What the hell is the matter with you people?

IHG, super is ok, no problems there . And yes Dix is leaning a bit more left, but still has his head up his butt ;)
I think that would be the case no matter which way he leaned though.

You appear to have mellowed a bit as well...

Dixie is leaning more to the left?

What did his first name used to be...it wasn't Benito by any chance, was it?

Very true USC. I have learned much over the years. It is for me lifes greatest joy to become more than you were.

Yeah...I'll tell you the truth, for me it's orgasms.

I don't know if you've seen my thesis about birth control pills and orgasm intensity...well, we all have our ways of growing.

Anyway, it's good to see you posting!

It is true. I'm not sure if you were on politics.com but Dixie JPP version is more moderate (and for a conservative that would be moving leftward) than poli.com version.

Seems liberal memes are nipping at him.

We take a risk by entering these boards by having unfamiliar memes lobbed at us.

:)

Darla have you gone multiple yet. Last this topic came up it seemed you weren't.

That and the ability to give life is what I envy most in women.

It doesn't work for men unfortunately. I only could do it once and I don't know how. Weirdest thing.

Oh btw thanks for the kind words the other day Darla.

Yeah, AssHat's quite the case. Case of what we haven't quite diagnosed yet. A lot of his politics seem to come right out of the 1930s. Spain and Italy, or thereabouts, I'd say. ;)
Hey tough guy, it's simply called "not being willing to harm america's people based on anti-american globalist fascist lies". Can you think of something less wordy?

did you know that our orders mean nothing to china, because 100% of the people are already slaves? That's what dixie says. Isn't that dumber than shit?

Last edited:
On that I would disagree. Words are powerful things and the intent behind them matters even more than the consequences of their use. Concentrating on effect encourages self censorship which may not be necessary.

I haven't been around though so maybe your allusion to this with super is more nuanced.
Yes and no.

The effect of language is all. Intent is meaningless, except to the mystically inclined: it's a big deal if you're concerned about the state of the speaker's soul, I suppose.

I meant that quite literally.

The whole craft of writing, as well at those of oratorary and even debate, constitutes composing one's words such that one is understood clearly. If I, as a writer or speaker, am misunderstood, that is my fault, almost by definition.

There are mitigating circumstances, of course, as when the audience includes idiots. :)

If one uses a term to mean one thing but the audience will, almost universally, take it to mean something else, at best one should avoid the term. "Human life" is like that. If one uses it strictly literally then it means simply living cells of species Homo sapiens sapien. Cut off my big toe and it's still human life, until it dies. A sperm cell or ovum is human life. Colloquially, however, almost no one uses it literally.

In vernacular useage, "human life" means a person. An indpendent personality. A sophont. An animal possessed of a soul, in the Christian sense. Doesn't matter if you intend it that way or not, that's the way it will be interpreted.

Yes and no.

The effect of language is all. Intent is meaningless, except to the mystically inclined: it's a big deal if you're concerned about the state of the speaker's soul, I suppose.

I meant that quite literally.

The whole craft of writing, as well at those of oratorary and even debate, constitutes composing one's words such that one is understood clearly.
That's means "your intention" is understood. Clarity is the effective transmission of your INTENDED message. So intent isn't really meaningless, now is it?

That's means "your intention" is understood. Clarity is the effective transmission of your INTENDED message. So intent isn't really meaningless, now is it?
That's sophistry. Intent is important only in the sense that the informational content -- the semantic value -- of the communication is the result of intent. Or so we hope, anyway. Intent cuts no mustard at all, however, if you phrase your
your statements in such a way that your meaning -- or your intent, if you prefer -- isn't transmitted to your audience.

Intent in the sense of meaning is important, but only if the meaning is communicated successfully. Otherwise, it's just empty emotion.

That's sophistry. Intent is important only in the sense that the informational content -- the semantic value -- of the communication is the result of intent. .

Yeah. ONLY in that sense. :rolleyes:

And in the sense that communication is successful if your intended message is received. Intent still seems crucial to me.

I think what you mean is "Regardless of intent, the message received may be different than that, if the language is not effective". That's what you intended.

Last edited:
Yeah. ONLY in that sense. :rolleyes:

And in the sense that communication is successful if your intended message it's received. Intent still seems crucial to me.

I think what you mean is "Regardless of intent, the message received may be different than that, if the language is not effective". That's what you intended.
Yes, and when the message is not received correctly then the fault lies with the transmitter, not the receiver.

Language is an art. In fact it is the root of all art. It's purpose is to communicate meaning, including empathetic meaning. If you fail to communicate your meaning correctly, best look to your phraseology. Once the communiction has taken place the original intent of the speaker is of no consequence: what matters is the message received.

Yes, and when the message is not received correctly then the fault lies with the transmitter, not the receiver.

Language is an art. In fact it is the root of all art. It's purpose is to communicate meaning, including empathetic meaning. If you fail to communicate your meaning correctly, best look to your phraseology. Once the communiction has taken place the original intent of the speaker is of no consequence: what matters is the message received.

Of no consequence to whom? I firmly believe most speakers still care whether or not their intended message was transmitted, even after they shut up. Usually when they see it's not been taken correctly, they seek to correct the problem with further communication. Hence, intent is still the driving force of all interaction.

And yes Dix is leaning a bit more left

Not really, I am the same as I've always been. One problem most of you have is perception. You assume that my points and arguments are always a perfect reflection of who I am in real life, and that isn't always so. In every one of those Libertarian online tests to see if you'd make a good Libertarian... I score somewhat in the middle on both social and economic issues. I know some right-wing extremists, and believe me, I am not one of them. It's also interesting to note, the overwhelming majority of close friends, who I spend a great deal of time with, are more left wing than Darla. It's true! I can't explain it, but that's the case, we just avoid political discussions. My best female friend is always trying to tell me about the evils of Bush/Cheney and how the war is for oil, blah blah... I just stick my fingers in my ears and say...Imnotlistening,Imnotlistening,Imnotlistening! Pisses her off too! But we are still best of friends and I love her to death, even though she is more pinheaded that anyone here, except mayyybe Desh!

I think my viewpoints are pretty mainstream, and I know some of you will get a laugh out of that, but often times, I will argue a point from a common sense approach, for the sake of argument and nothing more. I come off as 'extreme' because you have fostered a perception of me and I have an image to maintain here, and it doesn't bother me for people to label me. I stand on principles big time, and I don't back down from my views or cave in. I'll tell you the truth whether it's PC or not, and I really don't care whether you like me or agree with me when I do. That's just me. I would say that 95% of you, if you were to meet me in person and hang out for a while, you wouldn't believe I was the same person you know here.

Of no consequence to whom? I firmly believe most speakers still care whether or not their intended message was transmitted, even after they shut up. Usually when they see it's not been taken correctly, they seek to correct the problem with further communication. Hence, intent is still the driving force of all interaction.
Of no consequence to the audience. The speaker is immaterial here. The speaker already knows -- or thinks he knows -- whatever he was trying to say.

Lest we forget, the whole purpose was to transmit the perception -- or the intent if you insist -- of the speaker to an audience. If the speaker didn't care whether his or her message was interpreted correctly then he or she wouldn't have said anything. The intent of the speaker is, by definition, to be understood. The burden of making himself or herself understood lies with the speaker, always.

Intent without successful communication is just intellectual masturbation. Or Platonism, which is pretty much the same thing.

And yes Dix is leaning a bit more left

Not really, I am the same as I've always been. One problem most of you have is perception. You assume that my points and arguments are always a perfect reflection of who I am in real life, and that isn't always so. In every one of those Libertarian online tests to see if you'd make a good Libertarian... I score somewhat in the middle on both social and economic issues. I know some right-wing extremists, and believe me, I am not one of them. It's also interesting to note, the overwhelming majority of close friends, who I spend a great deal of time with, are more left wing than Darla. It's true! I can't explain it, but that's the case, we just avoid political discussions. My best female friend is always trying to tell me about the evils of Bush/Cheney and how the war is for oil, blah blah... I just stick my fingers in my ears and say...Imnotlistening,Imnotlistening,Imnotlistening! Pisses her off too! But we are still best of friends and I love her to death, even though she is more pinheaded that anyone here, except mayyybe Desh!

I think my viewpoints are pretty mainstream, and I know some of you will get a laugh out of that, but often times, I will argue a point from a common sense approach, for the sake of argument and nothing more. I come off as 'extreme' because you have fostered a perception of me and I have an image to maintain here, and it doesn't bother me for people to label me. I stand on principles big time, and I don't back down from my views or cave in. I'll tell you the truth whether it's PC or not, and I really don't care whether you like me or agree with me when I do. That's just me. I would say that 95% of you, if you were to meet me in person and hang out for a while, you wouldn't believe I was the same person you know here.

And your main principle is "economic growth no matter who is destroyed".
Daughter doesn't want to be whore? tell her money justifies everything.... slave labor, destroying the borders, rendering a whole continent jobless. It just doesn't matter when money is involved, right, jesus-in-your-own-mind?

Back