC's or even Bama's.

I think hiring Meyer would be a mistake. The Urban Meyer we saw last year was a different coach from the one who cranked up the Gators when he was hired.

If for no other reason than the health problems, some of which are aggravated by stress, he would not be as successful at OSU.

I don't see Gruden coming out of the NFL for a ccollege coaching gig. I think this will be a golden opportunity for a lower level coach to step into the limelight.
Oh I defineatly see Gruden jumping at a shot at the OSU job. He's one of the best coachs in the nation at any level. He's an Ohio native, he not only get a level of control that he could never get in the NFL but he'd get an opportunity to rescue the Buckeyes program from the NCAA sanctions that are sure to come. It's not just a matter of him wanting the job. It's a matter of his home state calling on him to save the program by rebuilding it. If called to do that....he will.

With Gruden as a head coach, OSU might be the team to beat the SEC Champs on a regular basis. At least after they recovered from the sanctions. But I doubt the sanctions will be nearly as severe as USC's or even Bama's.
That depends on how the investigation of the car deals goes. I'm sure there's a lot of NCAA head coaches assholes are puckered over that investigation cause it's pretty common knowledge about the sweet heart deals major college players get from local car dealers. It's been going on for many years on many campuses. If OSU get's burned for it......then others will too. Also, keep in mind, that the NCAA is sooooooo pissed off at Auborn over Scam Newtons pay for play deal that they will probably come down real hard on the Buckeyes over it.

If the investigation on the cars turns up nothing then it's a matter of Tressel lying about a minor infraction. Since he resigned and if Gene Smith resignes too then the penalties won't be nearly as severe as USC's. So assuming the car investigation is much ado about nothing, then the only way the NCAA comes down that hard on OSU is if Gene Smith tries to hang on as the AD.....the NCAA will want OSU to clean house of the whole AD leadership for OSU to avoid major sanctions.

Great article on the lie of shamateur atheletics and the NCAA. http://sports.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?aid=809490&acid=2&afid=0
It is a great articls and it certainly does explain why they are demonizing Tressel. They have to keep up the scharade. I personally have no problem with them paying student athletes. Hell they pay grad students stipends. Why not athletes and I also agree that the sham of amatuerism is at the heart of corruption in college athletics. His conclusion is right, it is the system which is at fault.

Back