Thieving Cops

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/08/montgomery_cop_pleads_not_guil.html

"Christopher Jaeger, 32, was on duty and in uniform April 8 when he entered the WaWa store on Route 206 in Skillman and took a $1.49 Zone Bar without paying for it, police said. In addition to the second-degree official misconduct charge, Jaeger was charged with shoplifting. "

"If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison and up to $150,000 in fines for the official misconduct charge and up to six months incarceration and $1,000 in fines for the shoplifting offense. "

In all seriousness I could see how someone would accidently steal something as small as that. I've done it myself.

"Christopher Jaeger, 32, was on duty and in uniform April 8 when he entered the WaWa store on Route 206 in Skillman and took a $1.49 Zone Bar without paying for it, police said. In addition to the second-degree official misconduct charge, Jaeger was charged with shoplifting. "

"If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison and up to $150,000 in fines for the official misconduct charge and up to six months incarceration and $1,000 in fines for the shoplifting offense. "

Those are ridiculous punishments even if he stole it on purpose, they must be kidding me. Why not give him life at hard labor, after chopping off one of his hands? WTF is this?

i don't konw about there, but Cops do tend to do these things and expect to get away with it.

The fact that he is a cop may enhance to problem. But if he took it, how can he possibly plead not guilty.

(Oviously it goes without saying that he had to have taken it, and not paid for it)

Well, you would not plead guilty to official misconduct if you had done it on accident.
we don't know all the cercumstances. for instance was ot the only thing he took from the stare? as opposed to a bag of other groceries, etc. that he paid for? If it were the only thing, then he would not have forgotten it,

we don't know all the cercumstances. for instance was ot the only thing he took from the stare? as opposed to a bag of other groceries, etc. that he paid for? If it were the only thing, then he would not have forgotten it,
Hence the word "if".

Poor cops we need to pay em more money to keep em honest, like we do with congress ;)

They used to tell us at McD's that when on cash expect your till to end up a little short usually if it's ever off.
This is because if you give out not enough change, customers will complain about it, but if you accidentally give them too much then they won't say anything.
A lot of people become dishonest when they think it's something small. Makes you wonder but I think the cop probably made a mistake.

This is really what I've been critiscizing these "tough on crime" morons for...

Completely refusing to take cases on a rational, case by case basis.

There is no "one size fits all" punishment for any crime. Each crime is different and should be treated differently.
???
They are treated differently, all this alluded to was the maximum sentence, when in reality even the worst theivers get more lenient sentences.

elected officials and police officers should get harsher punishennt to offet the positions of trust and authority they hold.

I don't know. It could have went down either way, it could have been an accident or on purpose. If it was an accident he shouldn't get punished for it at all. I can recall getting to my car with a cart full of groceries and realizing that I may have forgotten to get ring up something. I almost stole something a few months back. I had to put it in my pocket to pick up something else and when I got to the register, I almost forgot to take it out fo my pocket. That got me really nervous actually. How would have I explained that? No one would have believed me. I wouldn't have believed me if I didn't actually experience it. The fact is the dudes a cop, makes good money and the bar is pretty small. On the surface unless the video tape showed otherwise, my prejudgement leaves to believe it was unintentional.

I have to agree with Lady T. Yesterday I went to the grocery and bought $150 worth. My youngest son had just come in from being in FL for 7 months and it was his birthday. We stopped at the grocery on the way home from the airport to get some of 'his favorite things.' I had picked up two birthday cards, holding them in my had so he couldn't read them. I nearly walked out with them, realizing as I went in my purse, 'Ooops.' Neither the cashier or the bagger had noticed.

I have to agree with Lady T. Yesterday I went to the grocery and bought $150 worth. My youngest son had just come in from being in FL for 7 months and it was his birthday. We stopped at the grocery on the way home from the airport to get some of 'his favorite things.' I had picked up two birthday cards, holding them in my had so he couldn't read them. I nearly walked out with them, realizing as I went in my purse, 'Ooops.' Neither the cashier or the bagger had noticed.

Please note:, both you and "T" are relating the same set of circumstances where you have bought other things, and forgotten a particular item. I've done that too. but I am saying that if it was the only item. it is kind of hard to forget it or say it was an accident.

Please note:, both you and "T" are relating the same set of circumstances where you have bought other things, and forgotten a particular item. I've done that too. but I am saying that if it was the only item. it is kind of hard to forget it or say it was an accident.

That's true. I think if he 'shoplifted' he should be prosecuted like anyone else. Not moreso, like someone earlier replied. Kind of reminds me of 'hate crime' add ons. Silly and wrong. Yes, he should lose his job.

Back