What Book are you currently Reading?

"Atlas Shrugged" Ayn Rand

(in tribute to the government's bail out of subprime loans)

"Atlas Shrugged" was great! I've also read most of her other novels; "We the Living", her first, apparently was autobiographical. She was an escapee from the Bosheviks during the Russian Revolution and it's partly about that experience.

Many people have difficulty reading a book with an opinion they find almost perfectly opposite to their own. It is one reason you see so many upset about movies with political teaching mixed in.

I've even heard some of the libertarians on Fullpolitics say that Ayn Rand is a horrible writer. At least, her fiction - like Atlas Shrugged.

I read one of Rush Limbuagh's books, for kicks. I didn't pay for it, mind you. It was a hand me down.

Many people have difficulty reading a book with an opinion they find almost perfectly opposite to their own. It is one reason you see so many upset about movies with political teaching mixed in.
In place of "many" I'd use "almost all" . . . and the "almost" would be almost purely pro forma. ;)

OTOH, in reference to Atlas Shrugged, I have to say that it is a bad piece of writing. I read it when I was an active member of the LP, back in 1979 or so, and I still ended up going "uhm, yeah, guys: I thought it was really . . . interesting." By "interesting" I meant interminable, pretentious, bloated, boring, populated with outrageously unbelievable cardboard cutout characters and about as subtle as an AK-47 at a game of jacks.

"The No-nonsense Landlord" by Jorgenson.

Next in line - "Foreclosure Practice in Georgia" by Frank Alexander.

I didn't put down "Atlas Shrugged" simply because some of the ideology presented were in contradiction to how I think, the book was simply a terrible piece of writing.

One of the first things you are taught when it comes to fiction is that your "hero" needs to have some flaws. A "perfect" hero is boring, and disallows any suspension of disbelief.

In place of "many" I'd use "almost all" . . . and the "almost" would be almost purely pro forma. ;)

OTOH, in reference to Atlas Shrugged, I have to say that it is a bad piece of writing. I read it when I was an active member of the LP, back in 1979 or so, and I still ended up going "uhm, yeah, guys: I thought it was really . . . interesting." By "interesting" I meant interminable, pretentious, bloated, boring, populated with outrageously unbelievable cardboard cutout characters and about as subtle as an AK-47 at a game of jacks.

I would have to agree on Atlas shrugged, the symbolism - or whatever it was she was trying to accomplish through her characters was also pretty cheesy. I didn't finish it either. Wow, what a load off. I've never admitted that before. :D

Right now, I'm reading "Cat's Eye" written by Margret Atwood. Another book about a confused/depressed/married woman with low self-esteem stemming from her childhood, and stuff. More feminist gobblygook from hers truely. :D

At work, I'm reading Jane Doe, another feminist story, although a bit better. Jane Doe takes on Toronto police dept, sues, forces ground breaking changes within the legal system and police dept for rape victims, etc, etc. Are you sensing a theme? Hey, all on for $1. :D

Last edited:

I honestly don't think that she wrote it solely as a fiction book. I'd use an example like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...except he did a better job. I read it more like a philosophy text and was able to make it through without too much trouble. I didn't read it like I do most fiction, pretty much a straight through thing.

Little pieces at a time.

I wouldn't call it a great work of art. But it was a brute force trauma kind of symbolism that made it slightly more bearable than some of my textbooks I had to read.

I honestly don't think that she wrote it solely as a fiction book. I'd use an example like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...except he did a better job. I read it more like a philosophy text and was able to make it through without too much trouble. I didn't read it like I do most fiction, pretty much a straight through thing.

Little pieces at a time.

I wouldn't call it a great work of art. But it was a brute force trauma kind of symbolism that made it slightly more bearable than some of my textbooks I had to read.

I agree, much like reading the Bible in places, I would find myself doing the head nod. I couldn't bring myself to read Zen or Motorcycle.

Back