TURKEY ALTERNATIVE?

SEE...I knew it! Ain't none of it tasting like chicken! One honest man out of the bunch of ya :)

The most daring things I have eaten...and liked (hated raw oysters) Was abalone and crawdads. The crawdads I ate when I was like 7. I remember eating them and liking them; though as an adult I have not had opportuinity nor inclination to try them again. My mom had told my brothers you could eat crawdads when they came home with some from our creek. Soon there after they and their buddies came home with buckets of them and asked to have her cook them up...it's one of those rare memories where the sights and smells-the sounds even- are clear as day. All of us sitting around out on the patio in cut-off shorts us girls in our swimsuit tops with piles of crawdads on our plates and koolaid stains on our upper lip!

We had old slews that ran all over the countryside when we moved north a few years later, that were famous for catfish and frogs. My brothers went out gigging frog all the time. But by this time I was 12 and I was having no part of eating frogs-not then and I don't feel much inclined to change now :)

So I guess you don't like the tops of all meals and that is Liver and Onions.

I think I can live a little with delicicious cuisine without resorting to "me Tarzan you Jane" food :)

Reptiles, amphibians and rodents are not adventurous meals, they are survial protein for he-men...you fellas have at it!

Rodents...now there's something I love. Fried squirrel. My favorite wild game. A friend of mine suggested that I open a restaurant specializing in fried squirrel and call it OFR.... Oklahoma Fried Rodent. Oh, liver and onions are way up there on my list but I try to abstain because of the cholesterol.

So I guess you don't like the tops of all meals and that is Liver and Onions.

We used to buy raw milk from this elderly couple who owned a real working farm. They became attached to my younger sister and me. One weekend my folks were going to be out of town and so this couple said we could stay with them on their farm. Don't get me wrong we LOVED the farm-but their idea of good cuisine was to cook vegetables 'til they were like mush and fry up liver and onions...uuuuhhhhhgggggggggg!

Rodents...now there's something I love. Fried squirrel. My favorite wild game. A friend of mine suggested that I open a restaurant specializing in fried squirrel and call it OFR.... Oklahoma Fried Rodent. Oh, liver and onions are way up there on my list but I try to abstain because of the cholesterol.

GRRRRROOOOOOOOS dude-LOL!

My brothers ate squirrel too; they called it their camping food-that and quail.

Squirrel is good also.

We had a friend that was a sheep herder one year, just before he headed back up north for the summer, he brought over a whole pan full of lambs liver.
I was in heaven, for a month.

Liver is full of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. Some people have a genetic trait (about 25% of the population) where they can actually taste acetylcholine. For the rest it's tasteless. For those who can taste it, it's very, very, very bitter. I can taste it and I hate liver and onions!

Liver is full of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. Some people have a genetic trait (about 25% of the population) where they can actually taste acetylcholine. For the rest it's tasteless. For those who can taste it, it's very, very, very bitter. I can taste it and I hate liver and onions!

It must be natures way of weeding out that small percentage of weenies. :chesh:

It must be natures way of weeding out that small percentage of weenies. :chesh:
Then why are we still here? Actually it's beef liver I can't stand. Venison liver is very good and who doesn't like patte (goose liver) or brunzeiger (pork liver) and I have some killer chicken livers recipes. Ramake is a great snack. take a slice of water chestnut and slide it onto a tooth pick, add a chicken liver, another slice of water chestnut, wrap with bacon. Do that with a pint of chicken livers then bake at 350 F till the bacon is crispy. Make a dipping sauce on one part fresh lime juice and one part soy sauce. You'll love it.

Here's another one.

Grind up about a cup of coffee beans. Rinse a pint of chicken livers in a collander. roll the livers in the coffee grounds and then in some flour. Set aside. Cook 3 strips of bacon in a large pan till crisp, remove bacon and reserve some of the fat. Fry the chicken livers in the bacon fat till crispy. Season with salt and pepper then remove. Dice a bundle of green onions and sautee in reserved bacon grease with some garlic then add a cup of heavy cream and a little chicken stock and bring to a boil and reduce it a little. Add chicken livers, toss and cook in sauce till heated through. Pour sauce over a package of cooked linginue, crumble the bacon, some parmasagn cheese and some parsley. Toss well and serve. The interesting thing about this recipe is that people will notice the robust full flavor but won't identify it as coffee. I've tried this with and without rolling the livers in coffee grounds and you cannot believe what a difference the coffee makes.

Last edited:
Snake tastes like snake, not chicken. It isn't bad, has a texture of its own, and can be fried or grilled in multiple different ways. The best I can describe is a taste somewhere between chicken and fish... but waaaay better. Try new things people, don't be scared.

Snake tastes like snake, not chicken. It isn't bad, has a texture of its own, and can be fried or grilled in multiple different ways. The best I can describe is a taste somewhere between chicken and fish... but waaaay better. Try new things people, don't be scared.
There's a place in Covington, Ohio just north of Dayton that specializes in wild game. I've tried most things on their menu and I have to admit my favorite wild game is Bison. I've tried the filet and strip steaks and they were both as good as beef, though not as marbled. I also tried a meat loaf from the ground chuck and it was the best meat load I ever ate. Yum.

There's a place in Covington, Ohio just north of Dayton that specializes in wild game. I've tried most things on their menu and I have to admit my favorite wild game is Bison. I've tried the filet and strip steaks and they were both as good as beef, though not as marbled. I also tried a meat loaf from the ground chuck and it was the best meat load I ever ate. Yum.

"...it was the best meat load I ever ate..."

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Quoted for posterity.

LOL... "meat load"... And this time I really am LOLing... People are starting to stare.

Back