Toughest State In College Football

Not surprisingly, the chart shoots down the Mott's theory that Ohio is such a great state, while Alabama is so low.

Ohio - 226
Alabama - 224

The biggest 3 were expected, then NC and TN. So Ohio is #6 and AL is #7.

Also, I see that the Big 10 and the Pac 10 each accounted for 10% of the players drafted during that time. While the SEC accounted for 14%.

Good find, CAWacko.

I would still argue that high school football is more an indicator of "home grown talent".

And in high school football Ohio ranks only behind the Big 3 and Georgia.

And not to be defensive (which I am) but with the SEC having more teams the three conferences are relatively even as far as the numbers of players drafted, with the SEC having just a slight advantage.

I would still argue that high school football is more an indicator of "home grown talent".

And in high school football Ohio ranks only behind the Big 3 and Georgia.

And not to be defensive (which I am) but with the SEC having more teams the three conferences are relatively even as far as the numbers of players drafted, with the SEC having just a slight advantage.

If you are going to adjust the conferences for the number of teams, why not by the populations of the states?

Looking at the High School list:

In CA, one in every 49,337.8 people were drafted in the NFL. For TX it was one in 38,985.5. For FL it is one in every 31,438.0 drafted. And in Ohio it was one in every 44,519.

For Alabama, one in every 26,190.4 people were drafted in the NFL. In Louisianna it is one in every 17,572.9 people.

So if you factor in the populations of the states, a greater portion of Alabama made it into the NFL than the top 5 states producers.

Again, great find CA.

Last edited:
If you are going to adjust the conferences for the number of teams, why not by the populations of the states?

Looking at the High School list:

In CA, one in every 49,337.8 people were drafted in the NFL. For TX it was one in 38,985.5. For FL it is one in every 31,438.0 drafted. And in Ohio it was one in every 44,519.

For Alabama, one in every 26,190.4 people were drafted in the NFL. In Louisianna it is one in every 17,572.9 people.

So if you factor in the populations of the states, a greater portion of Alabama made it into the NFL than the top 5 states producers.

Again, great find CA.

Haha... you are doing way to much math for me however you are right you can break it down that way if you want to.

I think someone posted that chart on the USC board today. Yeah, it is really interesting and I'm glad the USA Today put it all together. It's great info.

Haha... you are doing way to much math for me however you are right you can break it down that way if you want to.

I think someone posted that chart on the USC board today. Yeah, it is really interesting and I'm glad the USA Today put it all together. It's great info.

I didn't do math. I opened Excel and plugged in numbers & formula. (plus used the Copy/Paste function)

If you're talking sheer quantity, you have to give it up for California. Over the long run, Cal, USC, Stanford, and UCLA routinely or commonly are in the top 25. Are there any other states that have four DIV 1 schools that routinely crack the top 25?

Again, for sheer quantity, you gotta give it up to texas and florida as well. Texas Tech, UT, and A&M are routinely cracking the top 25 over the long term, as is FSU, Gators, and Miami in FLA.
I went strictly by the most wins at the Div IA level.

Here's an interesting chart. You can click on the state and it tells you how many high school kids got drafted by the NFL and how many college kids from the state got drafted by the NFL.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/draft-history-graphic.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Here's something interesting I see in conference data. You can see clearly a big shift toward parity between the major 6 conferences beginning around the time the BCS started. The Big winner has been the Big East. If talent is any measure then this chart just goes to show how competitive college football has become for the major 6 BCS conferences.

It makes you wonder where the Big East would have been if it hadn't of had the automatic BCS tie in. I thought losing BC, Miami and Va-Tech was a death blow to the Big East. This data has shown that the Big East has pretty much recovered from having to reorganize and appears to be stronger than ever, thanks to the BCS tie in.

Last edited:
Here's something interesting I see in conference data. You can see clearly a big shift toward parity between the major 6 conferences beginning around the time the BCS started. The Big winner has been the Big East. If talent is any measure then this chart just goes to show how competitive college football has become for the major 6 BCS conferences.

That is why I love college football. No matter how big a powerhouse they may have been, on any given saturday they can lose.

Oooo what a cheap shot to an Ohio guy. But were not going by opinion. Were going by who won the most games. By that objective criteria...in 2009 Ohio be #2. BTW, This is Cinci's 2nd year in a row to win a BCS birth. Granted their not a traditional power house but hardly a Cinderella team....Though certainly beating Florida would be considered an upset. After seeing how Florida played against a good team...I wouldn't count Cincinnati out.

With just under 20 mins left in the game and a score of 37-3, I think we can count Cincy out.

With just under 20 mins left in the game and a score of 37-3, I think we can count Cincy out.

LOL... Yeah, that BIG BAD OHIO FOOTBALL! The BEST team they have this year, and they can't score more than a field goal against Florida who is making them into their little whimpering bitches in the Sugar Bowl!

Eat CROW Mott... then Eat SHIT and DIE! :pke:

Last edited:
LOL... Yeah, that BIG BAD OHIO FOOTBALL! The BEST team they have this year, and they can't score more than a field goal against Florida who is making them into their little whimpering bitches in the Sugar Bowl!

They have mounted a comeback of EPIC proportions! Theres only 10 mins left and Cincy is only down by 24 points.

(added later) And the final score is 51-24. I'd call that a severe thumping.

Last edited:

Hehehe, I'll make you pay for that one Dixie if Bama loses to Texas (like they always have). Besides, your a complete football idiot if you think Cinci is better than Ohio State. Ohio State played and beat a better team than either Sugar Bowl team.

Hehehe, I'll make you pay for that one Dixie if Bama loses to Texas (like they always have). Besides, your a complete football idiot if you think Cinci is better than Ohio State. Ohio State played and beat a better team than either Sugar Bowl team.

Not defending Dixie, but that ain't gonna happen, Mott. Everything I have heard out of the UA says the team is focused and united. Its gonna be a steamrolling machine.

Like I said, the law of averages says Bama beats Texas sooner or later, and will not remain winless against them forever. I think this is a good year to end that trend, and the odds are in our favor.

As for Ohio Slow, they were NOT ranked higher than Cinci, you pretty much admitted the other day, Cinci was better this year! "Who's the #4 team in the nation Dixie? I'll give you a hint. It's not Ohio State." And Florida, even with the loss to Bama, is a better team than Oregon... SORRY! So far, the only "better team than Florida" is Alabama! Ohio State hasn't played Alabama... in fact, Ohio State has never beaten Alabama! LOL

Back