Waste

I lost a good friend to liver failure. A drinker that took lots of tylenol for hangovers.

Thorn,
How is Naproxin ? I take 500 mg daily, along with lortab 7.5/500 or two. I have blood workups every 6 mos. And after 8 years still ok it seems.

Sorry about your friend, usc. It's all too common for people to discount the dangers of OTC remedies just because they aren't regulated by prescription.

Your intake seems to be well regulated and you're being monitored as well. You should be fine.

Both ibuprofen and acetaminophen act on glutathione, but acetaminophen does to a far greater extent, to the point where a single overdose can be life-threatening. WM, I didn't say that ibuprofen was safe, just that a single overdose probably won't be life-threatening. Its dangers seem to lie in longterm overuse, and like anything else taken orally, this affects the liver and kidneys. This drug also carries dangers of intestinal bleeding and cardiovascular shutdown, in extreme cases.

It seems that ibuprofen and aspirin may work directly on pain receptors, but acetaminophen is a dissociative. So is morphine, but tylenol has no addictive potential. Now I don't want anyone trying this as it might be unique to me, but coupling tylenol with sudafed (I think that's the other active ingredient in Dayquil) had some consequences for me that were funny to everyone else -- but not really to me at the time. I almost never take anything, but one day I was coming down with quite a cold and was in the runny nose stage. We had a lab meeting I didn't want to miss, so decided to control the symptoms with Dayquil. I took it to work just in case it affected me so that my driving might suffer. Just before the lab meeting I measured out a dose and swallowed it. A few minutes later I stood up to walk to the conference room and couldn't feel my feet! No kidding, there's a disorder (the name I forget) where your feet just kind of flop when you pick them up; I was like that all the way into the meeting. Never, never again! It didn't affect me otherwise, and did stop the sniffing, but so does Contac-D without the extras.

I lost a good friend to liver failure. A drinker that took lots of tylenol for hangovers.

Thorn,
How is Naproxin ? I take 500 mg daily, along with lortab 7.5/500 or two. I have blood workups every 6 mos. And after 8 years still ok it seems.

Jesus, I do that alot. But I'm only 31. I'll stop at 40, and that'll be that.

Sudafed has acetiminaphen in it.

Tylenol has acetiminaphen in it. You took too much, but I don't see that making you unable to feel your feet.

"Both ibuprofen and acetaminophen act on glutathione, but acetaminophen does to a far greater extent, to the point where a single overdose can be life-threatening. WM, I didn't say that ibuprofen was safe, just that a single overdose probably won't be life-threatening. Its dangers seem to lie in longterm overuse, and like anything else taken orally, this affects the liver and kidneys. This drug also carries dangers of intestinal bleeding and cardiovascular shutdown, in extreme cases."

Ibuprofen is safe, just like everything else taken rightly. Taking it with alcohol won't hurt your liver, it affects the stomach.

Most liver failure is from alcohol. It's difficult to take enough acetiminphen to cause liver failure all on its lonesome without trying to commit suicide. If it were we'd be seeing a hell of a lot more deaths than we are seeing now - check your lables, acetiminaphen is in just about everything. People very often take much more than the recommend dosage of 1000 MG.

he drank beer daily and sometime bourbon or gin. They thlenol was pretty much daily as well. don't think he took many prescription pills.

Most liver failure is from alcohol.
Not any more! The data I described above came from studies published in peer-reviewed medical/scientific journals this year. Here's just one example:

1: Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2007 Jul;6(4):341-55. Links
Acetaminophen safety and hepatotoxicity - where do we go from here?Amar PJ, Schiff ER.
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Division of Hepatology, 1500 NW 12 Avenue, Suite 1101 East Tower, Miami, Florida 33136, USA.

Acetaminophen has been widely used for > 50 years in the treatment of pain and fever and provides for the safe and effective relief of these symptoms. In a small minority of patients, however, acetaminophen is responsible for life-threatening liver injury and accounts for up to 50% of all adult cases of acute liver failure in the US. Although approximately two-thirds of adult overdoses are associated with suicide attempts, many are inadvertent, often due to the use of multiple acetaminophen formulations over many days. Additionally, some individuals appear to experience acetaminophen toxicity at 'therapeutic' doses of < 4 g/day, for reasons unknown. In pediatric populations, the overwhelming majority of acetaminophen overdoses are due to unintentional overdoses, except for the predominance of suicidal ingestions in the teenage population. This article seeks to review the mechanism and metabolism of acetaminophen and the features of toxicity in adults, pediatric and special populations. Additionally, expert opinion is presented herein to aid in reducing the frequency and severity of liver injury from acetaminophen.

It's difficult to take enough acetiminphen to cause liver failure all on its lonesome without trying to commit suicide. If it were we'd be seeing a hell of a lot more deaths than we are seeing now - check your lables, acetiminaphen is in just about everything. People very often take much more than the recommend dosage of 1000 MG.

See above.

I'll PM you the link to the NIH/NLM site, along with the terms and limits I used to conduct the search. I limited it to pubs in just the past five years because the number of pubs was just overwhelming.

As we discussed at an earlier time, everything you take orally is processed by your liver. As some of the studies involving ibuprofen have shown, acute (one-time) ingestion of even a large quantity of ibuprofen does not appear to produce lasting liver damage; however, overuse over time will do so. If this is combined with alcohol the damage can be devastating. On the other hand, ibuprofen can cause intestinal bleeding independent of any effects on the liver. It's not an either/or situation; pharmacologic effects rarely, if ever, are.

Your liver functions to deal with everything that enters your digestive tract, but even its abundant enzymes are finite. When these are used to their limit, or when demand exceeds availability, especially repeatedly, then damage can and will occur, both at the level of the liver and in other organs that otherwise would have been protected by normal liver metabolism.

Serious question. When I go out drinking I have to take two or three advil or ibpurofen before bed or I have no chance of functioning the next day. I can't imagine combining the two is good for the body.

Can it do long term damage to your knowledge?
Alcohol and any medication is probably a bad idea. Do NOT mix Advil and Tylenol. Drink lots of water before bed - nothing ridiculous like a gallon, but a liter would probably do it.

The main reason you shouldn't take advil with alcohol is that both are bad for your stomach. I've never heard of anyone dying of liver poisoning because of Advil. All drugs, obviously, have some kind of effect on the liver, it's just that tylenol is especially hard on it compared to most other drugs.
I have to take Advil with milk, otherwise it KILLS my stomach.

Yeah same with my Naproxin, but it is not as bad on my stomach as advil.

Well, usc, I learned today, during that search, that the newer approach to treatment is just what you're taking; that the lortab gives pain relief that supplements those of your other meds. Because they're drugs of different classes and act differently, the combination protects you from the really nasty side effects of larger doses of either alone.

The semiannual blood tests will include readings of your liver enzymes, especially bilirubin, and of urea, which is an indication of effects on your intestines. This is a way of protecting you and making sure that your meds aren't causing you harm.

Back