Washington only works when there is compromise

Yeah there was no acrimony back then!
Good one

I think your irony escaped them. Sometime today I am set to begin reading a book titled "Rule and Ruin" on the destruction of moderates and the move to the Teaparty within the Republican Party from Eisenhower to today. I can hardly wait to begin it. It comes to me highly recommended by John Nichols, a man whose opinion I respect.

Sometime today I am set to begin reading a book titled "Rule and Ruin" on the destruction of moderates and the move to the Teaparty within the Republican Party from Eisenhower to today. I can hardly wait to begin it. It comes to me highly recommended by John Nichols, a man whose opinion I respect.

Let me know when you need help with the big words, will ya?

Lawmakers came into office this year representing districts whose lines were drawn by a nonpartisan commission, rather than under the more calculating eye of political leaders. This is the first Legislature chosen under an election system where the top two finishers in a nonpartisan primary run against each other, regardless of party affiliations, an effort to prod candidates to appeal to a wider ideological swath of the electorate.
fantastic. glad to hear it.

Let me know when you need help with the big words, will ya?

You haven't read a book since the 1930 Golden Book, The Little Engine That Could, so I doubt you'll be much help. I have an OED that has most of the "big words" in it and when I get into too much trouble I generally consult it. But I doubt an illiterate and inarticulate buffoon such as yourself would actually even know what I am referring to!

fantastic. glad to hear it.

There's less acrimony in California because it's one party rule. In general the inter party fighting is going to be far less than fighting between two different party's.

I fully supported the redistricting done by judges when Arnold put it on the ballot (and it was voted down) and when it got put on the ballot again. I think it will help. But one party rule trumps all.

tumblr_ljec007pN41qed6v3o1_400.gif

I think your irony escaped them. Sometime today I am set to begin reading a book titled "Rule and Ruin" on the destruction of moderates and the move to the Teaparty within the Republican Party from Eisenhower to today. I can hardly wait to begin it. It comes to me highly recommended by John Nichols, a man whose opinion I respect.

Thanks, "Rule and Ruin"

There's less acrimony in California because it's one party rule. In general the inter party fighting is going to be far less than fighting between two different party's.

I fully supported the redistricting done by judges when Arnold put it on the ballot (and it was voted down) and when it got put on the ballot again. I think it will help. But one party rule trumps all.
it might possibly work in CA. (one party), but that's not a template for the rest of the country -especially the battleground states.
But hey! at this point i'll take ANYTHING that gets past partisan gridlocked, obstructionism.. good for CA.

Thanks, "Rule and Ruin"

Sure! The full title is a mouthful: Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, From Eisenhower to the Tea Party (2012). I think it is now available in paperback. It is part of a series from Oxford University Press which seems to have some other titles that might also be worthwhile. One that I thought I might also like to read is titled: Rich People's Movements: Grassroots Campaigns to Untax the One Percent (Studies in Postwar American Political Development) (2013).

One party rule helps. However - it's not like Dems have run roughshod over Repubs in California. This may be the influence of Jerry Brown, who is proving himself pretty pragmatic and middle of the road. Yes, one party rule keeps a small minority of republicans from blocking progress. But you gotta admit, it has not been all about Dems getting whatever they want.

You guys really are braindead.

What in the OP "embraces that redefinition?" Please be specific.

Quite simple..... "going the way of Cruz" was cited as a negative, when he wanted to negotiate.

Obama refused and demanded complete compliance.

Hope that got through to your dead brain.

I'm tired of extremists drawing ideological lines in the sand. Tip & Ronnie worked together; Bill & Newt worked together.

The debt is the most significant issue we're likely to have in our lifetimes. The only way we're gonna solve it is if both sides give some ground on their precious "base" issues. For Democrats, that means entitlements. For the GOP, it means the defense budget & revenues.

If all politicians decide to go the way of Cruz, it's over, Johnny.
Would you buy a car from a company whose motto was "we compromise on quality and safety, and pass the savings on to you!". Compromise sucks in an environment where one party is fanatically partisan. And I'm talking about the democrats, NOT the GOP.

Quite simple..... "going the way of Cruz" was cited as a negative, when he wanted to negotiate.

Obama refused and demanded complete compliance.

Hope that got through to your dead brain.

Only a complete - and I'm talkin' 110% - hack would read the OP that way.

Cruz was not exactly up for compromise, and neither was Obama. Stop being a hack; open your eyes.

Back