There is STILL nothing like a good old charcoal grill...

Wouldnt touch gas with a ten foot pole. Might as well just cook inside then. Im slowly inching towards a pellet grill but I dont know,....I enjoy the challenge of charcoal,....the whole process.

Today I kept it simple.....

Veggie kabobs. Green and orange peppers, onions and portabello mushrooms. Brushed with olive oil and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.

A nice healthy salad taken right from our own garden.

Corn on the cob.

Chicken thighs are fantastic on a charcoal grill. Let them marinade for about 3 and a half hours in a mix of a little olive oil, Balsamic vinegar dressing, soy sauce, a little fresh squeezed lime juice, lemon pepper and garlic. Slathered them up in some heinz 57 and started sizzling. Man oh man,...good eats! :whoa:

Yep,.....no pellet grill for me yet. I know its wayyyyyyy easier but Im still having fun the old school way.
Gas grills are ok for certain things, and are very convenient if you're in a rush. You don't need charcoal to do veggies. We have a new gas grill with a turbo burner that finally browns meat/chicken.

But...I use cherry that I split into thin pieces and start a roaring fire in an old style grill. When the fire burns down I cook and there is nothing like it. When I do rib eyes, people tell me that they've never had one in any restaurant that is as good.

Great for marinated chicken too. Very similar to charcoal I'm sure.

I'm doing the wood charcoal with an egg. Could not agree more about gas. Just no point to it. Chicken, pork, steak all better on the grill. Grill my sweet corn in the husks too.

Happy Fourth!!
Our new gas grill has a small box above one burner for pellets or wood chunks to give the wood flavor. I haven't tried it yet, as I use the wood fire for most of my meals.

Gas grills are ok for certain things, and are very convenient if you're in a rush. You don't need charcoal to do veggies. We have a new gas grill with a turbo burner that finally browns meat/chicken.

But...I use cherry that I split into thin pieces and start a roaring fire in an old style grill. When the fire burns down I cook and there is nothing like it. When I do rib eyes, people tell me that they've never had one in any restaurant that is as good.

Great for marinated chicken too. Very similar to charcoal I'm sure.

Wood grilling is easily the best tasting food.

Wood grilling is easily the best tasting food.

There was one couple at the campground who would grill shrimp over a campfire. I stopped by and they made me a half dozen. I don't know how they seasoned them, but they were some of the best shrimp I ever ate (one of the perks for being the campground gestapo).

My wife is more into chicken,... me? More of a steak guy. Guess who won? Not ME! I let her win though...:cool: Gonna keep it easy again. Marinating some thighs now for later,...Im like a mad scientist with my marinades though,...I like heat and spice. Gonna do some black eyed peas with peppers and onions, A salad, and some grilled corn on the cobb. I may even do Mexican street corn instead like Ive been promising her. Happy wife=Happy life...;)

Last edited:
I am using my pellet grill/smoker more and more these days

Got my eye on a charcoal gravity fed hopper style smoker/grill , but those cost a ton!

just use a George Foreman inside and quit pretending you are grilling

Lol…I have a George Foreman too. Gas grill, charcoal grill, pellet grill and electric box smoker. Got all my bases covered.

Promised to cook burgers for my 8th grade class if over 80% of them passed their state tests one year. They did. I cooked 40 patties in no time on the Foreman, 7 at a time. Worked great.

Made a similar promise to my 7th graders last April. Got their results in a couple weeks ago. They did it, but this time I’ll just be out pizza. Less work for me. :)

Back