Watermark conquers transdoor breezeway (the porch)

Rome was sort of a big deal. There's lot's of history on Rome. You can maybe find a lot of history on Greece as well, but I doubt you're going to do well with the Ottoman's or any non-western culture.

Rome was sort of a big deal. There's lot's of history on Rome. You can maybe find a lot of history on Greece as well, but I doubt you're going to do well with the Ottoman's or any non-western culture.

A man can dream. But yes, Rome was a big fucking deal.

For the past few weeks, as I have been going in and out of my house, I have noticed a wasps nest on the ceiling of the entrance to the house. Naturally, I ran by it in a terrified manner (but a dignified, terrified manner, if you understand me). I'm honestly not sure if they were stinging wasps or not, because they never actually went after me. But that didn't stop them from scaring the shit out of me. So, today I decided to take the plunge. I prepared by buying some wasp poison and beer. After around 3 beers, I was finally drunk enough to take them on. However, I needed to prepare. So I put on a thick coat with a hood, which I tucked into my jeans, and then I tucked the jeans into my shoes.

I also put on some gloves, and even tried to put saran wrap over the hood until I realized that the air intake through the hood was not nearly enough to replace that lost by covering my face with saran wrap and reluctantly decided against this. So, I opened the door, crouched down, and aimed at the wasp nest. Then, I decided that I had better test out how fast I could possibly close the door before actually going at the wasps, and did this a few times, discovering that, in fact, I could jump up and close it quite fast. So, I squatted and reaimd, and uncertainly, drunkenly fired. The stream hit the wasps, who really didn't even respond or go after me, and just mostly fell dead instantly. I could only keep this up for about 2 second before jumping up, closing the door, and running away.

Thus, the conquest is complete. Those vanquished bow before me, and the lamentations of their women are pleasing to my ears.

800px-Siege-alesia-vercingetorix-jules-cesar.jpg

When I read the thread title, on the forums page, I misread it, thought it said "Watermark conquers trapdoor", and figured that you had finally figured out how to open the back of your long johns. :D

You do realize that you could have waited until nightfall and then sprayed them, without worrying about being stung. :palm:

Forgot to add that is they were paper wasps or mud wasps, either being a high possibility, and you didn't knock down the nest; you are probably going to have more in the same spot, tomorrow.
This is because they don't all make it back to the nest by nightfall and if the nest is still there, they will restart the colony.

The bottle and most advice i read on the internet said to do it at around dusk, which is supposed to be the time when they're least active and when most of them were in the next. There were a great deal in the nest, and they really never even made moves to attack me. I didn't even see any of them fly off, besides those who dropped dead.

When I read the thread title, on the forums page, I misread it, thought it said "Watermark conquers trapdoor", and figured that you had finally figured out how to open the back of your long johns. :D

You do realize that you could have waited until nightfall and then sprayed them, without worrying about being stung. :palm:

Forgot to add that is they were paper wasps or mud wasps, either being a high possibility, and you didn't knock down the nest; you are probably going to have more in the same spot, tomorrow.
This is because they don't all make it back to the nest by nightfall and if the nest is still there, they will restart the colony.

Well; you'll know tomorrow, if there are none left.

Bees are cool. They pollinate all the plants, make honey and all that stuff. But I hate bees and wasps. I was stung a lot as a child. can't stand them. I have no problem catching venomous snakes, training dogs ect ect. But I hate bees and wasps.

How do you know they pollinate ALL the plants?

For the past few weeks, as I have been going in and out of my house, I have noticed a wasps nest on the ceiling of the entrance to the house. Naturally, I ran by it in a terrified manner (but a dignified, terrified manner, if you understand me). I'm honestly not sure if they were stinging wasps or not, because they never actually went after me. But that didn't stop them from scaring the shit out of me. So, today I decided to take the plunge. I prepared by buying some wasp poison and beer. After around 3 beers, I was finally drunk enough to take them on. However, I needed to prepare. So I put on a thick coat with a hood, which I tucked into my jeans, and then I tucked the jeans into my shoes.

I also put on some gloves, and even tried to put saran wrap over the hood until I realized that the air intake through the hood was not nearly enough to replace that lost by covering my face with saran wrap and reluctantly decided against this. So, I opened the door, crouched down, and aimed at the wasp nest. Then, I decided that I had better test out how fast I could possibly close the door before actually going at the wasps, and did this a few times, discovering that, in fact, I could jump up and close it quite fast. So, I squatted and reaimd, and uncertainly, drunkenly fired. The stream hit the wasps, who really didn't even respond or go after me, and just mostly fell dead instantly. I could only keep this up for about 2 second before jumping up, closing the door, and running away.

Thus, the conquest is complete. Those vanquished bow before me, and the lamentations of their women are pleasing to my ears.

I love the painting of Vircingoterix surrendering to Caesar.

Good lord you pussy! By the way. The wasp spray is non-toxic. It kills the wasp by freezing them. When I was a project manager in the Carolinas I had to deal with wasp nests on drums all the time. Did that for five years and never got stung once.

Man, I looked at Mike Duncan's bibliography, and he is well read. So, I've decided to download all of the "History of Rome", and listen to yet another lecture on Roman history, this time about twice as long as everything I've listened to yet.

Have you entirely finished it, BTW?
I would also suggest reading Colleen McCoulloughs "Masters of Rome" series. Incredibly well written.

i stopped around the crisis of the third century. I've been meaning to pick it up again, but I already have so many other podcasts I just haven't gotten around to it.

Mike duncans podcast is definitely great, and gives a good overview. Though he starts out a bit rusty. So try to stick with it for a little if you are starting from the beginning. I would say by the time he gets to around the punic wars (or maybe a bit before that) is when he really finds his voice and falls into a good groove.

I would also recommend dan carlins hardcore history episodes titled "Death throes of the republic"
I've read several of Carlins books. Not even close to as good as McCoulloughs.

Anyway, Mike Duncan has seriously read just about every book ever written about ancient Rome in ancient times, from Livy to Caesar to Tacitus to that fucker who wrote The Augustan History to that last history written before the fall of the western empire, Ammianus Marcellinus (there was like one more ancient history written during the Justinians reign, and then the field of history pretty much evaporated for a long time). He also supplemented it with a great deal of modern reading about the subject, such as Edward Gibbons. Of course, now that I think about it, this is probably basically a basic prerequisite to giving a lecture on the subject. One day, however, I'm going to read all of this.
I've tried reading Gibbons. It's a terrific struggle. He writes in the god awful Victorian style.

Back