Waste

I know this now, but didn't for a long time, and I cringe when I think of all of the advils and motrins I've popped over the years without a second thought. Now I only take them if it's really bad. Really, only when I get a migraine these days. Thanks Thorn.

No, not really...

Advil is bad for your stomach (that's about it), but I think you could honestly take Tylenol everday for your entire life, and it wouldn't hurt much unless you started drinking heavily.

I do too. But I have been able to fill a prescription, enjoy the heck out of it, and know that when it runs out, that's it. I did once consider buying them on the net, but I read about the effects on your liver, and I just decided I'm not going there. If I started doing that, I'd be hooked, and you know, you can't really pick up a new liver just anywhere.

Vikoden is like a very weak version of morphine, Darla. It will, of course, make you feel good. And there's never been anything discovered that's as good for pain as these opiates. But, I honestly wouldn't recommend using them for fun. It's addictive as hell. Even if you ever got off the addiction, you'd probably lapse back into it after a year.

I really wouldn't worry about your liver, that's not the main side effect.

Vikoden is like a very weak version of morphine, Darla. It will, of course, make you feel good. And there's never been anything discovered that's as good for pain as these opiates. But, I honestly wouldn't recommend using them for fun. It's addictive as hell. Even if you ever got off the addiction, you'd probably lapse back into it after a year.

I really wouldn't worry about your liver, that's not the main side effect.

Thanks. a lot of help here. :rolleyes:

You have to be really careful about liver damage with a lot of drugs; they all are processed first by the liver, after all, if they're taken orally. One of the bad ones is Advil and the other ibuprofens. It's a nuisance to read the package warnings, but nevertheless is a really good idea!

Serious question. When I go out drinking I have to take two or three advil or ibpurofen before bed or I have no chance of functioning the next day. I can't imagine combining the two is good for the body.

Can it do long term damage to your knowledge?

Serious question. When I go out drinking I have to take two or three advil or ibpurofen before bed or I have no chance of functioning the next day. I can't imagine combining the two is good for the body.

Can it do long term damage to your knowledge?

Advil is bad for your kidney, Caw. Not your liver. You'll be fine.

Someone who drinks as bad as you, however, should never touch Tylenol.

No, not Advil, Tylenol (Acetiminophen) is the one that's bad for your liver.

But you honestly have to take about 1000 MG's a day for it to have any effect on the liver, unless you drink like 3 shots a day.

Advil is chemically simialar to Aspirin. I've known people who've taken 50 Advil's and survived. If you tried that with Tylenol you'd be dead for sure of liver poisoning.

Read the label, WM. It's not a problem with the one-time use, necessarily, but the effects of an accumulation over time. I'm not sure which enzyme is affected; the most abundant is P-450 but it may not be that one.

Both acetysalycylic acid (aspirin) and ibuprofen (Advil, Nuprin, Motrin, etc.) are antiinflammatory, whereas acetaminophen (Tylenol) is not. Aspirin also is a blood-thinner; ibuprofen is not.

You're right; you definitely should be extremely careful with Tylenol, but not necessarily because of its effects on the liver, at least not acutely. A representative anecdote:

A few years ago, a college athlete here (probably a football player) went to the Emergency facility at UMC with severe flu symptoms. I don't know why the first question they asked wasn't "what are you taking?", though they might have asked what he was taking for the flu and not anything else. On the other hand, perhaps he was so miserable that he didn't think of the huge doses of prescription-strength Tylenol he'd been taking (probably to excess) for a knee injury he'd suffered during a game. In any event, the staff at UMC gave him meds for his flu -- guess what? -- Tylenol! He hadn't had the flu at all; those symptoms are also typical of acute acetaminophen poisoning. He was 18 years old, in good shape, and he died. From Tylenol. It wasn't liver poisoning, but it was enough to shut down kidneys, etc., and to kill him.

I'll look up acetaminophen poisoning and get back to you for its exact effects if you like.

I stand corrected ...

I stand corrected on the hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen (Tylenol). Apparently overdose of Tylenol is the greatest cause of acute liver failure both here and in the UK (and perhaps elsewhere). It has similar effects on the kidneys, through suppression of the same chemical, glutathione.

Acute overdose of ibuprofen, on the other hand, typically has few consequences, but it has been known (single overdose) to produce severe hypotension, cardiovascular shutdown, renal failure, and GI bleeding. Longer term of supra-pharmacologic doses (i.e. taking more than recommended over time) can affect liver, kidney, and the GI tract.

Neither Tylenol nor any of the NSAIDS (ibuprofen, e.g.) should be combined with alcohol because of their combined effect on the liver. This is especially dangerous with ibuprofen because immediate effects do not signal the damage caused over time.

I stand corrected on the hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen (Tylenol). Apparently overdose of Tylenol is the greatest cause of acute liver failure both here and in the UK (and perhaps elsewhere). It has similar effects on the kidneys, through suppression of the same chemical, glutathione.

Acute overdose of ibuprofen, on the other hand, typically has few consequences, but it has been known (single overdose) to produce severe hypotension, cardiovascular shutdown, renal failure, and GI bleeding. Longer term of supra-pharmacologic doses (i.e. taking more than recommended over time) can affect liver, kidney, and the GI tract.

Neither Tylenol nor any of the NSAIDS (ibuprofen, e.g.) should be combined with alcohol because of their combined effect on the liver. This is especially dangerous with ibuprofen because immediate effects do not signal the damage caused over time.

Thanks for all the info thorn, it is very confusing to figure it out from news reports.

I lost a good friend to liver failure. A drinker that took lots of tylenol for hangovers.

Thorn,
How is Naproxin ? I take 500 mg daily, along with lortab 7.5/500 or two. I have blood workups every 6 mos. And after 8 years still ok it seems.

Last edited:
I lost a good friend to liver failure. A drinker that took lots of tylenol for hangovers.

Thorn,
How is Naproxin ? I take 500 mg daily, along with lortab 7.5/500 or two. I have blood workups every 6 mos. And after 8 years still ok it seems.

Naproxin is like Ibuprofen and Aspirin, US. They're all part of the NSAID group.

Tylenol is a completely different drug and takes a different route.

That's about all I can tell you about it. I'm not sure if it has any additional effects.

Manufactuer Warning said:
Ibuprofen may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Alcohol may intensify these effects and increase the risk of accidental injury. Use of alcohol during ibuprofen therapy increases the risk of stomach irritation and bleeding. People taking ibuprofen should avoid alcohol.

The main reason you shouldn't take advil with alcohol is that both are bad for your stomach. I've never heard of anyone dying of liver poisoning because of Advil. All drugs, obviously, have some kind of effect on the liver, it's just that tylenol is especially hard on it compared to most other drugs.

Back