What are some of your favorite epic rock and roll songs?

Tis a business as they say...

Beatles never made much blues, although they did love Muddy or his celeb anyway. Stones were much more bluesy..

Ironically both bands copied American music, rather poorly before they were able to leave it behind & get out on their own side of the road..

That's kind of the Beauty of Rock, Rock is based on 1-4-5 melodic Blues Progressions. The Beatles had tons of those.

"Yer Blues" was an upright total Blues arrangement where George even mentions Elmore James in the song.

But, I could just as easily hear B.B. King play "Something" and it would probably come out sounding a little more Bluesy!

That's kind of the Beauty of Rock, Rock is based on 1-4-5 melodic Blues Progressions. The Beatles had tons of those.

"Yer Blues" was an upright total Blues arrangement where George even mentions Elmore James in the song.

But, I could just as easily hear B.B. King play "Something" and it would probably come out sounding a little more Bluesy!

I could be wrong but I think the Beatles stuck closer to what they called back then the mersey beat.. I dunno if that was what they wanted to do or their producer Epstein wanted/thought would be the most popular.......
~ the blues had a baby & they named it rock n roll........

Terry Jacks -Season in the Sun
Smooth Up In Ya -Bulletboyz
My name is Luka
Big Bottom-Spinal Tap
My Shirona played all summer long
Anything by the Grateful dead while not stoned
Freebird off the dbl live album with the redundant triplet licks for 20 hours
Any of 50 exploitative country songs cashing in on patriotism with a twangy baritone

Saw them at Merriweather Post and Cap center. Where is cosmic rocker?

Sadly our dear friend sold his mojo for a bag of manic beans
CeOaPqHXIAAJJdc.jpg

Loved this song since the first time hearing it

My favorites include "Stairway to Heaven", "In My Time of Dying", and "Kashmir", by Led Zeppelin, "Free Bird", by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", by Elton John, and the full version of "Roundabout" and "Close To The Edge", by Yes.

I’ll take this a little further than you intended. My favorite epic rock and roll songs are epic in the traditional sense. The lyrics and music tell an epic story. Therefore, my favorites are;

Rush - 2112
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Welcome to the Show.
Meatloaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Lights.

I’ll take this a little further than you intended. My favorite epic rock and roll songs are epic in the traditional sense. The lyrics and music tell an epic story. Therefore, my favorites are;

Rush - 2112

Nice post, Mott. Thanks. I've actually sung "Paradise By The Dashboard Lights" a few times for karaoke. Twice, the women singing with me sucked, because they weren't that familiar with the song. The other time, the woman REALLY knew the song, and it was a blast! I never saw her again after that night, but boy, could she sing!

Rush - 2112

Hey, Mott, would you consider the song, "The Ballad of Mott the Hoople", BY Mott the Hoople, to be an epic song? I would.

Rush - 2112
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Welcome to the Show

That is surprising. I had the LP back in the day...

While this group was known for several other songs, this was always my favorite, w/ the most meaning

Back