There is STILL nothing like a good old charcoal grill...

Charcoal works well, Stoner, but it requires patience.

Propane is incredibly easy and obviously faster.

Nothing wrong with charcoal. It's quite good, in fact.
Propane is just a lot easier for those to whom easy is a priority.

Charcoal works well, Stoner, but it requires patience.

Propane is incredibly easy and obviously faster.

Nothing wrong with charcoal. It's quite good, in fact.
Propane is just a lot easier for those to whom easy is a priority.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter to me how anyone chooses to prepare their food. I only care how I do because we are the ones eating it. I was just kind of curious to see how many people still choose to go the old tried and true route and I must say I was pleasantly surprised that so many people still choose quality over quicker, faster, easier. Its encouraging. Good things are worth the wait. This is why a great Ribeye at a nice steak house will always be better than a big mac garbage burger at a Mcdonalds. :)

Yeah, I'm a propane guy ("propane and propane accessories")... I like the ease of it... charcoal tastes better, but it's more work.

Lol…I have a George Foreman too. Gas grill, charcoal grill, pellet grill and electric box smoker. Got all my bases covered.

Promised to cook burgers for my 8th grade class if over 80% of them passed their state tests one year. They did. I cooked 40 patties in no time on the Foreman, 7 at a time. Worked great.

Made a similar promise to my 7th graders last April. Got their results in a couple weeks ago. They did it, but this time I’ll just be out pizza. Less work for me. :)

I have an indoor smokeless grill as well although its not a Foreman. Works well,....but the cook times are a bit longer than advertised. I simply dont use it much though. Really only if the weather is super shitty, down pouring outside but still have the urge to grill. .

In all fairness though,....I do get why people choose to use propane. I myself would never think of firing up the grill if I had a busy day lined up. No way. Thats something I only do when I have the whole day set aside as a laid back day where I can spend the day just kind of hanging around in the back yard and taking it easy. I look at cooking out as an enjoyable activity and not just COOKING SUPPER. Almost like a hobby that I do for the fun of it.

I have an indoor smokeless grill as well although it’s not a Foreman. Works well,....but the cook times are a bit longer than advertised. I simply dont use it much though. Really only if the weather is super #$&$#@, down pouring outside but still have the urge to grill. .

The advantage of the Foreman is the cook time. It’s fast. Really fast. The downside is the cleanup. It’s a messy process and mine is so old the “non-stick” coating is wearing off so it requires a bit of scrubbing. Still it’s good to have on hand though I only use it every year or two.

Edit: I was going to mention that I also use it for a panini press if the sandwiches aren’t too thick. Works pretty good for that.

The advantage of the Foreman is the cook time. It’s fast. Really fast. The downside is the cleanup. It’s a messy process and mine is so old the “non-stick” coating is wearing off so it requires a bit of scrubbing. Still it’s good to have on hand though I only use it every year or two.

I might look into that then. Ours is smokeless, and cleans up fairly easy but its pretty slow. Cant remember what brand it is, my wife bought it after seeing an ad on tv.

Why? Do you just prefer the ease of gas or is it some other reason.

I use wood, brah.

It is what it is. :dunno:

My fires I start from like, dried moss and skinny oak sticks, that's just how I roll.

Then comes bigger oak sticks and bigger oak.

I've burnt down acres, and my friend's burnt down more. I know how to start a fire, yessir.

Much of it I learned from him, tbh.

How to stick the skinny oak sticks into what's going to really make it jam. True Story.

I use wood, brah.

It is what it is. :dunno:

My fires I start from like, dried moss and skinny oak sticks, that's just how I roll.

Then comes bigger oak sticks and bigger oak.

I've burnt down acres, and my friend's burnt down more. I know how to start a fire, yessir.

Much of it I learned from him, tbh.

How to stick the skinny oak sticks into what's going to really make it jam. True Story.

We use wood for the smoker for brisket

In all fairness though,....I do get why people choose to use propane. I myself would never think of firing up the grill if I had a busy day lined up. No way. Thats something I only do when I have the whole day set aside as a laid back day where I can spend the day just kind of hanging around in the back yard and taking it easy. I look at cooking out as an enjoyable activity and not just COOKING SUPPER. Almost like a hobby that I do for the fun of it.

the pellet grill can be that compromise though.

it heats up fast enough, and the cool down cycle is only 20 minutes while giving you almost as much smoke as lump coal.

Wouldnt touch gas with a ten foot pole. Might as well just cook inside then. Im slowly inching towards a pellet grill but I dont know,....I enjoy the challenge of charcoal,....the whole process.

Today I kept it simple.....

Veggie kabobs. Green and orange peppers, onions and portabello mushrooms. Brushed with olive oil and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.

A nice healthy salad taken right from our own garden.

Corn on the cob.

Chicken thighs are fantastic on a charcoal grill. Let them marinade for about 3 and a half hours in a mix of a little olive oil, Balsamic vinegar dressing, soy sauce, a little fresh squeezed lime juice, lemon pepper and garlic. Slathered them up in some heinz 57 and started sizzling. Man oh man,...good eats! :whoa:

Yep,.....no pellet grill for me yet. I know its wayyyyyyy easier but Im still having fun the old school way.

I understand the sentiment but a purpose built wood fired barbecue pit is IMO better than a charcoal grill.

Back