Think of a Number

I'm almost done with my Algebra I dvd's. Next-up will be Algebra II, and then hopefully I can dive back into Precalculus. This sucking at math is getting really olde.
Dude, I thought you were a college grad? How can you get through college with out Algebra? Hell everyone had to take at least two algebra classes at minimum at my college good ole State U. That was just a minimum all students had to take. As a life science major I had to take a minimum of 20 credits in math and 12 of those had to be 200 level or higher.

I posted it to see how many retards would come out of the woodwork, so my work is done. I reserve the right to do that on a semi regular basis.

I have forgotten more about maths than most people ever knew in the first place.

The maths I know was learned in the second place.

Maths is the proof that I have lived before. In that life I did something very bad (I have never discovered what) and have been condemned to spend the formative years of my life being punished on a daily basis for, amongst other things, not being remotely interested in the time it takes three men with two buckets to fill one bath of ANY bloody size.
I just wish I could travel back in time and right the wrong I did.

The maths I know was learned in the second place.

Maths is the proof that I have lived before. In that life I did something very bad (I have never discovered what) and have been condemned to spend the formative years of my life being punished on a daily basis for, amongst other things, not being remotely interested in the time it takes three men with two buckets to fill one bath of ANY bloody size.
I just wish I could travel back in time and right the wrong I did.
You know I've always enjoyed the practical aspects of applying math but learning it in the class room was a drag.

Let's put this in terms Tom can understand.

You have one animal that goes MOO-MOO (can you guess which one that is, children?) Now let's DOUBLE that! You now have two MOO-MOO's! Now let's add an OINK-OINK to that. That leaves us with TWO (have you memorized this number yet, children?) MOO-MOO's and one OINK-OINK! Now let's halve the number of MOO-MOO's! This leaves us with ONE MOO-MOO and ONE OINK-OINK! Now let's cut the OINK OINK in half! That leaves us with one MOO-MOO and half the corpse of an OINK-OINK! Now let's take away the MOO-MOO!

What do we have left, children? Just half the bloody corpse of an OINK OINK!

All those who guessed correctly will get a GOLD STAR! Nevermind, this is a JUDGEMENT FREE zone, so you ALL get GOLD STARS!

awesome post

Nice, it's always good to have more resources. I am currently watching The Teaching Company's "Great Courses" lecture series, both for math and ancient history. Good stuff, but, obviously I'm much better at history than math...

The Teaching Company labels all of their courses the "Great Courses". There are hundreds of them, and you're never going to get through with them.

History is the sort of thing that TTC is good at, because it doesn't require you to go out of your way to practice it. I don't think that their courses can be very good art teaching math. But I've never looked at any of their math courses either.

Except he didn't simplfy his formula which would be:

(x+y) - x = y

The formula simplifies to y/2. I made no attempt to simplify the initial formula, since the point was to make a step for step recreation of the initial process. Wolfram alpha, however, further simplified it to (1/2) (2X + Y) - X, before proceeding to the ultimate simplification of Y/2.

Also,

y/2 != y

Dude, I thought you were a college grad? How can you get through college with out Algebra? Hell everyone had to take at least two algebra classes at minimum at my college good ole State U. That was just a minimum all students had to take. As a life science major I had to take a minimum of 20 credits in math and 12 of those had to be 200 level or higher.

My recommendations for Algebra would be to learn how to use Wolfram Alpha or a TI-89. I make no claim to be able to do this by hand.

The only difficult math I had to do in college was in chemistry. The bullshit math class I took was not terribly rigorous, and the only difficulty consisted in the scale and detail of some of the topics we covered. Naturally, I still managed to only pull off an A-, and thus wrecked my opportunity to return home from my first semester with a 4.0.

WM, someday I might buy an almighty TI-92, but I still want to learn this shit. The TI-89 is garbage, and was being used when I was in 10th grade. The TI-92 literally does everything for you, including showing you the work. You will never again have to think for yourself in math if you invest in one.

Back