Why Habitable Exoplanets Are Bad News

Agreed it's artificial. Since we only have one example of life in the Universe, our set of examples is very limited. The fact scientists have shown it could possibly work is interesting, albeit not definitive. Similarly, we've found amino acids in meteors but no life.

Still, in a universe as large as ours, even if it's just one in a billionth chance, it's still a chance.

Yes, nothing is impossible. But it is a very reasonable inference to surmise silicon-based life seems to be highly unlikely.

Yes, nothing is impossible. But it is a very reasonable inference to surmise silicon-based life seems to be highly unlikely.

Based on the evidence, life off Earth seems to be highly unlikely. :)

I will agree that carbon-based life is more likely than silicon-based life but we only have one example to go by. Not a very scientific analysis. LOL

Just because you've sampled 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the universe you have decreed likelihood!

Are you familiar with Type II errors?

Synthetically substituting Si for C in a molecule under controlled laboratory conditions is light years away from actual Si based life.

Why would you simply substitute Si for C? Why not look at silicones? Those don't substitute Si for C?

SI and C have some chemical similarities, but substantial differences too. Si is a metalloid, while C is a nonmetal; C is more reactive than Si; and C is capable of forming many more types of complex molecules and polymers than Si.

Si and C are both in Group IV on the periodic table. That means that they chemically have a lot in common. The differences are more around the fact that Si has another energy level for electrons and because of the nature of these electrons and the size of the atom it doesn't self-catenate like C.

But it is still tetravalent and forms long chains and branched networks of Si-O.

But the clincher for me is that we have never see Silicon-based biology anywhere on Earth, even though all the chemical ingredients, neccessary geologic time, and diverse thermal and chemical environments are all here

Argument from incredulity.

You sample 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the universe and draw a conclusion about probability.

Type II error is now far more probable.

(If you don't understand some of the points in this post please feel free to ask me to explain them. I will be glad to.)

Thanks.

I do every day. You should learn to be less defensive. Perhaps more confidence would cure your bullying issues.

I haven't seen you post much in the way of science. So you actually know some? Cool. What science is your "specialty"? And why do you not talk about it?

I haven't seen you post much in the way of science.

So you actually know some? Cool. What science is your "specialty"? And why do you not talk about it?
That's because you like to leap to conclusions. You have a habit of preforming what you want to say instead of absorbing more data then drawing an updated conconclusion.

Yes. Behaviorism. I do all time, Perry. Again, you are displaying your premature ejaculation problem with differing opinions.

Behaviorism??? What is that?

So you just take your impressions of people and call it "science"?

I can see why you seem to live in the Type II error region. Seems you like it there.
LOL Now I can see why you didn't do well in college, Jank. Thanks for the input.

If you were really interested, you can read here:
https://www.simplypsychology.org/behaviorism.html
Behaviorism, also known as behavioral psychology, is a theory of learning which states all behaviors are learned through interaction with the environment through a process called conditioning. Thus, behavior is simply a response to environmental stimuli.

https://www.psychologistanywhereany...hologists/psychologist_famous_b_f_skinner.htm
B. F. Skinner was one of the most influential of American psychologists. A behaviorist, he developed the theory of operant conditioning -- the idea that behavior is determined by its consequences, be they reinforcements or punishments, which make it more or less likely that the behavior will occur again. Skinner believed that the only scientific approach to psychology was one that studied behaviors, not internal (subjective) mental processes.

Maybe. Define "armchair psychologist".

An individual (likely an older man) who thinks they know all about "people" and will dispense their opinions regardless of how tired and uninformed they are. They fancy themselves better than those they "judge" but are, in fact, just pitiful old dudes.

It makes me happy. See, Jank? Who is the real bully here?

You are.

Lots of things, Jank. Why do you care?

Ahhh, so YOU are the "college drop out" you accused me of being. more "projection" (there's some armchair psychology for you!)

Just because you've sampled 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the universe you have decreed likelihood!

Are you familiar with Type II errors?

The laws of physics and chemistry are the same everywhere in the observable universe.

If we have never seen silicon-based biology on Earth, despite having the appropriate chemistry, the neccessary ample geologic time, and a wide array of localized thermal and chemical conditions that is a strong clue to me that Si based life just doesn't a good chance of evolving and propagating.

Why would you simply substitute Si for C? Why not look at silicones? Those don't substitute Si for C?

Si and C are both in Group IV on the periodic table. That means that they chemically have a lot in common. The differences are more around the fact that Si has another energy level for electrons and because of the nature of these electrons and the size of the atom it doesn't self-catenate like C.

But it is still tetravalent and forms long chains and branched networks of Si-O.

Argument from incredulity.

You sample 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the universe and draw a conclusion about probability.

Type II error is now far more probable.

(If you don't understand some of the points in this post please feel free to ask me to explain them. I will be glad to.)

Talk about believing in invisible elephants and ghostly vunicorns.

Here's a poster holding forth the strong possiblity of silicon-based life, without a shred of evidence and not one single observation to support the claim.

An individual (likely an older man) who thinks they know all about "people" and will dispense their opinions regardless of how tired and uninformed they are. They fancy themselves better than those they "judge" but are, in fact, just pitiful old dudes.

You are.

Ahhh, so YOU are the "college drop out" you accused me of being. more "projection" (there's some armchair psychology for you!)
Thanks, Jank. I'm almost as impressed that you were able to formulate an answer as I am in your projections about the knowledge and experiences of others. IMO, your anger and jealousy are driving you to false conclusions.

You and I can agree to disagree on who is the bigger bully here.

Wrong again, Perry. Unlike you, I am not angered by people believing I didn't graduate college. The "Sticks and Stones" rule always applies on forums.

Here's a poster holding forth the strong possiblity of silicon-based life, without a shred of evidence and not one single observation to support the claim.

He believes in invisible silicon elephants. :thup:

Why are you afraid to talk actual science? Do you feel intimidated that a non-scientist appears to know more about science than you do? I haven't seen you say much of any technical value.

(At least your buddy/sock Doc Dutch can be counted on to always have your back. He doesn't talk science either.)

Why are you afraid to talk actual science? Do you feel intimidated that a non-scientist appears to know more about science than you do? I haven't seen you say much of any technical value.

(At least your buddy/sock Doc Dutch can be counted on to always have your back. He doesn't talk science either.)

I leave you to ponder the mysteries of the invisible silicon unicorns.

It's not an interesting scientific question, since there is no science or tangible evidence to support it.

I leave you to ponder the mysteries of the invisible silicon unicorns.

It's not an interesting scientific question, since there is no science or tangible evidence to support it.

Ironically for the only person on here to claim any scientific background you sure don't seem to know much science.

I wonder why that is. You seem to know EXACTLY as much science as Doc Dutch does! Hmmmmmmm.

Back