Thorn!

Stuff it desh..........

The entire dog loving world pretty much agrees on Border collies dude.

You just are set in your ideas like a true conservative. No facts can get through

I ran a equine race horse ranch after retirement...no way in hell would I allow a Border Collie on the premises...they are out of control dogs...like you!

Meg has me scared to death. I thought labs were one of the most obedient dogs. 3 years of chewing stuff? Yikes.

The ones I have been around make fine dogs, but getting there takes a while.
And by leaving them alone while you work, well it will make things take longer.
Puppies need love, and guidance, lots of it.

The entire dog loving world pretty much agrees on Border collies dude.

You just are set in your ideas like a true conservative. No facts can get through

Well one thing we can all agree on:

Even Beagles are smarter than BB and GWB.

The ones I have been around make fine dogs, but getting there takes a while.
And by leaving them alone while you work, well it will make things take longer.
Puppies need love, and guidance, lots of it.

I definitely think in the beginning I'll come home for lunch a couple of times when I'm in the office closer to my house. I wish I could be around it more though.

All Puppies chew...

Meg has me scared to death. I thought labs were one of the most obedient dogs. 3 years of chewing stuff? Yikes.

the thing you need to remember about taking responsibility of training a canine is to have the time to spend...Labs are by far the kindest,gentilist,loyal,intelligent of the breeds...just a fact! If you do not have the time...then don't get a dog!...if ya have one then give it tosomeone who does have the time and love needed!

I definitely think in the beginning I'll come home for lunch a couple of times when I'm in the office closer to my house. I wish I could be around it more though.

Labs are good dogs for hanging and waiting for you. Any puppy takes a while to get trained. Walk them regularly ,love them up every day and they will be happy to be in your home. I really do encourage you to get a rescue one though.

Whatever Bimbo.............

Well one thing we can all agree on:

Even Beagles are smarter than BB and GWB.

I tried to give you advice from a experienced person in the field...but by all means submitt to your idiot liberal 'no way' experience buddies...by bimbo!

haha don't let me scare you off. I love my dogs but it just took awhile to get there. I have always been a dog person and what i have found is that labs tend to stay in their puppy phase longer than others. Having said that, however, they do make very loving and loyal pets...

Well, its still a foster dog so if its too much I won't be obliged to keep it. But we'll see. It also is my first foster and my friend that did it said she was way too attached to her first one and cried when it left.

That would be ideal. Our laundry room has a door to the backyard. Maybe I'll look to do it there. But from Meg is saying, the chewing is like forever.
We did this at our first house and it was perfect. I could close the door to the laundry room, the dog could get in there to stay warm and get outside. It was perfect.

We did this at our first house and it was perfect. I could close the door to the laundry room, the dog could get in there to stay warm and get outside. It was perfect.

That would be ideal. There isn't too much to tear up in there that isn't metal.

If you can put up a dog gate to keep them in the room where the back door has access and put in a dog door. Then make sure the room has a hard surface which is easly to clean. Spray the bitter lemon on everything you dont want them to chew and then get them chew toys.

This is the closest to what I'd recommend, too. I don't know how high your fence is in the back, or how much room you have, so you'll have to consider that in giving her unrestricted access to the back. Labs are roamers by nature, as well as being chewers while they're young. You don't want her clearing your fence, or going through it, either! Was she microchipped where you got her? Both my guys are chipped, and the chip number is also on a tag on the collar along with a number. Our number is on a different tag and the vet's number is on the rabies tag.

My guys now stay inside during the day, in a 9 x 12 room with ceramic tile floor, plus the kitchen and carpeted hallway. There's a widespace barrier closing off the living room. They have their beds, loads of toys, water (food is given twice per day; if they freefed they'd be tanks!), indoor pads if they need to relieve themselves, and NPR for company. They use the pads and whoever gets home first just disposes of them. (I tried that doggy litter; forget it! Barley thought it was to eat and it isn't all that neat or even absorbent anyway. Plus it's expensive).

We don't have a doggy door and I still don't expect to put one in. After the trouble with Rory's poor stomach after he ate all those acorns, plus the coyotes right outside the fence, we're taking no chances. As soon as we get home we run around outside with them, play fetch and catch and run. They also love frisbee.

I haven't seen bitter lemon, but our local pet store (ok we're in the boonies, don't forget) carries bitter apple. Any bitter stuff should work, but you have to apply it every day. Our guys used to use the outside door mats as banners to carry around the yard; I learned the benefits of spraying daily to discourage seeing those as toys.

Crate training is fine, especially at night if you don't want the dog sleeping with you (look who's talking, though!). But you'll be away for, what, 10 hours each day? You don't want to leave a dog in a crate for that long at a stretch.

I'm so excited for you! Labs are such great dogs and there's so much to love about them. If this is your first pet, especially as an adult, you may find from time to time that you question whether or not you're up to this, but hang in there, it's worth it! :p

Back