What Book are you currently Reading?

I honestly don't think that she wrote it solely as a fiction book. I'd use an example like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...except he did a better job. I read it more like a philosophy text and was able to make it through without too much trouble. I didn't read it like I do most fiction, pretty much a straight through thing.

Little pieces at a time.

I wouldn't call it a great work of art. But it was a brute force trauma kind of symbolism that made it slightly more bearable than some of my textbooks I had to read.

All her work was like that. I found it interesting, though, reading it in the context of her personal history and how those views, however emphatic and rudely formed, contrasted with the philosophies of the emerging society that she had escaped.

Dixie published an autobiography?

no, seriously, that's a book by a russian author, isn't it? Dosteyevsty, Tolstoy, or one of those guys?

ROFL!

Dostoevsky, yes. You expect a lot of these classics to be stiff and boring, but it ends up that many of them are classics for a reason. It's actually very moving, and also very funny in parts. I'm enjoying it.

ROFL!

Dostoevsky, yes. You expect a lot of these classics to be stiff and boring, but it ends up that many of them are classics for a reason. It's actually very moving, and also very funny in parts. I'm enjoying it.

I'm not suprised. I think I might have told you that I'm half-russian. We're a very passionate and interesting people ;)

I've found Russian authors often to be disjointed, they have a different philosophy in character development that often leaves me longing for a personality rather than a change...

I've found Russian authors often to be disjointed, they have a different philosophy in character development that often leaves me longing for a personality rather than a change...

This from someone who finds Ayn Rand readable! :)

Have you tried Dostoevsky or Chekhov? Some of Chekhov's short stories are really good.

Have you tried Dostoevsky or Chekhov? Some of Chekhov's short stories are really good.
I've read Dostoevsky in the original Russian.

I said I read Ayn Rand like a textbook, not that it was great literature. I think you mistake my meaning.

Russian character development often revolves around the plot rather than the characters fitting into a plot. The characters reactions will change from one "scene" to the next making them seem out of place to me.

Russian short stories do not make this evident, but they are evident in most of the novels that I read.

LOL.

Spot on. Ayn Rand is russian. She got you there Damo.

And Damo - a word of warning. Don't 'diss my heritage. Russains have produced some of the worlds greatests writers, artists, and composers. Don't make me beat you up. ;)

I've read Dostoevsky in the original Russian.

I said I read Ayn Rand like a textbook, not that it was great literature. I think you mistake my meaning.

Russian character development often revolves around the plot rather than the characters fitting into a plot. The characters reactions will change from one "scene" to the next making them seem out of place to me.

Russian short stories do not make this evident, but they are evident in most of the novels that I read.

You've read Dostoevsky in the original Russian? What a show-off.

I understand what you're saying in your second paragraph, but I don't find that off-putting.

You've read Dostoevsky in the original Russian? What a show-off.

I understand what you're saying in your second paragraph, but I don't find that off-putting.
Many don't. Like jazz I find it screeches against my Engineer's soul.

I read it in class in the Navy where I was taught Russian. I'm not bragging, it was my job.

Many don't. Like jazz I find it screeches against my Engineer's soul.

I read it in class in the Navy where I was taught Russian. I'm not bragging, it was my job.

It's impressive nonetheless. I wish I could say I had read him in the original Russian.

LOL.

Spot on. Ayn Rand is russian. She got you there Damo.

And Damo - a word of warning. Don't 'diss my heritage. Russains have produced some of the worlds greatests writers, artists, and composers. Don't make me beat you up. ;)

Don't forget about the Vodka. I'm sure Darla could attest to that.

Back