Where do the mathematical laws of physics come from?

sorry, it does not......prior to the inception

Gonna stop you right there. The "inception of the universe" isn't really applicable to the point. Remember we are talking about why something went from not existing TO existing and if each of those components had to be "decreed" or if the laws of mathematics naturally fall out of the inherent relationship between things?

2 + 2 = 4 is true no matter what universe you are in.
As a matter of quantity, that was true ten billion years before humans existed.

The universe 'knew' it takes a trio of quarks to make a proton, a pair of quarks to make a pion, and four baryons to make helium-4, billions of years before humans invented the linguistic numerical conventions of 'two', 'three', or '1+1+1+1=4'.

It requires that the numbers, data, whatever be recorded truthfully by the observer, or it doesn't have any value as a law, or rule, or evidence. This makes morality the imperative before all else.

Totally disagree. I see no reason to assume the concept of quantities requires an observer.

RE Aquina's, he defines the first cause as 'God'. Asking 'but then where does God come from' isn't a refutation, it's a non-sequitur.

Not a non-sequitur since it most definitely follows from the point. It highlights the fact that "God" in this case gets "special pleading" and doesn't have to conform to the concept it is being used to explain.

But if the concept of a circle exists then there is no way that the ratio of C/D will ever be anything except Pi, regardless of which universe, regardless of anything.

It is a facile point to note that before the was anything there was nothing. But the reason I raised this is because @Cypress couldn't provide any examples of what his point entailed (as usual) so I threw one out for discussion. I note that it is impossible for any conception of reality to exist in which the ratio of C/D for a circle is pi. And it will always have the same value. There is "nothing to establish" or set.

The reason I kept simplifying the debate down to 1+1=2 is because it provides a mathematical model to explain what math actually IS vs how it is discovered vs how it came to be.

I claim that math merely describes relationships and is, effectively, in the business of defining when two things are equal. 1+1=2 really doesn't add any new information, it is effectively a tautology, IMHO.

I make the same claim about Pi

But, of course, @Cypress was not up for the debate because he didn't really know what his point was (he would never express it) and all he wanted to do was marvel at something he didn't know. That's fine. Everyone is free to enjoy what they enjoy. But it's weird that he comes on a DISCUSSION forum just to show everyone he has no clue how to "discuss" anything.
For once PMP is correct that pi is objectively true independent of human opinion, and was true billions of years ago because spatial dimension was created 13.7 billion years ago. Pi is an important constant in many laws of physics because of spatial dimensionality, and these laws will still be true billions of years after humans are gone.

The solar system always 'knew' that one planetoid added to one planetoid made up the binary system of Pluto-Charon, millions of years before humans started using the linguistic convention '1 + 1 = 2'.

Totally disagree. I see no reason to assume the concept of quantities requires an observer.

Not a non-sequitur since it most definitely follows from the point. It highlights the fact that "God" in this case gets "special pleading" and doesn't have to conform to the concept it is being used to explain.

There can only be first cause, no 'pre-first cause' in the Aquinas argument. The 'morality' I point to is the framework all physics and science must have to operate at all. It's the only way a priori knowledge of any kind will work in any context.

Last edited:
It doesn't really feel like you are following my point.
to me it seems your point falls short of common sense.....you for some reason think that there can be some form of relationship to our existing universe before it exists......if that thing which has a circumference and a diameter has not yet become a thing, the mathematical concept of pi is meaningless gibberish.......

For once PMP is correct that pi is objectively true independent of human opinion, and was true billions of years ago because spatial dimension was created 13.7 billion years ago. Pi is an important constant in many laws of physics because of spatial dimensionality, and these laws will still be true billions of years after humans are gone.

The solar system always 'knew' that one planetoid added to one planetoid made up the binary system of Pluto-Charon, millions of years before humans started using the linguistic convention '1 + 1 = 2'.

And that doesn't change anything about my point. Not one whit.

Oh, yeah, BTW, did you get me banned from the other thread? Just curious.

to me it seems your point falls short of common sense.....you for some reason think that there can be some form of relationship to our existing universe before it exists......if that thing which has a circumference and a diameter has not yet become a thing, the mathematical concept of pi is meaningless gibberish.......

I will try YET AGAIN to explain my point to you and this conversation in general:

We are not talking about BEFORE things existed. We are talking about WHEN THINGS START TO EXIST WAS IT NECESSARY FOR THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN C/D and Pi TO BE DECREED OR DEFINED? Do try to keep up.

There can only be first cause, no 'pre-first cause' in the Aquinas argument.

Yes, it's called "special pleading". When one creates an argument where the premise simply must be accepted because you said it did. That is not a solution to the critique.

The 'morality' I point to is the framework all physics and science must have to operate at all. It's the only way a priori knowledge of any kind will work in any context.

You still have not explained why an observer is required for a mathematical relationship to be true.

The universe 'knew' it takes a trio of quarks to make a proton, a pair of quarks to make a pion, and four baryons to make helium-4, billions of years before humans invented the linguistic numerical conventions of 'two', 'three', or '1+1+1+1=4'.

I think you are overextending the point. The question is did the universe 'know' if one of anything and one of anything were two of anything.

That's been my point all along: ARE YOU more interested in the value that physical constants take on OR are you interested in where the MATHEMATICAL FORM comes from?

Yes, it's called "special pleading". When one creates an argument where the premise simply must be accepted because you said it did. That is not a solution to the critique.

You still have not explained why an observer is required for a mathematical relationship to be true.

Obviously you know you're just lost and covering it up poorly. We can move on now to other topics until somebody offers something new and genuine.

Obviously you know you're just lost and covering it up poorly. We can move on now to other topics until somebody offers something new and genuine.

So you can't actually explain your position? That's too bad. Fair enough.

So you can't understand what I said? Okay. Fair enough.

I asked you a simple question about your position which you have so far been unable to answer. I will ask one more time but I know that you don't have an answer:

Why does a mathematical relationship like 1+1=2 require an OBSERVER?

I think you are overextending the point. The question is did the universe 'know' if one of anything and one of anything were two of anything.

That's been my point all along: ARE YOU more interested in the value that physical constants take on OR are you interested in where the MATHEMATICAL FORM comes from
No, what happened is you roared with laughter at my suggestion that mathematics is in some sense Platonic, aka it exists independently of human opinion, human experience, human memory.

You're free to believe ratio, quantity, topology, quantification did not exist until modern humans started working with the concepts.

That sounds really stupid to me.

I think ratio, quantity, topology existed billions of years before humans. It always took three quarks to make a neutron, and the quantifiable nature of gravity always existed.

The fact that the math we discover and derive so surprisingly describes reality to an extremely high level of precision is overwhelming evidence that math is part of the fabric of physical reality, not something our minds just invented.

No, what happened is you roared with laughter at my suggestion that mathematics is in some sense Platonic,

Bullshit. What I said was that I don't believed YOU had a clue what that concept even meant. You never explained it and you refuse to so I know I'm right.

You're free to believe ratio, quantity, topology,

Topology. There you go spouting off words to sound impressive. Try answering the question once for a change

Because you don't understand what I'm saying. You just want to insult me.

And I love how you are dodging the other question. You get me banned from your other thread yesterday? LOL.

No, what happened is you roared with laughter at my suggestion that mathematics is in some sense Platonic, aka it exists independently of human opinion, human experience, human memory.

You're free to believe ratio, quantity, topology, quantification did not exist until modern humans started working with the concepts.

I think ratio, quantity, topology existed billions of years before humans. It always took three quarks to make a neutron, and the quantifiable nature of gravity always existed.

The fact that the math we discover and derive so surprisingly describes reality to an extremely high level of precision is overwhelming evidence that math is part of the fabric of physical reality, not something our minds just invented.

I am CONSTANTLY astounded how poorly you understand any point I raise. Seriously. It's like you don't actually READ what I post. You find a word you don't like and you misinterpret my point so you can insult me.

What kind of fucked up rage machine are you?

Bullshit. What I said was that I don't believed YOU had a clue what that concept even meant. You never explained it and you refuse to so I know I'm right.

Topology. There you go spouting off words to sound impressive. Try answering the question once for a change

Because you don't understand what I'm saying. You just want to insult me.

And I love how you are dodging the other question. You get me banned from your other thread yesterday? LOL.
Thanks for finally admitting defeat and confessing that mathematics is objectively real in a kind of Platonic sense. Something you spent a month howling in objection to

Thanks for finally admitting defeat and confessing that mathematics is objectively real in a kind of Platonic sense.

Dishonest as usual. So I will ask you once more: what do you mean it is Platonic? Just asking you to explain your position. No insults necessary. Just try to explain your position in plain language.

If you can't I will take it as a tacit confession that you don't really know what you mean.

Back