Why does this make me laugh?

Every time I see the picture it makes me chuckle a bit. There is no way I'd pay for this thing, but it is a conversation piece.

So where here are the government banning "pointed knives"?

From what i can see some doctors called for some impractical measures to be taken against some kitchen knives and the government's response was that the measures already on the statute book were adequate.

Since 2005, when the article was published, pointed kitchen knives are freely available to purchase in all good knife emporiums. You can stop worrying now.
No. I must be vigilant, and protect the right of people to have pointy knives! You know Gordon Browns is just salivating at the chance to ban them. First he'll do a registry, then you know what follows!

Every time I see the picture it makes me chuckle a bit. There is no way I'd pay for this thing, but it is a conversation piece.

You know, it's destined for one of those "gadget catalogues" (i assume you get them over there as well) full of pointless stuff to reach round the back of radiators and ear-cleaning vacuums.

Mind you, the sheer gullibility of some folk is astounding, as demonstrated perfectly by this thread.

fer crying out loud, get a grip..
your nanny government has called for the banning of pointed knives, so why do you think this inventor invented the non stabbing knife..he sees dollar sings, as you all lose another little piece of you freedoms..

Actually, he sees pound signs. Been seeing them for years, seeing as how he's psychologically traumatised from the time he spent staring into a receiver in the telemarketing industry...

Actually, he sees pound signs. Been seeing them for years, seeing as how he's psychologically traumatised from the time he spent staring into a receiver in the telemarketing industry...

I stand corrected about dollars and pounds, and you made me chuckle with the telemarketing line..:clink:

Why would I want to do that, timmie?
He's made no proclamation that would suggest he was "leaning" in that direction.

Are you suggesting something?

Yeh, I'm suggesting that you are peabrain without an ounce of wit or intelligence. Roll out one of your tired old lines, I wonder how many times you've the Queen of England line now? It wasn't remotely funny when you first used it five years ago and it doesn't get any funnier through retelling. Oh I know, why don't you do the bitch got in the way line, you haven't used that for a while, you fucking muppet.

Yeh, I'm suggesting that you are peabrain without an ounce of wit or intelligence. Roll out one of your tired old lines, I wonder how many times you've the Queen of England line now? It wasn't remotely funny when you first used it five years ago and it doesn't get any funnier through retelling. Oh I know, why don't you do the bitch got in the way line, you haven't used that for a while, you fucking muppet.

AWWW, timmie!!
Do you need a hug??

:cof1:

You know I think this thread actually ended up going to the knife-nuts. Which is odd.

Originally the assertion that this was indicative of Britain's nanny state mentality sounded stupid and ridiculous because it was. But after 8 pages of arguing about whether or not anyone in Britain supported the idea of knife-control, it is shown by Tom Pendergast of all people that controls have been in effect for some time.

First they took their guns, now they take their pointy knives...what next?

baseball bats
metal pipes
rolling pins
frying pans

POINTY STICKS..

You know I think this thread actually ended up going to the knife-nuts. Which is odd.

Originally the assertion that this was indicative of Britain's nanny state mentality sounded stupid and ridiculous because it was. But after 8 pages of arguing about whether or not anyone in Britain supported the idea of knife-control, it is shown by Tom Pendergast of all people that controls have been in effect for some time.

People do overwhelmingly support the law banning the possession of knives in public places (without lawful excuse). Why does anyone need to carry a bloody great blade around with them is the question most people in the UK would ask.

Maybe it's just our quaint ideas about civilised people walking the streets of the nation unarmed, which some Americans find objectionable, but we're kind of happy with that.

People do overwhelmingly support the law banning the possession of knives in public places (without lawful excuse). Why does anyone need to carry a bloody great blade around with them is the question most people in the UK would ask.

Maybe it's just our quaint ideas about civilised people walking the streets of the nation unarmed, which some Americans find objectionable, but we're kind of happy with that.

That's fair. I'm not the type who doesn't understand why the choice was made. I just disagree.

In the US though, the question that many of us ask is:

"What right does the government have to forbid the carrying of large blades?"

and

"Does banning large blades actually reduce their use in crimes?", since criminals are not known for following the law to the letter and would be unlikely to oblige such a request by the government.

Last edited:
That's fair. I'm not the type who doesn't understand why the choice was made. I just disagree.

In the US though, the question that many of us ask is:

"What right does the government have to forbid the carrying of large blades?"

and

"Does banning large blades actually reduce their use in crimes?", since criminals are not known for following the law to the letter and would be unlikely to oblige such a request by the government.

We're just culturally opposite in our views on weapons as nations and people.

We're both relatively satisfied that we're taking the correct approach and as long as it's done with the consent of those governed then whose to say which way is better?

Horses for courses and all that.

The carrying of knives is supposed to be subject to a maximum five year sentence but most are just given a warning for a first offence. I fail to see why you would advocate teenagers carrying knives to school or generally in public, but then much about the US mystifies me.

The carrying of knives is supposed to be subject to a maximum five year sentence but most are just given a warning for a first offence. I fail to see why you would advocate teenagers carrying knives to school or generally in public, but then much about the US mystifies me.

IMHO, Essentially, we don't trust each other beyond a certain point. Remember, America is a mixture of various cultures, races, classes and denominations that at various points in history clashed. Now we have all these laws, rules and regulations that primarily are geared for us to get along for the common good while maintaining a sense of indiviudality and personal freedom. However, being that we had a Civil War here that a LOT of people are still arguing about....there is an underlying feeling for a LOT of folk that we have to be able to protect ourselves from a gov't that may turn against them at any moment. This suspicion or precautionary stance (or paranoia, in some cases) manifests itself in the need to be able to grab a weapon of significance at any given moment. Thus, any gov't rule geared towards diminishing access to a weapon gets an allergic reaction.

Mind you, as I said earlier the article did not say that ALL cutlery in England would be manufactured in the manner detailed. But for the American that feels true comfort & security in a warm gun or knife, the article sets off all types of subconscious alarms (real or perceived).

You've never had Dixie for a neighbor.

We're both relatively satisfied that we're taking the correct approach and as long as it's done with the consent of those governed then whose to say which way is better?

Yea, wait till Cooter drops his double wide in your backyard and takes squaters rights or some homeboy walks up and pops a cap in your ass. You'll sing a different tune. Personally I prefer to hang in places where I don't need a weapon, but Charver, that don't always happen.

In other words, over there, the people are the property of the government, and not the other way around. :pke:

In other words, over there, the people are the property of the government, and not the other way around. :pke:

Don't be so ridiculous, Three.

queen_elizabeth_ii1244224853.jpg

Strictly speaking we all belong to her.

Back