Weird what's going on with my PC

I got this thing last summer for about $300 new at Best Buy. It's doing other weird things too. I'll click on a link and another tab opens with irrelevant crap on it, I have to close the tab and the link I wanted is in the other tab.
Wish I had spent the money and bought a mac. I don't need windows at home.

It sounds like you have a Trojan. Download Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything also Spyware Blaster and Belarc advisor are good also. I use Norton internet security to protect my computer as well.

Fixed it.
I simply uninstalled Firefox. Doesn't happen with Edge or Chrome.
That was easy (and a waste of 2 hrs.)
When I have more time I'll reinstall Firefox and see if problem still exists.

If you're picking up viruses, you need better security software. What are you running?

To see if its some infection you have picked up while "browsing" the web......simply remove all your online history and REBOOT your machine to the factory original specs. If you still have the same problem then you purchased the problem in your drivers. If you are using Windows 10....the only browser that works as designed is "EDGE".....if you choose to use another browser you do so at your own risk. Its simpler to use Edge than it is to chase viruses and malware time and time again. Why EDGE for 10? Its all about the data mining. In essence you are forced to use the Factory installed browser....or pay the consequences....pay for the software to delete the back door viruses by running a scan every week or so. The Fixit Stick does a great job because the scanning takes place in the cloud...its an external fix...but then again you are "trusting" an industry that makes its living by gaining access to your personal data and using it, some legit for advertising....some to sell on the black web. Its a hell of a world when you enter CYPER SPACE....cavet emptor.

That's a bunch of hooey. You can easily use other browsers with Windows 10 without any more risk of malware than any other time. Don't be silly.

If you're picking up viruses, you need better security software. What are you running?

Defender. I'm pretty computer illiterate and those McAfee and Norton pop ups not only annoy the hell out of me but I wonder if it's some kind of scam so I just stayed with Defender which comes with Windows 10 I believe.

I downloaded a new browser called Brave but haven't had much time to play with it enough to decide what I think of it, but it came highly recommended.
I am using it at the moment on my smartphone, it works well enough but the user interface is rather baffling.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have a Trojan. Download Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything also Spyware Blaster and Belarc advisor are good also. I use Norton internet security to protect my computer as well.
He has used Malware Bytes already.

Defender. I'm pretty computer illiterate and those McAfee and Norton pop ups not only annoy the hell out of me but I wonder if it's some kind of scam so I just stayed with Defender which comes with Windows 10 I believe.
Defender is good enough but you might want to download the free edition of Avast or AVG as well. Malwarebytes is great for ransomware but it's not really meant to be an antivirus package.

Oh well I tried to help. :(

Malware, adware, and some software installers just love changing your browser settings, giving you new home pages, default search engines, and horrible toolbars. It's easy to forget to uncheck these options while installing software.

Malware, adware, and some software installers just love changing your browser settings, giving you new home pages, default search engines, and horrible toolbars. It's easy to forget to uncheck these options while installing software.

Tell me about it. I don't know haw many times I have installed a program only to find my browser was switched to Chrome which I hate. I now read every thing before continuing. Witsh I could get my bride to do that. I have to clean up her machine every couple of months because she has downloaded crap she didn't want.

I got this thing last summer for about $300 new at Best Buy. It's doing other weird things too. I'll click on a link and another tab opens with irrelevant crap on it, I have to close the tab and the link I wanted is in the other tab.
Wish I had spent the money and bought a mac. I don't need windows at home.

You have multi viruses

Defender is good enough but you might want to download the free edition of Avast or AVG as well. Malwarebytes is great for ransomware but it's not really meant to be an antivirus package.

Is it bad to have two different securities running at the same time?

I've always had good luck with Malwarebytes just use the free version

Tried that, didn't work. I think uninstalling firefox was the trick though. Not having trouble with other browsers. Wish I could figure out how to get rid of the bug though. It may come back to haunt me.

Tried that, didn't work. I think uninstalling firefox was the trick though. Not having trouble with other browsers. Wish I could figure out how to get rid of the bug though. It may come back to haunt me.

Do you have Windows 10 and make sure you don't use the Kaspersky malware

Back