What Song Are You Listening To, Right Now?

I haven't listened to music much lately, but today I was in the mood.

I listened to Eric Clapton's great collaborations with Wynton Marsalis and Dr. John.

I listened to some Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

I listed to the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and the New Orleans Jazz Vipers.

I caught Beth Hart's A Change Is Gonna Come, and then Melissa Ethridge's amazing Kenndy Center cover of the Boss on Born to Run.

Some Aretha and Etta James, too.

I even listened to some Blues Brothers and Commitments.

I spent several hours just enjoying some of my favorite records.

Next time, I may do a Sinatra marathon. I really enjoy those as well.

And maybe 50s Doo Wop after that.

As long as I don't abuse my ears with anything contemporary.

That puts me in a quiet mood for a long, long time.

You and I are quite different, and I am very different from almost anyone who posts in this thread.
You have to be in the mood and most of what you list is fairly conventional fare from the 50's to the 70's.

Me? I am at best eclectic and have what can only be described as unusual tastes. I like to play long sets of songs while doing stuff online. These typically run an hour or more at a shot. Some are infinite.

As to the music, it runs a wide gambit from 60's classics to contemporary, if not as widely listened to, stuff like progressive and vocal trance, dubstep, EDM, and the like. I've always been like that. Before alternative rock was popular I was listening. I've always looked for songs that spoke to me or had interesting and complex music in them. Trance and EDM are great because they can go for hours without repetition and the good mixers / DJ's make some really interesting stuff.

To each his own, I guess.

This is vocal trance from Europe for example:

That's interesting and somewhat novel for me--an interesting tangent, but I like real, organic instruments like trumpets, saxophones, and pianos much more than electronic music.
The latter didn't exist when I was young.

And you're right, I have to be in the mood. I never listen to music in the background while I'm doing something else...even driving.
If I'm driving, I'm listening either to the ball game or MSNBC on Sirius. Usually, however, nothing at all.

If I listen to music, listening to the music is my primary activity.

But that's the beauty of music. There's something for almost everybody.

That's interesting and somewhat novel for me--an interesting tangent, but I like real, organic instruments like trumpets, saxophones, and pianos much more than electronic music.
The latter didn't exist when I was young.

And you're right, I have to be in the mood. I never listen to music in the background while I'm doing something else...even driving.
If I'm driving, I'm listening either to the ball game or MSNBC on Sirius. Usually, however, nothing at all.

If I listen to music, listening to the music is my primary activity.

But that's the beauty of music. There's something for almost everybody.

I can enjoy both.

Back