UP: Greatest Disney movie ever?

UP: Greatest Disney movie ever?

• Same as above but I also say no... wait...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thorn had the right answer Fantasia was brilliant.
Is it fair to compare full animation to computer graphics animation?

I don't know who is best but Fantasia is a remarkable and historical work of art. Not only that it's even better than a Pink Floyd concert when your on acid.

Pixar is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney.

OK, I stand corrected however Pixar remains a standalone unit hopefully not subject to the whims and caprice of the Disney empire.

Acquisition by Disney

Disney announced on January 24, 2006 that it had agreed to buy Pixar for approximately $7.4 billion in an all-stock deal. Following Pixar shareholder approval, the acquisition was completed May 5, 2006. The transaction catapulted Steve Jobs, who was the majority shareholder of Pixar with 50.1%, to Disney's largest individual shareholder with 7% and a new seat on its board of directors.[17] Jobs' new Disney holdings outpace holdings belonging to ex-CEO Michael Eisner, the previous top shareholder who still held 1.7%, and Disney Director Emeritus Roy E. Disney who held almost 1% of the corporation's shares.
As part of the deal, Lasseter, Pixar Executive Vice President and co-founder, became Chief Creative Officer (reporting to President and CEO Robert Iger and consulting with Disney Director Roy Disney) of both Pixar and the Walt Disney Animation Studios, as well as the Principal Creative Adviser at Walt Disney Imagineering, which designs and builds the company's theme parks.[17] Catmull retained his position as President of Pixar, while also becoming President of Walt Disney Animation Studios, reporting to Bob Iger and Dick Cook, chairman of Walt Disney Studio Entertainment. Steve Jobs' position as Pixar's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer was also removed, and instead he took a place on the Disney board of directors.[18]
Lasseter and Catmull's oversight of both the Disney and Pixar studios did not mean that the two studios were merging, however. In fact, additional conditions were laid out as part of the deal to ensure that Pixar remained a separate entity, a concern that analysts had about the Disney deal.[19] Some of those conditions were that Pixar HR policies would remain intact, including the lack of employment contracts. Also, the Pixar name was guaranteed to continue, and the studio would remain in its current Emeryville, California location with the "Pixar" sign. Finally, branding of films made post-merger would be "Disney•Pixar" (beginning with Cars).[20]
Today, Edwin Catmull serves as president of the combined Disney-Pixar animation studios, and John Lasseter serves as the studios' Chief Creative Officer. Catmull reports to Robert Iger as well as Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook. Lasseter, who has greenlight authority on all new films, also reports to Iger as well as consulting with Roy Disney.[21]
Jim Morris, producer of WALL-E, has been named general manager of Pixar. In this new position, Morris is in charge of the day-to-day running of the studio facilities and products.[22]

Last edited:
And you also want to make sure you see it in 3D.

Actually, I recommend that you don't watch it in 3d. The 3 dimensions didn't really improve the viewing quality (at least they didn't parade around those cheesy out-of-screen effects though), it reduced the color palette, and the tickets cost almost twice as much. I thought it was a mistake, at least, halfway through, although it wasn't a huge minus. Also, if you have anyone in your group sensitive to headaches, 3d is a huge no-no.

At least none of the Pixar films have been made into sequels through direct-to-video atrocities...

This is true. I sat down with the family a few years ago and endured Cinderella II - the worst movie ever made. I could probably even watch Little Mermaid II and not want to kill myself, but I strongly warn anyone here against submitting themselves to Cinderella II.

The only ones I know about for sure are Monsters Inc. 2, Cars 2 and Toy Story 3.

Monster's Inc. was pretty good, but I'm surprised they would make a third Toy Story before making A Bug's Life II... Oh, well, Toy Story is an excellent franchise, and beloved as the first Pixar entry.

Wall-E was better. UP in 3-D was pretty cool, and I like it pulled at your heartstrings immediatly. There were women in the theater actually crying within 5 minutes of it starting. Definatly in Disney's top 5, but not the best.

Back